Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Listen to whatever Mr. X says you should check out this tank he has been working on.... The tank at Devon Fitness Club thread.... Very nice tank setup..

Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
eh..it could be better, if the owner would untie my hands!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those lovely "Owners".... It is ashame if I had someone to take care of my tank I would give them full reigns. I think I spelled that right...LOL
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

2 days is not enough to start stocking your tank and forget the canister filter and the wet/dry filter once and for all. they are old tech. I guess what we are looking at here (as always) is cost. How much do you want to spend? I'll list some parts for a 55 to give you some idea. I agree with X on the 75 though. you will apreciate the extra depth. The epuipment will be about the same for the 75

Low End
Tank
Argonite sand 30-50 lbs don't bother with live sand
Live Rock 50-75 lbs - Craigs list $2.00/lb. (make sure they never put copper in the tank.
Power heads - Koralia 2 Power Head by Hydor - AquaCave
Lighting - AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine
HOB Skimmer - AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump - AquaCave
Heater - Finnex HPS-200 200W Digital Glass Aquarium Heater - AquaCave

That would be a minimum for Fish and LPS corals. It is what I ran as my first tank almost exactly. My nitrates stayed below 15 and I did a 20% water change every 10 days.

Mid Range
Power heads - Same
Lighting - http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtuem...ndant-kit.html
Skimmer - http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtuem...n-skimmer.html

Will handle SPS corals anemones and clams. still doing weekly water changes

High End
Power heads - 1 Vortech MP40W ES Propeller Pump by EcoTech Marine - AquaCave
LIghting - 2 Aqua Illuminations SOL Super Blue Modular LED Lighting System - AquaCave
Skimmer - Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 1000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer - AquaCave
Overflow Box - CPR CS90 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave
Sump - Just use the 29 and build your own. YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1
Return Pump - Sicce Syncra Water Pump Model 2.0, 528 GPH - AquaCave
Heater - Finnex 300W Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube - AquaCave
Media Reactors - 3 Phos Ban Media Reactor 150 by Two Little Fishes - AquaCave 1 for GFO 1 for Carbon 1 for Biopellets(need optional screen)
Carbon - 1.5 Pounds- Half Gallon Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon - English
GFO - 1.75 pound (453 Grams) Bulk GFO "High Capacity" Ferric Oxide - English
Biopellets - Two Little Fishes NPX Bioplastics
Controler - Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper LITE System LEVEL 3 (PLUS) - AquaCave

and more. dosing pumps for 2 part, a calicum reactor, or kalk reactor. maybe a chiller.......

The last one is a version of what I am running on my 120 gal now. virtually no maintence. monthly 30% water changes.

I know there is stuff I forgot....
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok here is what I decided, will start my 55gal aquarium since I can't return it anymore, then please send me a list again on what's all the stuff I will be needing to get it going coz even though I won't put corals right away and let the water be establish 1st but for sure there will be soft & hard corals later on.

Question is.....As soon as I get the set up ready to run, can I put the rock right away together with the sand??? Also how long I have to let it run before I can put some corals on it? Lastly, instead of refugium is there any other similar thing like it that I can get that is least expensive??? Please help me through posting the stuff I will be needing and include their purpose in my tank as well (still ignorant in reefing) thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you don't need a refugium. it's just another component that helps clean the water. you also don't need GFO, bio pellets, media reactors, controllers. those things just may or may not make your experience easier.

you will want to add the rock and sand, then cycle the tank. you will need an ammonia source. usually, uncured live rock has enough die off on it to start a cycle, but if not, many people have had success tossing in a raw cocktail shrimp and letting that rot in the tank for a little while to raise ammonia levels. then you wait it out. i would say about 3 weeks to a month, and you are ready for livestock.
you can add corals as soon as the cycle is over.

you will need strong lighting for corals. mushrooms and zoanthids generally are moderate lighting corals, but any stony corals/clams/anemones will need stronger lighting. i listed what you should use on the previous page. a 2 lamp t-5 fixture will not do.

also, use a reef grade salt mix. this should be closer to natural sea water and will allow you to keep a moderate amount of corals with just weekly water changes. every element you need in the water to keep photosynthetic corals is right in the salt mix.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #27

So what should I be buying to start it running then??? overhead? sump? filter? I will really buy a nice light for it coz I really want those nice stuff on my tank to keep them alive and healthy. I saw something on ebay that I posted a link, its pretty cheap and its a combination of little refugium/protein skimmer just not sure if its right for me? here is the link for that HOB refugium/skimmer

Refugium Protein Skimmer Filter Combo Coral Reef 55g - eBay (item 110646412186 end time Mar-09-11 17:29:22 PST)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nova Extreme Pro HO T5 is great T5HO light for a 55g tank 6x54w! I have it and love it. Fits perfect on top of the tank.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dr. Foster & Smith has the 48" Nova Extreme Pro HO T5 on sale:
www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+18700&pcatid=18 700
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #30

Wow nice catch thanks! what else will I need beside lighting of course?? Mr. X help!!!

Tags
55 gallon, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com