Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you don't want the bio ball set up. it's going to eventually work against you. as i said, you can make a sump out of a 20 long or something similar if money is an issue. i can walk you through that if necessary.

to answer your question, no, you don't really need a refugium, but it's a great benefit to have one. it is an excellent way to lower the nutrient level in the system, and also to grow pods. it's yet another component to keep your tank healthy. btw, that was a sump i linked you to, it just has been partitioned to include a refugium. a sump is just an extra tank that shares the same water.
you could also check your local craigslist and backpage for deals. many folks sell used equipment there. (it's mostly people who try to cut corners and fail miserably, then give up).
if you want clams, anemones, and stony corals you will need powerful lighting. you have a few choices with lighting. you can go with metal halides (i would recommend 2 x 250 watts), high output T5 (i would want 6x54 watt), or LED, which is the most expensive. all of these have their pros and cons, but all of them will allow you to keep whatever you want, providing you buy a quality unit.

one more thing- is there any way at all you can return the 55 and purchase a 75 maybe? the 55 is going to be quite challenging to aquascape and is going to limit you on a few fronts. while you are at it, you can get a reef ready tank and skip the HOB overflow box. it will make your life a lot easier.
if you stay in this hobby and have success, you will thank me later for this suggestion.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I honestly just bought a b-new 29gal tank and then while surfing online I seen the 55gal used nice one in craiglist yesterday and bought it with stand for 90$ I was still kinda doubtful about that yesterday but my husband insisted I should pay it off since we already went there and bring the tank with us even though the stand was still left there. Now last night I seen a complete set up and established 75gal tank for just 550 and I so regret I followed my husband which kinda upset me and pisses me off coz I don't really want to get that 55gal yesterday anyway now I do not know if they guy I acquired it for will take it back I am so im am so kinda upset now. It's hard to work into something if your partner doesn't carry the same interest in the things you do he is against about my hobby, pets everything! while he is the one who made me live in the middle of nowhere and I got nothing else to do but entertain myself and I really do love to be busy around, wanted to find a job here but its almost impossible but I do take responsibility of the things I wanted its just sometimes its good to have someone who support the things that makes you happy and give a fair advice about it. He should be proud of me coz I been a city girl all my life and all of this things really new to me but when I set myself into something I don't usually give up easily and will try my best to make it work and keep it going. Sorry for the drama lol. You been a big help to me and I do appreciate your patience and time replying on my post. If I can refund my money for the 55gal one definitely I will want the fully set up 550 75gal one its an absolute great deal but my other problem is I don't know how to transport it from the owner to my place for 1 1/2 hr drive w/out killing the corals and fish in there. Is it ok for the corals to be out of the water for approximately 10hours??? and is it safe to move the tank with the live rocks still in there or I have to remove them all of the tank 1st?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

buy the 75 and use the 55 as your sump!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

corals are shipped overnight in bags all the time. you can do this. you will need a few bins from walmart...have some extra water made..as much as you can...
you will have to remove the rock from the tank..put it in bins/buckets and keep everything submerged in water if at all possible. chuck the sand bed though..give the tank a rinse, then put everything back.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #15

and I will still need refugium?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, if you are going to use the 55 as a sump, why not throw a couple partitions in it and have a refugium as well?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #17

great! I just dont know how to properly set it up by myself since I can't have anyone in here that will show me how to do it. and if i will ask a professional it will surely cost me more $$$ (sigh)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #18

Hey Doug! can you check this listing in craiglist and see the description on it and based on what the seller wrote down in the can you please tell me what else I might need it I will buy off his tank? thanks! complete reef tank for sale
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is a 55 that i partitioned...see, pretty easy-

Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #20

I don't think my husband will l let me set up two tanks in the living room where I wanted to put my tank and mess with his fully carpeted floor.

Tags
55 gallon, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com