Netting Fundraiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you are a member of ReefCentral, you have already heard about this...but for those of you who are not. I will paraphrase the goals that are trying to be met.
1. Fish collectors in the Phillipines are being taught to use the netting method of catching fish instead of cyanide...main problem, they dont have access to, or cannot afford the netting.

2. Fundraiser is being done to solve problem above, go to this link to help.
http://www.fundafriend.com/needs5.asp?id=65

3. After they have begun using this method,...it was suggested that we be told which wholesalers and therefore stores...are buying the net caught fish and we, as purchasers and concerned individuals can choose to buy from them, thereby applying economic pressure to those companies that are still buying cyanide caught fish. In theory, the idea works.

Just passing the news along to those that may want to help.

I like the idea of matching corporate sponsors. I think they missed an opportunity by not "challenging" different fish boards.

No, anybody can read. Thanks for moving this to a sticky. So far we've already raised over $1200!!! Fantastic response. Those of you in aquarium societies, please pass along to your fellow members. This is an excellent opportunity for hobbyists to have a REAL impact on diminishing cyanide collection. You can donate as little as $1, so do what can and pass the word along!

It's over $1300 now and if you look at the home page you'll see:
"This particular cause holds the record for the most donations in the shortest time." :D

the coral frag group i am a member of is looking into having an event just for this purpose (of course we will also have some fun) but we feel it is not reaching out enough, I would love to see cyanide totally out of the picture, not just one city of one country.

d9hp,

I'm Mary Middlebrook of Marine Specialties International- organizer of the Net Fund. I'm not sure where you got the idea that this was only benefiting one city in one country. This initial fundraiser is for trainings all over the Philippines. There are 2 countries in the industry that participate heavily in the cyanide trade- Philippines and Indonesia. We are starting with the Philippines because trainings have already taken place there and reform is slowly building. As stated in the original post, Indonesia will be next on the list. Once cyanide is eradicated in those 2 countries, we will have eliminated 90% of the problem.

Glad to hear that your coral frag group wants to support the cause! After you make your donation, send me a banner and we'll put it up on the main web page we are creating to track the project.

I would love to send you a banner. Also, I just want to say thank you for doing all of this. I have been following this at RC and did know that Indonesia was next on the list, but I did not know that these two countries would totally knock out 90% of the cyanide. You seem like such a wonderful person. God bless you and your work

P.S. Do you own SeaCrop? If so, I can not wait to get my hands on your rescue 6 pack. The only thing I am sceptical of is the fact I dont know what I get. I think I am up for the surprise as long as aiptasia is not sent. (from Aaron's experience mine will be wonderful if it ever happens)

Yes, I also own SeaCrop. We don't include Aiptasia in our Nano-Packs. You have to buy the special "Pest Hitchhiker" pack if you want those ;)

You have to buy the special "Pest Hitchhiker" pack if you want those

Thats some funny stuff there.

I can vouce for Mary's quality control. Even the nano packs that are frags of corals that are not eledgable for wholesale are excellent. My personal goal is to be able to one day frag the corals I got as frags. This in my view will complete the circle.

I didn't just get a grin, I was outright :ROFLMAO: But another idea is sea crop could donate 5 or 10 percent of the proceeds from sales of nano pack's :biglol:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3960&highlight=

Please read this post. I guess Aaron and I thought it was funny as hell :mrgreen:

This is a good cause people, it isn't just someone trying to get your money, this is trying to save the hobby. Think about it, lots of damage is done to the reefs with cyanide, quite a bit of (human) life saving pharmacuticals are possible because of the reefs. One day all reefs will be offlimits, if cyanide continues to be used to catch our fish.

Challenge: If you think saving this hobby is worth $5.00 DONATE.

HEHE, Heres another challenge. After you completed the above challenge then you can take on this one.

I know many of you use other aquarium websites. THe challenge I am laying down is this. Send a message to the admin of those sites and point them to the following topic.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3960

Ask them if they would be willing to show their support for this cause in the same way Aquarium Advice is.

But another idea is sea crop could donate 5 or 10 percent of the proceeds from sales of nano pack's

We will already be paying all of the costs associated with the donation site (approximately $225) and all income taxes out of our own pocket. Plus, I don't want to turn the whole thing into a commercial plug for SeaCrop....especially since other companies are involved in the donation process.

what fantastic news! Now we can all start watching for success stories!

Back
Top Bottom