Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

^^ Thanks Starfyre

Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I ignore my thread for a day and look what happens. I'll just try to hit a couple points brought up in the last few posts.

My male also mates the day after giving birth. He has a brood pretty much every 14 days give or take a day. I haven't attempted raising them yet and have been giving them away to local reefers - none have been successful as yet.

Feeding them twice a day, I'm sure would be an issue with water quality in smaller systems, but the fact that I have so much water and only 4 seahorses and a mandarin helps me keep my numbers down. Nitrates are at 2.5 and phosphates are at .03. Could be better, and I'm only doing 20% water changes every other week. I might start the old 10% weekly and see how that goes. I did take the chance and add feather caulerpa to the main tank. It's taking off and probably helping with nutrient export. I also have chaeto in my fuge and an ASM G3 skimming wet.

I really want to stress PE Mysis for anyone who is interested in keeping seahorses. Gorge from Draco marine feeds even his tiniest of horses these larger shrimp and they chew them down. They have 69.5% protein compared to Hikari's 10%. As I said, I've noticed them get plumper, and I'm also noticing some color changes in 2 of them since switching to PE. If you look at the first pics I posted - you'll see one really dark, almost black female. She's now kind of gray on the edges and a peach/yellow on the inside with silver patches. I'll have to post new pics tonight. In addition, they are all much more active. So, even if you have smaller sized horses, and two of mine are pretty tiny - try PE Mysis. I'm really impressed so far.

Next step, after flatworms are taken care of, will be to add some peaceful tank mates (maybe a male mandarin and a few cardinal fish) and finally to attempt raising one of these broods.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
They have 69.5% protein compared to Hikari's 10%.
That is really impressive. That's up there w/ cyclop-eeze. It's amazing the difference diet changes can make. Just curious, how big are those mysis shrimp? About the size of brine?
I've never been able to find mysis by itself, only in variety/combo frozen foods at LFS's. PE mysis sounds like a great food for planktiivores like chromis and clowns.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
Quote:
They have 69.5% protein compared to Hikari's 10%.
That is really impressive. That's up there w/ cyclop-eeze. It's amazing the difference diet changes can make. Just curious, how big are those mysis shrimp? About the size of brine?
I've never been able to find mysis by itself, only in variety/combo frozen foods at LFS's. PE mysis sounds like a great food for planktiivores like chromis and clowns.
The PE are really big. I couldn't believe how big they were when they defrosted, in comparison to hikari, but Draco Marine insisted this is what their horses love! And darned if he wasn't right.

Here's a pic. The top is an average (trust me there are bigger) PE Mysis shrimp, the bottom is Hikari Mysis. Needless to say, it takes much less to feed them.

Also, I included before and after pics of Natalie - the larger black horse. Looking at these pics, I actually miss the black. And she looks skinny in the new pic. She's not - must have been the angle of the glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysis_122.jpg (8.6 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg nat_color_186.jpg (19.6 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg nat_748.jpg (17.7 KB, 317 views)
Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

The color change may just be the environment factors. All my ponies have changed color and I haven't switched their foods. The yellow male (Banana) is now almost white. My gray and black female (Bella Gray) now has yellow rings on her tail. Boris is pretty much the same color. I heard they camouflage to their environment, so I'm trying to get some colored zoas and other stuff in there. I want to get some dark colored gorgonians, but they're hard to find. I saw a purple one online, but it wasn't for sale.
Thanks for the tip on the mysis. What does PE stand for? I'm gonna look for some of that stuff.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have used PE mysis for years. It is some awesome stuff. Not only is it bigger, but quite often the other brands thaw into mush and this stays nice and whole.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFYRE
Thanks for the tip on the mysis. What does PE stand for? I'm gonna look for some of that stuff.

"Piscine Energetics Inc.". http://www.mysis.com
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks very much for the pics!! I definitely have to get my hands on some PE mysis. BTW the seahorse is beautiful!

Tags
seahorse, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com