New 110 reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
picked up a new 110 aqueon megaflow drilled tank, with stand, rs-100 sump, seaside aquatics skimmer, and return pump with all plumbing all done already.
from here, I need advice on everything that is going in the tank.:fish2:
The flan for lighting and flow is all ecotech, 2 mp40s wireless, and 2 radion fixtures, also wireless, battery backup for safety. with this, I know I will have no problem with SPS and LPS, although I do have plans to get a rose BBT neme with a group of clowns, no sooner than a year down the road, so a 3rd radion may be added later (we'll see)
With all this said, I am debating on rock. I am looking at reefcleaners.org florida reef saver. It looks very porous, and holey (if that is even a word!) and fairly easy to scape with. VERY open to suggestions and feedback from wherever anyone has had good experiences and what style of rock.
Next for sand. I am NOT doing a deep sand bed, I plan on having NO diggers, or hitchhikers, no worms, and no stars. Don't really want to deal with any gas pockets that may come up if disturbed, and this puppy isn't going anywhere for a while.

corals will start off with softies for beginners, progressing on to LPS and SPS, and a fairly large amount of acropora to stay with the Indo-Pacific native feel I am trying to go for.

Stocklist:
starting with Helfrichi firefish pair, and inverts. Cleaner shrimp, astrea, and nassarius snails.
Moving on to a small shoal of blue/green reef or blue axel chromis.
After than, a group of anthias, deciding between: lyretail, Dispair, and shortsnout/sunset antias. Also looking for suggestions here.
debating on adding a small group of cardiinals as well, suggest away here too.

after stability and establishment of a year, here is where the BBT neme and clowns will be introduced, as well as a powder brown tang.

equipment is here and connected, but nothing much to look at with no rock or sand.

also looking for RO DI filter suggestions, as well as best coral salt, was looking at red sea coral pro to start.

thanks all for reading and helping out. It feels GREAT to be back in the game after a year!
:thanks:

Last edited:
Wow. Sounds like this is going to be a nice build.... good planning.

I'm not familiar with the Reef Saver rock.... I used Real Reef, and I am very happy with it. No hitchhikers to worry about, and it cycled fairly quickly.

Fish suggestions I'll leave to others....... I'm only running a nano with 2 fish.

With the RODI, you're going to need a significant amount for that 110........ I'd join one of the BRS group buys and get yourself one of the 150gpd systems. When I bought my house, it had a basic drinking water RO system, and I've used BRS to upgrade it to a 150gpd w/dual DI canisters and inline dual TDS meter..... couldn't be more happy with their equipment & tech service.

As far as salt, I use the Red Sea Coral Pro & love it. I had used Kent Marine and kept getting a brown crud in my mixing barrel, so I got away from it..... Heard of similar issues with other salts, so do your homework.

If you're planning a lot of SPS in the future, you're going to want to start researching dosing either Kalk or 2-part..... SPS are calc & alk hogs, and you will quickly get to the point where pwc's will not keep up with the demand. I personally just started dosing 2-part just a couple months ago, and use a pair of BRS dosing pumps and making my own homemade 2-part (dirt cheap & very easy).

Wow. Sounds like this is going to be a nice build.... good planning.

I'm not familiar with the Reef Saver rock.... I used Real Reef, and I am very happy with it. No hitchhikers to worry about, and it cycled fairly quickly.

With the RODI, you're going to need a significant amount for that 110........ I'd join one of the BRS group buys and get yourself one of the 150gpd systems. When I bought my house, it had a basic drinking water RO system, and I've used BRS to upgrade it to a 150gpd w/dual DI canisters and inline dual TDS meter..... couldn't be more happy with their equipment & tech service.

As far as salt, I use the Red Sea Coral Pro & love it. I had used Kent Marine and kept getting a brown crud in my mixing barrel, so I got away from it..... Heard of similar issues with other salts, so do your homework.

If you're planning a lot of SPS in the future, you're going to want to start researching dosing either Kalk or 2-part..... SPS are calc & alk hogs, and you will quickly get to the point where pwc's will not keep up with the demand. I personally just started dosing 2-part just a couple months ago, and use a pair of BRS dosing pumps and making my own homemade 2-part (dirt cheap & very easy).

Thanks for the info! I am leaning towards the Florida reef saver just because is it harvested from a dead reef. No destruction of anything living. I will definitely look into the real reef, where did you get it?

The salt, I was looking at Kent marine, so thanks for the heads up on the crud, will probably be going Coral Pro then in that case.

There will be an ATO down the line, and a Kalk doser to make sure calc and trace for the SPS can stay in check and keep pH stable overnight with lights out. Will look into the dosing pumps, thanks for that tip! Appreciate it!

i started my tank with reef rock the is dead and dry you rinse it off with ro water and place it in the tank seed it with a small piece if live rock, similar to what your looking at as for salt i use io reef crystals.

sand can be regular crushed coral needs to be washed b4 putting in aquarium, sugar grade sand, or live sand dont rinse the live sand.

ro/di you can get from brs and is fairly cheap

The problem That I am finding is that not much will fit underneath my stand. I wouldn't have room for ATO, reactors, or dosers...
very severely wishing that I went with a 125 gallon...grrrr....

I have I have! Turns out it was not a 110, it was a 90 gal 4 foot tank. Still a sweet deal though! Rock and life sand are in there after cycling. There are several inverts. Lights are on full blast for several clams, and to grow algae for the eventual tang. Currently there are two Cardinals, and four chromis that are in quarantine being treated with copper for ich.
So nothing really to show, unless everyone would like to see a few motionless clams, and a few remnants of diatoms.

Last edited:
Well here are a few pcs of frags and clams. Pics turned out WAY more blue than the light actually is. The radions are at about 16k right now ramping up to 20 or the next 3 hours. LOVE those lights!

So, stock:
We have
2 acropora, 1 bird nest, 1 chalice, 2 maxima clams (I bought 1, and discovered a baby attached to him that appears to be a chimera!!!!) 3 croceas, 2 zoas, a pearl bubble coral, and a montipora.
4 fire shrimp, 4 red hermits, 1 electric blue, 1 emerald crab, and assorted nassarius, cerith and tonga snails.

Everything is doing well so far, I dose marine snow once a week, and target feed the small clam 3 days a week in a breeder box, (ill snag a pic of him shortly). The shrimp get pellets twice a week, sometimes a few small mysis while I am feeling fish in QT, and lettuce twice a week.

Attachments

• image-3186710871.jpg
    image-3186710871.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2557708826.jpg
    image-2557708826.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3433289622.jpg
    image-3433289622.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1071545904.jpg
    image-1071545904.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3748190651.jpg
    image-3748190651.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 62
Here is the tiny chimera maxima that I would sell my soul to keep alive! He has grown almost 6 cm in 2 months, so looks like he is doing really well!

Attachments

• image-1995965449.jpg
    image-1995965449.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom