Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2003, 11:28 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Netting Fundraiser

If you are a member of ReefCentral, you have already heard about this...but for those of you who are not. I will paraphrase the goals that are trying to be met.
1. Fish collectors in the Phillipines are being taught to use the netting method of catching fish instead of cyanide...main problem, they dont have access to, or cannot afford the netting.

2. Fundraiser is being done to solve problem above, go to this link to help.
http://www.fundafriend.com/needs5.asp?id=65

3. After they have begun using this method,...it was suggested that we be told which wholesalers and therefore stores...are buying the net caught fish and we, as purchasers and concerned individuals can choose to buy from them, thereby applying economic pressure to those companies that are still buying cyanide caught fish. In theory, the idea works.

Just passing the news along to those that may want to help.

I like the idea of matching corporate sponsors. I think they missed an opportunity by not "challenging" different fish boards.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
For everyones reference here is the thread over at www.reefcentral.com

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=191770

I hope you dont have to be a member to read that topic. If you do please inform me and I will talk to the Admin over there and see if I can get permission to post the same info over here.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No, anybody can read. Thanks for moving this to a sticky. So far we've already raised over $1200!!! Fantastic response. Those of you in aquarium societies, please pass along to your fellow members. This is an excellent opportunity for hobbyists to have a REAL impact on diminishing cyanide collection. You can donate as little as $1, so do what can and pass the word along!
Old 05-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It's over $1300 now and if you look at the home page you'll see:
"This particular cause holds the record for the most donations in the shortest time."
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

the coral frag group i am a member of is looking into having an event just for this purpose (of course we will also have some fun) but we feel it is not reaching out enough, I would love to see cyanide totally out of the picture, not just one city of one country.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

d9hp,

I'm Mary Middlebrook of Marine Specialties International- organizer of the Net Fund. I'm not sure where you got the idea that this was only benefiting one city in one country. This initial fundraiser is for trainings all over the Philippines. There are 2 countries in the industry that participate heavily in the cyanide trade- Philippines and Indonesia. We are starting with the Philippines because trainings have already taken place there and reform is slowly building. As stated in the original post, Indonesia will be next on the list. Once cyanide is eradicated in those 2 countries, we will have eliminated 90% of the problem.

Glad to hear that your coral frag group wants to support the cause! After you make your donation, send me a banner and we'll put it up on the main web page we are creating to track the project.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would love to send you a banner. Also, I just want to say thank you for doing all of this. I have been following this at RC and did know that Indonesia was next on the list, but I did not know that these two countries would totally knock out 90% of the cyanide. You seem like such a wonderful person. God bless you and your work

P.S. Do you own SeaCrop? If so, I can not wait to get my hands on your rescue 6 pack. The only thing I am sceptical of is the fact I dont know what I get. I think I am up for the surprise as long as aiptasia is not sent. (from Aaron's experience mine will be wonderful if it ever happens)
Old 05-26-2003, 10:45 PM   #8

Yes, I also own SeaCrop. We don't include Aiptasia in our Nano-Packs. You have to buy the special "Pest Hitchhiker" pack if you want those
Old 05-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
You have to buy the special "Pest Hitchhiker" pack if you want those
Thats some funny stuff there.

I can vouce for Mary's quality control. Even the nano packs that are frags of corals that are not eledgable for wholesale are excellent. My personal goal is to be able to one day frag the corals I got as frags. This in my view will complete the circle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 AM   #10

Challenge:

Whoever got a grin out of the "Pest Hitchhiker" comment has to contribute $5 to the net fund!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com