Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks Mike!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 120 is going to need more coral to fill it. That will lead to more water chemistry demands, especially SPS, which means more additives(Ca, ALk, magnesium). Add in larger PWC's and the extra salt mix, media, electricity, (lights, pumps, etc), etc. used and there is a decent difference in yearly cost between the three. FOWLR would be different. If it's going to be a reef, your most likely going to want to fill it w/ many different pieces of coral. Even if you just add a few corals, they will eventually grow enough on their own to fill it. More coral mass = more upkeep expense. If you go w/ the 120 gal I would go w/ 250w MH.

FWIW I was using 70ml of each part B-ionic daily on a little 55 w/ SPS, a 120 SPS tank would need a Ca reactor or kalk reactor. I recently switched to kalkwassr w/ vinegar to reduce the price and hassle of dosing so much 2 part, along w/ adding some needed stability. Also dosing so much at once was raising my PH too much too fast, along w/ the daily Ca/Alk jumps/drops. W/ SPS comes a whole new can of worms regarding stability, maintenance, demands, etc. A 120 is going to be pricey. Sorry if I sounded negative or discouraging. I don't mean to be, just pointing out issues I myself have thought about when thinking about upgrading. HTH and can't wait to see pics.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There is a local guy here selling a custom 120. It has a single center overflow and a Closed loop. He is selling it with a sump, pumps, stand, AquaC skimmer and light fixture. The fixture is a 2x250 with a single 150 MH in the center and the bulbs are a few months old.

Everything for $1000. Not sure if he is going to part out or not though. Nice tank though. I bought a clam and some livestock from him on Friday.

As for additives, that will depend on what you keep for sure. I have a lot of SPS right now and I don't dose much at all. I use a salt that is high in Ca and alk so a lot of dosing is not necessary. Big tank will be more expensive though. I will be tearing down my 75 gal shortly to move everything into the 180. Let me know if you want to go small If you want more info on the 120, PM me and I will give you the guys ph#

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

If you are looking for a tank you can try craigslist, if you haven't thought of that already. You also mentioned only a 4' area to work with; however, you failed to mention how large of a width is available to you? Is the in-wall system going to be visible from two rooms or just a single viewpoint?

As far as aquarium size, I would base my thoughts upon initial vs. routine expenses, available time management, and what will be easiest for you to work in and around.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

WOW!! Great insights, I appreciate all of the input.

I have a 72g with a lot of SPS that are growing like mad..I don't dose anything and my CA is steady at 400-420. I keep it there with regular PWCs....

As for the space available I can go any height and easily accomidate a 24" depth. right now the space is occupied with a 55 and 2 tens, the only thing is they are visible from the hallway not the living room. The new tank will go in the same place only I will be cutting a hole in the wall to allow the new tank to be viewed from the living room. One sided as the back will be doored to hide back of the tank and plumbing....

EDIT

My wife said 90 is as big as I'm allowed to go so that takes care of that decision.....LOL
Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Haha, just had to throw this link in here that I found earlier today. He's in Woodbridge, not a bad price for that setup. Is that too big?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...309831468.html

Edit:
Quote:
My wife said 90 is as big as I'm allowed to go so that takes care of that decision.....LOL
well, nevermind then...

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Wow, Lindsay, that is a great price for a 210G w/a 55G sump, including the plumbing!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Very good price. If I had my own house I'd have that thing, for sure.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

LOL...I found that last night too...awesome price for that tank and everything in it....I just went through every hobbiest worst nightmare.....9 hours of no power....thankfully I was able to keep the temp up because I heat with a wood stove and was able to run one pump my nano stream with a car battery....the power has finally come back on and I'm able to filter the water again.....this has been a mess!!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I have a 72g with a lot of SPS that are growing like mad..I don't dose anything and my CA is steady at 400-420. I keep it there with regular PWCs....
How big are they and how old? I did not notice a large increase in demands until about a year, year and a half after adding my SPS. Once they get acclimated, which can take months in my experience, they start really increasing size and consumption. My colonies are fairly large now, I have two stags that put on a .5 inch plus a month. A couple colonies are over 12"x 12". W/ time, I feel very comfortable saying, PWC's will not be enough. I have a total of 6 SPS colonies, 2 fairly large LPS, and a 5" Crocea clam. I use 19 ppm Ca and .87 meg/l Alk daily. PWC's w/ any salt mix can not maintain that. You can see their size in gallery if your interested. Just my .02.

PS- those are some good deals!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com