Need your help: How/What do you use to keep records about your setup -benefits you :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthonym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'll give a brief introduction. My father has been into salt water aquariums for years. His birthday is coming up later this year, so I thought of a good idea for a gift for him. After seeing the announcement of the Apple iPad the other day, I thought I would write some really nice logging software (being that I am a software engineer for a living) and give him an iPad with it installed. The software would be for logging temps, PH levels, etc over time. With the ability to visualize data over time with graphs, and what have you. Did some searching, and found this forum and thought this might be a great place to get input for many many salt water enthusiasts.

The software, when completed, would be free with the source code available as well to anyone who is interested in that kind of thing.

Here is where you all would come in. I don't know a whole lot about aquariums/saltwater, etc. Can you please tell me what kind of maintenance information you log about your setup. How you usually do this (paper, existing software for desktop computers, etc). Basically any information you can give me about keeping/maintaining records, and all the things you usually record. Additionally, what kind of features would you as an aquarium enthusiast like to see in software like this? If there is existing software like this for desktop computers, please tell me about this as well. It would also make a good reference for this project.

Sorry for the long winded post. I hope this gets a fair bit of attention, as I think this could turn into a pretty cool project that could benefit all of you. Looking forward to hearing feedback from you guys! :)

-Anthony

Sounds like a great idea Anthony! For records, I regularly keep a log of PH levels, Alkalinity, phosphate readings, calcium levels and consumption, Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia readings, water changes (amount and date),Salinity readings and a live stock list. I do all the numbers stuff by entering the info into excel on my netbook and just store a simple .txt file for the stock list. Good luck with the design and implementation! :D

It may be easier for you to just design a spreadsheet. Thats all i do. I have one the I made on Numbers that i have a separate sheet for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, water changes. They all feed in to a graph that shows the readings over the last 6 months (except the water changes, they just show how often i do them). For the most part, the readings are all consistant, which means alot. Great idea though

Back
Top Bottom