Negatives in not using mounting docks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got the nova extreme, and its working :D

anyways i broke 2 of the docking mounts trying to put them in, my god they are not a good fit

one of them literally snapped in half and the other bent out of shape, can i just put the light directly above my tank? i have a long tank so im worried it will be too much light, but what are the side effects, i have a glass top so it wont be directly above the tank

I've seen them on top a glass right about the tank but if you have a canopy you should Velcro it to that or screw it in some people hand them from yarn or string from the ceiling of their store or house to keep the light above the tank

hmm why velcro? Right now i have a regular top hood+light from petsmart. I can remove the light from the petsmart but keep the glass cover(canopy?) and just place the nova directly on top

i emailed the provider to ask for replacement docks but if i cant get it free i have to pay 12+ :/. Is the light going to over heat or damage my fish if its not mounted?

well now i cant tell if my fixture is broken
every time i turn the light on, it turns on for a second and turns off

i can get them to stay on, but as soon as i place them on the aquarium they turn off

i can hear the surge of electricity just come in and leave, im starting to think i got another broken nova extreme, the lights are in as tight as can be.....

edit: so i took them out, tried a diff pair of bulbs and they kept short circuiting. I put my new ones back in and they started to work, its kind of scary that it keeps turning on and off but right now its fine, should i be worried this is a bad fixture? i dont want it to burn out in 1 week

ill have some pics in later, but im not sure if all the light is entering my tank, it seems to be reflecting off the glass top

Wow I had problems like that too maybe your ground is not grounded and my fiend used Velcro so he could easily remove them from their spots to change the bulb just and idea

ah, well yeah im not sure if the wiring is good, i am not good with that stuff, so i cant fix it myself or even check but here are some pics, it looks like ..too blueish? i mean i like it, but im not sure if its getting the full effect, tbh its not as "bright" as i thought it would be but maybe i expected too much. Also i want to say that my ballast is good since the lights are not flickering when its a tight connection, but its hard to get a tight connection, any way to trouble shoot if its a bad ballast or wiring?

im stuck with it though and now i can get corals, but my main concern is if i can take the mounts off because its soooo flimsy, if i touch it, it will fall, and its really hard to take the docking mounts on and off
img_2245055_0_90ef9885577e7f3b6ca45151c47d4706.jpg

not sure if the black rim part is reducing the light going in, if it is i would take off my glass top and leave it rimless for more light

img_2245055_1_cb3c23b6dec85a609e83cf735c0f0a98.jpg
i feel like too much light is reflecting here, should i remove that hood too?

img_2245055_2_aa402ad4808925b80f25afc6fb677897.jpg
lot of light reflecting off my walls, i just feel like there is too much light everywhere but the tank, if you look at my far left rock, its nothing but blue tint

ah, well yeah im not sure if the wiring is good, i am not good with that stuff, so i cant fix it myself or even check but here are some pics, it looks like ..too blueish? i mean i like it, but im not sure if its getting the full effect, tbh its not as "bright" as i thought it would be but maybe i expected too much. Also i want to say that my ballast is good since the lights are not flickering when its a tight connection, but its hard to get a tight connection, any way to trouble shoot if its a bad ballast or wiring?

im stuck with it though and now i can get corals, but my main concern is if i can take the mounts off because its soooo flimsy, if i touch it, it will fall, and its really hard to take the docking mounts on and off

not sure if the black rim part is reducing the light going in, if it is i would take off my glass top and leave it rimless for more light

i feel like too much light is reflecting here, should i remove that hood too?

lot of light reflecting off my walls, i just feel like there is too much light everywhere but the tank, if you look at my far left rock, its nothing but blue tint

Take off the hood and position the light dead center both ways. Also no worries about too much light, you dont have enough to cause a problem.

alright, this will mean i have to go rimless, no worries i always wanted it like that, as long as my midas dont jump and my snails dont escape

when i turn my light off, and when i first turn it on, there is a clicking sound

it sounds like the mounts but what could it be? it goes away after a while
it sounds like a creaking sound but only happens when turning the lights on, and after it turns off

pairenoid said:
when i turn my light off, and when i first turn it on, there is a clicking sound

it sounds like the mounts but what could it be? it goes away after a while
it sounds like a creaking sound but only happens when turning the lights on, and after it turns off

It's hard to say without having the light in front of me. Try calling the company.

I would say you want the mounting legs to keep the light a certain height above the tank for the proper light spread the fixture intended to have.

Back
Top Bottom