Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is awesome. Congrats on your achievement.
I was told that in order for the caulerpa to NOT go asexual, it needs a constant light source. I kept a lunar light on at night and did not have any problems, other than it growing like crazy. I did start getting cyano, so I stopped using my lunar light to starve the light source for several hours each day. THEN they started to go asexual on me, so I ripped out as much as I could. An alternate suggestion is throwing in some pieces of tonga branch. I picked out some pieces with plenty of little hitching posts on it and the ponies use it alot.
I'll try to get some pics poted for you. I like it because there's no potential hassles involved.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
horses breed easily too, and with a huge tank...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc8719
horses breed easily too, and with a huge tank...
Um, I'll say. I've had them for less than 4 days and I woke up to about a hundred baby horses this morning. I'm not prepared to raise them at this point, so I'm going to give them to someone in my local club to try and raise. I feel stupid, not even realizing he was pregnant. Fun.

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aren't they the cutest little things!!?? I was not prepared either. I was planning on doing it eventually when I have more time and more room. I had an empty 15 gal laying around, so I figured I give it my best shot. The first batch lasted 7 days. The second batch lasted 2 days (I tried a different method). I think the one male is pregnant again. I've only had them a month!
I asked my LFS to order me the stuff to culture rotifers. Hopefully I'll have more success when I get the proper food.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
they are sooo adorable!

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I watched Jorge speaking at MACNA 05 in Washington DC. Very informative, and if you go to his place in Baltimore he'll give you a full tour of his facility. I have, however, heard of people who have extrememly bad luck with his info and seahorses, and the food he sells. Others though, it seems, have had great luck, so I guess it's hit or miss.

He gave a very informative speech at MACNA though on breeding and rearing seahorses and his efforts in captive breeding are pretty cool, to say the least.

Anyways, awesome tank, Pete.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

How's the tank doin, SkinnyPete???
Old 03-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFYRE
How's the tank doin, SkinnyPete???
The horses are doing great. I'm feeding frozen mysis twice a day, thinking my nitrates (which were testing at about 5 when I got them) would go through the roof. I added some feather caulerpa (yes, I'm aware to keep it trimmed ) around the same time, and despite the 2-a-day feedings, my nitrates are 0.

I have noticed something very strange as far as my horses' behavior. I had about 6x overturn in the tank as recommended by...well, everyone....but, because my tank is 30" tall - I'm really having flow problems. I added two maxijet 1200s and a SEIO 600 to the tank...the maxijets on a wavemaker so most of the time they're not on at the same time. I estimate an average of probably 12-13x overflow in the tank and they LOVE it. They have really perked up since the increase in flow. I should say that it probably IS because all the flow is at the top and the tank is so tall, by the time it reaches them it's pretty broken up. With that said, I've noticed my larger female actually swim into one of the maxijets and get pushed across the tank....then swim right back to it to do it again...like 3 times in a row. And my little one loves this corner with tons of flow. She plays in the heavy flow all the time. Check out the video... http://www.legacywebdesign.com/files/surfinhorse.mov

The only problems are flatworms which have gone away a little with the heavier flow. And I'm having a real problem with rust color algae on my sand. It's covering the sand from corner to corner. You can see it in the video and the pic below. Ammo, trites, trates are all at 0. Phosphates are at .03. I could stand to change my DI resin. I just tested TDS and they are at 003 so I'm changing DI resin and hopefully that will clear it up. It's really ugly in an otherwise very entertaining tank.

If you have the patience and do a LOT of research, I've found caring for seahorses very fun and rewarding. I'd recommend it. So far, it hasn't been as hard as I first thought it would be. As long as they have the right environment, I don't see how they are any different than caring for a clown fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redbrownalgae_136.jpg (18.9 KB, 650 views)
Old 03-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm glad everything's goin good for you! What are flatworms? Are they harmful? I saw some things in my tank that looked like a itty bitty sea slug that got ran over by a steamroller. They were a light greenish color. Is that flatworms? Should I be concerned?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like flatworms. They are not a concern as far as being destructive. But, they multiply like crazy and can reach plague proportions (mine are on their way). If they aren't bad right now, siphon them out with airline tubing every water change to try to keep them under control. They might die off on their own. As long as they don't get out of hand - they're fine. I actually see one or two ON my seahorses every now and then. Not a threat - - but, pretty ugly.

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seahorse, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com