Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New 110g Seahorse Tank

After 2 years of not knowing what to do with this tank - is it a reef tank? is it a predatory tank? is it FOWLR? FINALLY, I found something that I'm excited about. I decided to turn my 110g tall tank into a seahorse tank. I know, it's a huge tank for that purpose, but it could be cool. I have the room to separate a lagoon-type tank and a reef-like tank. I've stacked rocks in the corner like a reef tank and plan to get some easy softies on there, then the rest of the tank is low flow with gorgonians and some halimeda algae. Not a lot of algae at the moment I'm afraid. I plan on adding more soon.

So, here are some pics - a before and a few afters. I plan on training them to eat at a feeding station. I happened to have a really cool rock with an oyster shell in it, which I'll be using as a natural looking feeding dish - I placed a gorgonian and some halimeda next to the dish as hitching posts. Everything is real in the tank except the fake acro coral in the back. Just using it as more hitching posts.

My horsies are coming from dracomarine.org tomorrow. I settled on H. Erectus, 3 females (Blaire, Natalie, and Tootie) and 1 male (Jo) - yeah, named by my wife before they even arrive

I'm concerned with the flow. This is a 30" tall tank and flow near the bottom is a problem. I plumbed a spraybar into my return line and it seems to be working fairly well but with a tank this tall it's going to be tough to get NOT have some dead spots.

Just added more clean-up crew today as you can notice from the pictures. The turbo snails are still huddling together. I've got 2 pistol shrimp (unfortunately) that I just can't get out and 4 peppermint shrimp.

The only other fish in this tank is my female mandarin who is accepting frozen foods. If I can plump her up, get my pod population back where it should be, and find a male accepting frozen - I'd like to get her a mate. Other than that, I'm going to make sure I'm doing okay with the seahorses and in a few months I'll add a few seahorse safe fish.

So, here are some pics of the new setup. Sand is still settling. I'm including 1 before picture for giggles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feedingstation_983.jpg (29.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg shtank3_206.jpg (28.7 KB, 1028 views)
File Type: jpg shtank2_134.jpg (29.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg before_259.jpg (30.4 KB, 42 views)

Old 02-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Congrats on the SH tank. You need to get some macro for the tank for the SH`s to wrap their tails around. It is their favorite. Also check out my thread on my SH tank. It has some useful info in it. Good Luck Also view my tanks and see what type SH I have.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91589

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, melosu, I've been reading your thread actually.

I'm trying to grab some tomorrow or Saturday from a local reefer. Hopefully they have enough to hitch to in the meantime.

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They will be fine with just the gorgs that you have ... I say this so that you dont get a macro that goes sexual on you . They certianly would hang on to them as well but will fair fine with the gorgs just make sure the gorgs are in a medium current so they dont get algea growth ,but not to strong the horses can not hang on
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
macros should be fine if you prune them every water change or so.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m really not talking about alot of it. I`m talking about a few strands. I have plenty of tonga rock that has hitching spots but they totally ignore that for the grape calerpa but your point is well taken Sadielynn.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Congrats SkinnyPete!!!!
The tank looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I can't wait to see the ponies in it! I would suggest reading up on breeding and having a breeding tank ready to go. I had my Seahorses 4 days and one of them got knocked up. He had his 2nd batch of babies this morning. There's great breeding info on the seahorse specific websites.
As far as the macro algae.....I had caulerpa growing in my tank and it started going asexual. It turns white and excretes a milky substance in the water, which can be potentially harmful to the ponies and other inhabitants. I ripped as much of it out as I could when it started going asexual. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
When do you plan on recieving the ponies? Don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'll help you as much as I can.
Good Luck!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Horses came on Friday. Jorge from dracomarine.org came to speak at my local reefers club meeting on Saturday, and offered a group buy to my club, so I picked them up Friday afternoon.

I can't say enough about Jorge. He was great. I had a one on one discussion with him for a while, just talking about some of the myths concerning raising seahorses. He mentioned that he can't even post on message boards because he goes against a few things that most people would flame a poster about. I don't want to go into detail and "out" him but it was very interesting to hear someone with such seahorse experience changing some of my opinions after several weeks of research.

They spend most of their time hitched to the gorgs. Not sure if that is normal or if I have too much flow. Natalie, the bigger female does swim around a lot at night. I'm getting algae buildup on my sand due to LACK of flow so I hope it is just normal for them to stay hitched for the majority of the time - I can't have less flow, it would kill my tank.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the H. Erectus...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shmale_112.jpg (33.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg shfeedingdish_141.jpg (23.0 KB, 910 views)
File Type: jpg sh2_671.jpg (18.9 KB, 913 views)
File Type: jpg sh1_152.jpg (18.3 KB, 906 views)
File Type: jpg nat_112.jpg (17.7 KB, 907 views)
Old 02-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!Congrats! How hard is it to care for the gorgonians? I was thinking of getting some, but was warned against it. What type of water flow and lighting do they need? Do they need food supplements added to the water like phytoplex?
And do tell what Jorge had to say. I am a firm believer that there are always exceptions to the rule. If you don't feel comfortable posting all the details, PM me.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll PM you. I don't want to speak for him in a public forum. I'm weird like that.

The gorgs are actually HARD. I'm going to sell them. I got incorrect information when i purchased them. They don't need strong light because you have to supplement feed them. I bought KENT phytoplex to try and supplement them, but the flow isn't even strong enough for the polyps to open, so I don't think I have the right environment for them. I might sell them for a good price for some blade caulerpa so I can get some macro algae in the tank that doesn't easily go sexual.

But, check this out. After only 2 days, I got them all eating out of the feeding station. I just coaxed them over with a turkey baster and BAM!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkeybaster_872.jpg (23.0 KB, 892 views)
File Type: jpg dinnertime_151.jpg (24.4 KB, 891 views)

Tags
seahorse, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com