Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just took this and figured I'd post it. Quick shot of my male, Jo. He's 11 days pregnant. Due date in 3 days. His pouch is way bigger than last time - and THIS time I'm ready. Plan on moving him to a fry tank before he gives birth. Giving away this brood to a local reefer again, but hopefully next time I'm going to try and raise them myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg expecting_daddy_118.jpg (31.3 KB, 23 views)

Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Congrats on the horses! They're great looking.

Quote:
And I'm having a real problem with rust color algae on my sand
That looks like cyano to me.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just as an update, I got the cyano under control by adding a couple smaller Maxi-jets deep in the tank, which do not seem to bother the horses. My temperature is now steady at 73 degrees after replacing an old maxi-jet that was throwing some serious heat.

I did have a problem with my male. He stopped eating and began to lose weight pretty quickly. I gave him a freshwater dip, which he handled really well. Doing some research, I found that seahorses tolerate freshwater dips much better than most fish as long as ph and temperature match. Unfortunately, I did have to follow it up with a formalin bath, which seemed to solve the eating issue.

I switched from Hikari mysis to PE Mysis and I've seen a real improvement in eating habits in general and the weight of all the horses (and my mandarin).

My male has given birth 3 times and is working on his 4th brood.

Everything seems to be going well and I'm really enjoying these little guys. Unfortunately, my flatworm population has officially reached plague proportions and simply siphoning them out is not keeping their population down. I'm probably going to have to move everyone out to a QT for a while and dose with Flatworm Exit. They are getting out of control.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Glad to hear the good report. Look forward to hearing more.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to hear you've been successful! Some minor set backs, but hey if it was easy it would not be worth it right? heh
How often do they normally reproduce in captivity? It seems as if they have become less expensive and more readily available in the last few years.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

My male usually gets pregnant either the day or the day after he gives birth.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seahorses know how to get down lol. Seriously though, wow that's impressive. Are there nutrients issues or technics for removal? Does it cause water quality issues?
Sorry Skinnypete if I'm hijacking the thread, those are my last questions.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I use a Phosban Reactor and Purigen along with PWCs and regular maint to keep down my phosphate (phosban reactor with phosban) and purigen (it polishes the water and removes ammonia/nitrItes/nitrAtes).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are there nutrients issues or technics for removal? Does it cause water quality issues?
Do you mean that the babies cause nutrient and water quality issues in the tank?
They die in a couple days if I leave them in the main tank. They also get sucked up by intake tubes regardless of sponge coverings. They are so small that they fit in the porous matter of the sponge covers. Eventually, the mixture of the suction and them wriggling around will pull them completely through the sponge and through whatever contraption has the intake tube. I worry about them clogging my equipment. I'm assuming that leaving them in the main tank would cause water quality issues because the survival rate is pretty much nil without a complex baby set-up and some seriously intricate dynamics.
As far as removal of the babies....I pull them out with a shrimp net and throw them in the quarantine/baby tank. I have not yet successfully raised any of the babies. I have reidis. From what I've heard they are the most difficult to raise.
Hope that answers your question.
Hey skinny pete, can you post some new pics? I love your tank
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank inspires me to set up a seahorse tank. Now, to pass it by the family accountant, erm I mean, wife.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seahorse, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com