New 125 Gallon reef tank in da' makin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgallo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I've been reading for a few days and finally have decided to post..... to prove my ignorance! I have a quick question regarding the article about quarantine:

when you move the fish to the display tank, the article says to put the fish in a plastic container for 2 days to a week..... I'm totally confused about this.

Every other part of the article makes alot of sense, I GET it.... but I don't get what the author is saying, regarding a plastic container in the main tank... I'm completely spacing on what she/he is meaning.... can you shed light please??

Also, can the quarantine tank also be a display for the period the fish is in it? I.E. can I put lights, and leave it somewhere the whole family can enjoy the new fish? Or does the poor guy need to be in the dark in the closet so he doesn't stress out??

BTW, I'm getting WAAAY ahead of myself, I'm only 4 days into a LR reef tank cycle.... and have NEVER had a saltwater tank... I'll be posting more questions later about more immediate issues!

Joe

WELCOME TO AA!!

I would say they do this, if there are other fish already in the tank. By keeping the fish in the box, the new guy can get use to the other critters and visa versa. This will also help you to determine if they will get along. If one of the inhabitants goes for the new guy, it is probably not a good idea to keep them in the same tank.
jgallo said:
Also, can the quarantine tank also be a display for the period the fish is in it? I.E. can I put lights, and leave it somewhere the whole family can enjoy the new fish? Or does the poor guy need to be in the dark in the closet so he doesn't stress out??
Sure, he should be where you can watch him, lights and all/. It will get him used to being stared at for hours at a time! I believe it is best to just have a QT with PVC, big enough for them to hide, lights/heater/ph. Remember, to acclimate him to your QT and then to your main. I like the drip method.
jgallo said:
I'll be posting more questions later about more immediate issues!
Ask away!

Welcome to AA.

I agree with what roka said. And just for clarity, this is the quote from the article explaining it. :)

"Okay, we quarantined the fish and it's time to put it in the main tank. I do another acclimation to the display tank as described above, and put the fish in a clear plastic container in the main tank. This allows the "old" fish to work out their aggression for their new tank mate without actually being able to harm him. I leave the new fish in the container for 2 days to a week depending on how the other fish react. "

It basically is what roka said, just a preventative measure. I think 2 days to a week is overkill (I actually skip this process all together, but you decide what you want to do).

About the QT, definitley he can be out and about! Enjoy him, and keep an eye on it. You want to monitor behavior consistently anyways.

HTH

Okay thanks for the info.... one thing though-- what does this 'plastic container' look like? I'm assuming it has holes, how big is it? Can you gimme a url to look at one? Would I buy something like that at my lfs?

Might as well start my next question: I have a 125 gallon tank, with 150 or so pounds of lr, approx 30 gallon sump w/lr..... I also have a skimmer, and two pumps for the tank.... here's the question: what size thermostat would you suggest and should I keep it in the sump. My house stays at a toasty 73 to 75 at all times, and the tank won't be covered.... I also have the ESU 72" aqualite pro w/ 3metal halides 4X96 watt actinic (what are these?!) and 4X 1watt moon lights.

I haven't turned the lights on yet, and the tank is hovering around 74 degrees... as I said, my tank's been cycling for 4 days now, I also have 20-40 pounds of live sand and twice that much in regular coral sand (non-live).... fills the tank about 2-3 inches.

if this isn't the right place to make a large thread, just lemme know

thanks!

jgallo said:
what does this 'plastic container' look like?
From drsfosterand smith.com:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+113766
jgallo said:
4X96 watt actinic (what are these?!)
Tur them on by themselves and see. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to spoil it for ya!
I'm just bought two of these heaters and love them, so far:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=FI-HMD-150&Category_Code=Finnexheat
jgallo said:
I also have 20-40 pounds of live sand and twice that much in regular coral sand (non-live)
I started my tank with a LS/CC mixture. My personal preference is plain aragonite sand. The CC will stay on the top, collect nasty stuff and limit any type of sandsifting critters and fish. Needless to say, I ended up removing the CC. It was quite the pain and I'm sure my tank's inhabitants weren't too happy with me.

thanks for the info Roka.... so would you confirm then, that 2 150 watt thermostats sitting in the sump will work fine??

