Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I used a U-tube style overflow for over 15 years. They work great. I never had any problems with it. For a 6' tank you might want to use 2. Both on the back of the tank, but 1 of the left side and 1 on the right.

I drilled a 55g tank that I use for my sump. It's pretty easy to drill, but you have to be careful and go slow. You can check out my build thread (link is in my signature) to see some pics of drilling the glass and also some pics of the stand I made.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so do you think it's worth drilling I have no reason not to except only knowing if the glass is tempered by the manufacturer saying "the sides are more than likely not tempered, check with polarized glasses" or should I just play it safe and get a hob u tube overflow?

If you were in my position and have an opportunity to drill, let's say I know for a fact the sides are not tempered. Would I be a year from now cursing my hob overflow And wishing I would have drilled because the hob is too loud or floods, or has to be maintained all the time? Or would it be like I love my hob overflow why would anyone drill when these things work so great.

Part of me says drill baby drill, another says is it worth the risk (breaking the glass)and larger potential for mistakes( putting hole in wrong place or not the right size hole )

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time for the coin toss + side, drilled tanks are worth more when you resell You'll never get what you paid for the HOB over flow - side, You will need to replace a pane of glass and reseal the tank and replace the trim. I'd drill.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I'm going to just drill. I have someone who will do it for $25 or I may just do it myself.

How many holes will I need?

I've thought about three different scenarios with the drilling,
1 - only one hole for the overflow
2 - two holes , one for the overflow one for return
3 - three holes two for the overflow and one for return.

Which of these is best for my situation? I would imagine I'm going to get around a 1000gph sump pump and I'm going to have a tall tank stand like 36" so I hope to have around 600gph actual flow. From my tank to the sump.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

even being a freshy, I enjoy these type of ground up builds...I will be following this build and can't wait to see your final tank! good luck with the build!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drilling for the return isn't really that important since it has pressure to make it up that extra couple inches but it does look a lot cleaner so I would personally drill for the return if you're comfortable with doing so. The overflow would be best to have either 1 1.5" overflow to avoid any chance of clogging or do 2 staggered one above the other as a back up for if the 1st clogs
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks, next thing, does anyone have any experience with glass-holes.com ? I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of their overflow kits because I can't beat the price elsewhere.
I am wondering how the kits went installation wise, and the overall experience went with their products. I've watched a few of their installation videos and they seem straight forward enough, but I'm wondering if it works so well in the real world.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok started building the new stand, it's going to be 38" tall, I want the tank to be nearly eye level and easier to work on underneath. I have it framed up with 2x4's I still dont know what the outer walls are going to be yet, I need the wife's input on that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-659897278.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	108216

I also ordered an overflow from eBay . It was the cheapest I could find, and it came with the box, drill bit and 2 1" bulkheads.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=30720361088
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok drilled tank today. It went well no shattered glass. I drilled 3 holes two for intake and one for return. I went with a kit from ebay that was a little cheaper than glass holes. The only thing I didn't like about this kit is that the overflow box is a little flimsy but I doubt it will be an issue, and drilling the box went fine, so all and all for the money it is a good kit. Here's some pics:

Name:	image-3816241794.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	110459

Name:	image-896681346.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	110460

Name:	image-1440876566.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	110461
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Fish R friends, not food!

Aren't they usually drilled with one drain higher than the other?

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, build, reef, reef tank, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com