Neon Gobies are great!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a neon goby and recently I put him in my main after QT'ing. These fish, pound for pound, are some of the most personable and least shy! Three days ago he started cleaning other fish including my Y. tang and even my maroon clown. The fish seem to tolerate him much better than the cleaner shrimp. Neon goby=Little fish=little bio-load+great personality and symbiotic behavior=awesome!!! If your looking for something interesting and/or you have a smaller tank check these out. On top of all that they are easily bred in aquariums and many that are available are tank raised (y) (y)

The yellow tang I have enjoys this fish so much it's like I installed a spa for him/her! It is very fun to watch the goby clean the tang like one of those fish you see on sharks. I really like this fish.
"like one of those fish you see on sharks."
Anyone know their name?

tjara03 said:
i been looking into getting one myself... are they fairly easy to take care of???
Absolutely. As I said most are aquacultured and readily accept frozen, flake food, etc. On top of that, IME, they will readily clean certain fish often kept- mostly larger fish ie. Tangs and occasionally my Maroon Clown.

They get big is all that I know and are really not very aquarium suitable from what I have heard. I think fishsupply.com has some.

Konrade said:
They get big is all that I know and are really not very aquarium suitable from what I have heard
Absolutely untrue! They only grow to 2" max. As I said they are commonly aquacultured, hardy, and readily accept prepared foods along w/ setting up cleaning stations.

"Gobies may sometimes attempt jump out. Prefer presence of substrate. Gobiosoma oceanops (Jordan 1904), the Neon Goby. Very popular, and renowned for its hardy attributes, the Neon Goby is a colourful addition to almost all tanks. If provided with plenty of shelter, this peaceful fish will happily mate and spawn in a well-maintained aquarium. Neon gobies will often set up a 'station' and keep fish clean of parasites and dead scales."
-from marinedepotlive.com.

could i add a pair of neon gobies if i already have a yellow watchman goby, a yellow tang, and two ocelleris clowns? I wouldn't want to add a pair of neon gobies at this point if they were going to get attacked by the other tank mates.

I have gone through two so far. Unfortunately there small size and curiosity makes them apt to disappear into intakes overflow boxes etc. They are also quite short lived at a year or two.

Good candidate for a nano, fuge or even a qt since they are inexpensive and apt to rid any quarantined fish of parasites.

I have been looking into getting a mated pair of these, but LiveAquaria says that they need to be fed every day! Is this true in your experience?

thanks...

I got the neon blue cleaner gobies. Not sure they are remoras. Anyway, they're small and won't do much to the bio-load. A mated pair would be ideal IMO.

Mine are feed with the others. Sometimes daily. Sometimes every other day. I've left'm for a week without problems.

cool, thanks....I only feed three times per week, so I refuse to feed daily for just one fish...ha.

austinsdad said:
blue cleaner gobies. Not sure they are remoras.
I was just asking about Remora's b/c they act and look similar to the goby's right down to the stripes :wink: Very different fish though.
zenn said:
could i add a pair of neon gobies if i already have a yellow watchman goby, a yellow tang, and two ocelleris clowns?
Should be fine. I have all those same fish- except I have a maroon clown.
Dr.Nate said:
need to be fed everyday. Is this true in your experience?
I feed about every other day. They do have big appetites for such tiny fish. I think your current feeding schedule will be enough.
tjara03 said:
how long did it take until he started cleaning your other fish??
It had been in my main tank for about 2-3 weeks when I saw it cleaning for the first time.
Happy reefing!

Back
Top Bottom