Nervous New Clown...normal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJMS86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well...we just brought home our newest tank mate..a small clown fish...however ...ever since he has been in the new tank he keeps swimming very rapidly back and forth on the top of the tank...is this normal for clowns? I haven't had one before..just a goby and a chromis...I cant get into the chat room...so any help would be appreciated...Thanks!!:confused:

He should calm down when he gets used to his surroundings. If he gets too excited just cut the lights off for a few hours. That should calm him down. BTW the chat is down for maint for a few days.

Not so nervous, but finicky eater..is that normal?

So...my clown has been in the tank since Monday(5 days) and he has calmed down a lot...still occasionally does the darting...but not much. He is swimming nicely with the chromis...like they became friends ;)
My question is...he has only slightly seemed interested in eating. Maybe 3 things in the last several days...mostly eats and spits in out. Is that usual because he is new to tank...or does he just not like the food?
I've tried flake, 2 types pellets and live brine shrimp...any suggestions??
Thanks for the input!!

It could be that it's not used to the food that you are offering. I've never seen clowns have a problem eating anything, but this one may be fussy. You can try mysis shrimp as a lot of dealers use those for feedings.

Try feeding smaller pellets if your feeding medium size could be a tad big to big for him to munch on yet- But I would try mysis or Rod's food if you have any- HTH... :)

Mine did the same thing although make sure you have something to prevent the fish from jumping out of the tank. Mine did that about 2 weeks ago and died

Fish don't chew, so if they take in foods that is to large they much and spit it out then munch on it again.

still not eating much...

Well...it's been 6 days and he still hasn't eaten much. I spoke with a LFS ( not my regular) and he says not to worry too much..that he will eat when he gets comfortable and that he might still be adjusting to tank and new tank mates. He asked about possible aggression from other fish, but there has been none that I witness (and it's not like they can hide it...small tank) He agreed that I should try the Rod's food (which I bought from him) I will try that in the morning...we shall see.
He does eat like one bite of whatever I put in and seems excited to see/smell food but then acts not interested. He might take a second piece, taste it then spit it out, then never open his mouth again...not munching on anything. And yes, I do have a secure top/lid on tank (as I had read/heard about clown "jumping"
In the meantime - he seems very happy swimming and searching around the tank...to be continued....
BTW...Thanks for all your input so far :)

Back
Top Bottom