need your suggestions/comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok everyone here is my first saltwater tank. What would you change about the setup including the sump. Both of my returns are pointing towards the waters surface. And I know I need better lights:rollface:

sump.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Looks like a nice start!! :)
definitely some more rock is needed. Also depending on the power of your pumps, a PH or 2 for circulation (especially if you get more rock) would help with the long tank.
Looking good!

yea a couple power heads are in my future.....also think I may move my overflow to the corner of my tank, and of course a DIY canopy with better lights will help too

Looks great! What size tank is that? It would make a great reef. Long and shallow will give you great light penetration for your corals. What do you have in mind for it?

according to a site online the dimensions tell me it's a 33gal long, however I always thought it was a 55gal long. I do plan to have a reef tank but right now the lights are not good enough. I'm gonna try a DIY light w/canopy

Build a canopy out of poplar, and then get a couple 1x96watt PC kits from www.ahsupply.com
It's cheaper and prettier than the JBJ or Coralife fixtures, and with 2 1x96 kits you can stagger the light timers so you don't have to blast 192watts into the tank all at once. Also, if budget doesn't allow for 2 kits at once, you can put one in, and add the second in a few months :)

Back
Top Bottom