New 120 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spotted

Aquarium Advice Freak
ITS FISH DAY!!! Ph 8.0, ammonia 0, trites 0, trates 10, sg 1.024, alk 10dkH, calcium 320, phosphates .25.
I are gonna do a 20% water change then add some snails for cuc. Perhaps 10 for now. I was also thinking of add 3 damsels. Yellow fins, any comments or suggestions?
How can I get my calcium up?

Add limestone rock or crushed coral. That's what I have done b4.

I have grown tired of buying water from my LFS. I want to get an RO/DI unit. Any suggestions on what to buy? I was lokoing at BRS's 5 stage plus and standard. Any suggestions? How about Aqua Safe units?

OK!!
So we went with the 3 yellow tail damsels. I was thinking of getting a Coral Beauty later in the week. Any thoughts on that? Are they compatible, will they fight?
Also any suggestions on CUC for my 120 tank? Can I slowly build the CUC? I was thinking of getting like 5 Dwarf Cerith snails, 5 Florida Cerith, 5 Blue Leg hermits. What eats stuff off the glass? How much should I have in my tank with the smll bio load I have currently?

OK!!
So we went with the 3 yellow tail damsels. I was thinking of getting a Coral Beauty later in the week. Any thoughts on that? Are they compatible, will they fight?
Also any suggestions on CUC for my 120 tank? Can I slowly build the CUC? I was thinking of getting like 5 Dwarf Cerith snails, 5 Florida Cerith, 5 Blue Leg hermits. What eats stuff off the glass? How much should I have in my tank with the smll bio load I have currently?

You can slowly build up the CUC but with a 120, after it's been running for a bit, you'll probably want a pretty decent number of snails to keep your glass at least somewhat clean. Keep in mind, however, that until you have some algae growth you're not going to want to rush into a CUC, since they won't have anything to CU :)

As for the coral beauty....my experience has been they can get a bit nippy at corals (though I've heard others keep them with no problem). Damsels I'm definitely not a big fan of. They're extremely aggressive in general - as long as they're small you should be ok in a tank your size, but add with caution and make sure you keep an eye on any new additions.

OK!!

Damsels are pretty aggressive, but I think a Coral Beauty should be ok with them. Actually, Yellow Tail Damsels are actually some of the least aggressive species in the Damsel family, so that is good. :)

I really like my Mexican Turbo Snails, the only thing that I don't like about them is that they knock over corals.

Speaking of corals, is this going to be a reef tank? If so, I would not go with the Coral Beauty as they sometimes nip at corals.

I hope this helps. :)

Excited!!

I really appreciate all the advice, please keep it coming.
So of the 3 damsels I got, one is sleeping with the fishes, but when we got him home, he didn't look too good, so it was kinda expected. We also can't find him now. So we assume he's sleeping with the fishies... We ended up going back the next day and getting 3 more damsels and a Coral Beauty. So we are up to 5 Damsels and the Coral Beauty. Wifey wants a pair of clowns. Will this be a problem? I want a Flame Angel and a Singapore Angel, will all of these in the tank cause a problem? Can they all just get along?
Everyone since the latest additions look to be doing great!! Here are some pics.
:D

Attachments

• IMG_7875.jpg
    IMG_7875.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7876.jpg
    IMG_7876.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 135
You may be adding fish a little too fast :). Add one fish when your levels even out again. And for the angels, you may be able to pull off another dwarf, but they may kill eachother. The bigger the tank the better. :). Add the pair of clowns at the same time. They should be fine, but could possibly fight with the damsels as they are related. GL!!!!!

If a fish is MIA u need to seek and remove bc he will poison tank if dead

Crap, I forget about that adding too fast thing. Ok will back off for a while. Just excited I guess. I've been waiting since Thanksgiving with fishless cycling and all.
I would like to thank Carey for getting me in that BRS group buy. I got 25 pounds of pukani that time around. I also have that rodi filter on the way.

Spotted said:
I have grown tired of buying water from my LFS. I want to get an RO/DI unit. Any suggestions on what to buy? I was lokoing at BRS's 5 stage plus and standard. Any suggestions? How about Aqua Safe units?

I've been using that unit and she's really solid,..also you always know where to get extra parts and filters from.

So fish have been in 36 hours at least and my readings are as follows:

Temp 76 F
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .25
Phosphate .25
Calcium 340
Alk 9dkH
SG 1.023

How do they look?

Are you keeping coral? If so calcium is a little low, phosphates are a little high, I shoot for 400 and 0 respectively.

Also if you are keeping coral what's your MAG at?

No corals now. Perhaps in a year. I want to get a hang of saltwater keeping first. Im new to it and would hate to lose any thing because of me.
On that note I have found and removed the first fatality.

Back
Top Bottom