At this point my crushed coral was put in first, then the ls, so as of right now, the ls is sitting on top.... but I haven't dug around or messed with the sand, so if what you're saying is true... it'll end up at the bottom when I start sifting it.... to bad....

W/regards to the actinic lights... looks like you get great bio-luminescence or something... it's nice.... I bought this power strip: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11304&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Portal-_-NexTag-_-Reptiles-_-Coralife%20Power%20Center%20(single)&ref=3665&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x007 the dual version..... when should I run each light? (when I have corals and fish, of course!)

Thanks again.

With all that lighting you really wont need too much heating. During the day it will probobly stay above 80 degrees and at night probobly not below 75. But I would keep one in the sump to help out a bit at night time.

I would go ahead and put the lights on a timer and run the halides around 8 hours a day. With lots of light your algea blooms with come and go faster.

thanks speakerman.... to clarify: one 150 watt thermostat is probably good then?

Also, what about the other two light types (moonlight and actinide), are they just for my pleasure? or would you suggest times on those?

jgallo, I bought that same timer....I can't stand it! LOL! You'll find the design is terrible. The light plugs are wide, so you can only get one plug in on each of the timer sides (yellow/blue). Plus one fan plug...where does the moonlight plug go? Nowhere, they are too wide. Sorry to burst your buble on that specific product. I would check it out and probably send it back, if you can. Hopefully, your light's plugs will work out better than mine. I ended up getting some timers from Wal-Mart, they have a battery back up so you don't have to adjust the time, (which is hard on that one, by the way). Wow, I didn't expect to get that long winded...Sorry.
On the lighting cycle, some like to run all of them at the same time (like me). Others will run the actinic about 30mins before/after the main lights come on. I run my lights 8 hours. The moonlights stay on all the time.
As for heaters, I am not sure how much you want in the sump. You could probably go with one 250W (correct me if I am wrong). I use two, just for redundancy.

Hey roka, actually all the plugs fit perfectly! I are we talking about the same strip? I got the dual timer strip that's on that site.... and the coralife light setup I have only has 4 plugs: 2 main lights (also power the fans), actinic plug and moon plug.... so far so good on the plugs... although, now that I think about it: I currently have the 48" version, not the 72"... I got the 48 because the salesman was an idiot imo or wanted to be sure he got the sale.... so he sold me the 48 for a 72" tank! I have a one year old and three year old, and the way the light is currently sitting is waaaaay dangerous! so I will have the 72 tomorrow.... we'll see if that changes my outlook on the powerstrip!

Good idea on redundancy... and they aren't really that expensive anyhow...

I'm getting a master test kit tomorrow when I pick up my new light, so I'll let y'all know where I'm at in the cycle.... I haven't seen anything move yet... sorta disappointed.... I do see some green stuff and a little orange.... but this 'live' rock isn't really too live! nor is the 'live' sand.... now that I've read a bit... it seems like I waisted my money on the live sand..... someone said by the time I get the sand, all the critters are dead anyhow... unless buying direct and having the sand overnighted.... sounds logical..

jgallo said:
I got the dual timer strip that's on that site.
Ahhh, I missed that, I got the single one. I'm glad it works, maybe I'll try it on my next tank! Did you have fun figuring out how to set it? LOL! It took me a few times and trying to flip those little things was fun!
You will start to see things move, sooner than you think. Then we'll see you in the ID forum. I would suggest you get a flashlight with a red lense. Wait about 1-2 hours after lights out and turn on the light and watch.

ooooo sounds fun! my wife and I have a red light in the bedroom! It'll be nice for it to have dual use! j/k lol

I haven't even messed with the strip yet, since it's cycling... but I have the instructions... I'll get around to messing with it in the coming days! wish me luck!

oh, also: I checked my nitrites tonight (day 5-6 in my new cycle) and have none at all.... is this normal? I've seen many postings regarding using raw shrimp, but I figured there's enough dead stuff on my lr..... I will have a full master kit tomorrow.... but I'm just wondering if I'm doing okay....

Back
Top Bottom