Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nesting Royal Gramma??

I have two royal gramma's that were the first fish I put in the tank after it cycled. Lately the larger of the two has been packing tank debris into a hole in the rock. The opening is packed with broken off calerpa leaves, sponge pieces, shell pieces. She spends a good deal of time in the cave, could she be nesting? Do they do that? I have watched her pack the pieces in so I know it is her but I don't know why she is doing it. I cannot see down inside of the cave to see if there are eggs or something. Has anyone seen anything like this??

Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont know for sure but it looks like that could be the story. Keep an eye out and let us know.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I finally got a pic of her loading the hole. The other picture is of all of the stuff she has stuck in there, you can barely see there is a hole there. She is protecting it with all her might she opens her mouth and chases anyone that comes near even the larger fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070191.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	14147   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070195.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	14148  

Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Thats really interesting. Do you have more then one that you could have babies on the way?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I was able to find this post:
"The male will make a nest by bring bits of algae into his den. He entices the female into his den to lay eggs by swimming up to her shaking his body and then turn to swims to his den. He does this repeatedly until she follows him into his den. The pair deposits the egg mast inside the den of the male. I was lucky to be able to actually observed the egg mast for a while when the den of my male RG was in an easily viewable spot for a while. The male the stay around the den and guard the eggs until they hatches about one week later. I was able to observe the male carry the larvae in his mouth and spitted them upward into the current one time (in six years of observing my RG) during the night. It was about 3 hours after the light turn out at the time. Male RG do not incubate the eggs in their mouth because they will eats though out the incubation period. "

From Fish of the Week: Gramma loreto,the Royal Gramma
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pat, yes I have two one much smaller, and not nesting.
Thanks cmor, That was totally cool now I am excited. The only thing is that the one I have seen building the nest is the bigger one and usually in fish that's the female isn't it? I don't watch them much at night either so I may have missed that whole dance. Even with a flash light I can't see down in the cave. I will let you know if I see . then
Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Haha wow they make those little smiley faces for everything don't they. Very cool i hope it works out and there are little RG running all over. Must be an interesting process to watch.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

From that same article "They have sexual dimorphism where the males are larger and the ventral fins on the males are longer and do not have a sharp point while the female RG have shorter that ended in a sharp point. "

This is great. Please keep us posted on the progress.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could you guys give me the link to that article, please? I would like to read it.
I will keep you informed if anything develops.
If he is the male, do they guard the eggs? Because he won't let her near the cave.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry everyone, I'm new, and not trying to hijack. I just put a Royal Gramma in my tank about a week ago, and I had to leave out of town for 2 days. When I came back home, my RG was in my Live Rock. I thought at first he had jumped out, but if I use a flash light I can see just a small portion of his tail sticking out of a hole deep in the rock. I've tried to get him out. Shaking the rock under water, nothing seems to be working. Is it a female nesting, or is he stuck? I really don't know what to do at this point, other than break the live rock to pieces to get him out. If he's stuck, he's going to die and then I'm really screwed.

Any ideas?

Tags
royal, royal gramma, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com