Nessarius snails mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So...had a brief 2 hour power outage today. When the lights came back on this evening, I saw what appeared to be a nessarius orgy - 5 or 6 of the buggers in a big pile...

Is it possible that I'm going to be seeing some little bundles of nessarius joy soon? Do snails even reproduce in that manner???

A guy at my lfs told me that nassarius snails will mate in the aquarium. Never seen it though. I would guess that they were feasting on something though.

That was my initial thought as well, but I certainly didn't see anything in there

From the 3 different snail species that I've seen spawn (astreas, nerites, Ceriths) I would say they were eating something. If they spawn like the other 3 the male will spray clouds in the water (looks like little puffs of smoke) that contain sperm, while the female will also spray clouds in water (also looks like little puffs of smoke, but if you look closely they're eggs) they mix and you get babies.

Back
Top Bottom