New 135g reef tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I plan on using the flow of both of the tubes so it doesnt really matter, just would change how high the water level in the box would be. You could put two returns in there for redundancy like if one was clogged then the other would carry the water, but I don't really see where it would be a big advantage to have the returns at different levels I mean if one got clogged the other would still take the flow no matter it's location. . And it's too late now.

Ok I think I have secured a 55g for my sump. I won't be able to pick it up until this weekend so hopefully noone will buy it out from under me lol. I also need to cover my stand with some type of wood, I'm still now sure how to go with that, either paint or stain. I'm leaning torwards paint but I feel stain maybe better. I just need to see what lumber I like.

Saratj1 said:
Ok I think I have secured a 55g for my sump. I won't be able to pick it up until this weekend so hopefully noone will buy it out from under me lol. I also need to cover my stand with some type of wood, I'm still now sure how to go with that, either paint or stain. I'm leaning torwards paint but I feel stain maybe better. I just need to see what lumber I like.

I'm a big fan of a dark red or mahogony stain

Ok, this is still about three or four steps out but I've been thinking about a skimmer also and was wondering what you guys recommend. I am looking for a good "bang for my buck" skimmer that's in-sump and rated for around 180-220 gal. I like the cone skimmers because that design makes sense to me, but that doesn't disqualify regular style skimmers. I've heard good things about the vertex in series. My price range is around $200 for a new skimmer or a deal of around $100 for a $200+ used skimmer. I have a seaclone (junk), a rio multi skim ( pretty much junk slightly better than the seaclone) , eshopps psk 75h (good). I've thought about a large eshopps cone or regular style skimmer but for their price I see other more well known brands for similar prices so I'm not sure, the eshopps loses some of its bang for the buck value as the size goes up. I toy with the idea of possibly making my own, but it maybe beyond the skill level and tools that I have access to, but I enjoy to DIY whenever possible, but only when it's cost effective.

These are my thoughts what are yours?

Reef octopus Diablo xs 160 300 bucks but best skimmer out there imo for the money

bskerrichard27 said:
Reef octopus Diablo xs 160 300 bucks but best skimmer out there imo for the money

I have reef octopus its one of the bigger ones tho but its a monster +1 on reef octopus

I have several skimmers and found I like the eshopps the best. Works very well and it's one of the less expensive ones put there. I also have a reef octopus which I don't really like that much. Never seems to be pulling enough gunk. LOL i am in the minority there though, most people love their octopus skimmers, especially the diablo. Thats a killer skimmer....

carey said:
I have several skimmers and found I like the eshopps the best. Works very well and it's one of the less expensive ones put there. I also have a reef octopus which I don't really like that much. Never seems to be pulling enough gunk. LOL i am in the minority there though, most people love their octopus skimmers, especially the diablo. Thats a killer skimmer....

I also have a coralife superskimmer paid 150$ for it it works good on my 55g pulls about a half inch of nasty out every day or so

I agree about the eshopps, I reccomend them to people also because of their build quality, good skimmate, and price, but I'm finding that the eshopps rated at around 200g are around $250 and there just seems to be a lot of options in that price range. I saw on eBay a couple of interesting auctions one being a top fathom 200a, I am wondering if this a good skimmer? It looks like a commercial skimmer but kinda old design. But if it works then it works. I feel like there are no hard rules out there for skimmers. The one rule I have read is basically the bigger the reaction chamber the more contact time the better the skim, is this what should be priority number one or does modern design technology trump this and a smaller needle wheel cone skimmer with the latest tech beat the big Venturi or down draft skimmers hands down? I'm not so concerned with noise or power usage, but I don't want a chainsaw and a $600/month electric bill under my tank either.

Ok bought a 55g off Craigslist tonight. Got it for $50 with everything tank, stand, lights, fluval cannister filter, misc. decorations. Can't beat that. So now a have a sump to begin work on. I may go to lowes in the am to get some wood to cover the stand. We are making some progress now! Lol.

Bought wood today to cover the stand, I bought blonde wood ( that's what it was labeled as, I have one sheet of 3/4 and two sheets of 1/2. Still have not picked out stain yet. Also picked up some PVC for the sump.

image-388912400.jpg

Yes, a big sump, not many options between a 20 long and a 55, so 55's are plentiful and cheap, and I'm building my own stand so I can make sure it fits.

Saratj1 said:
Yes, a big sump, not many options between a 20 long and a 55, so 55's are plentiful and cheap, and I'm building my own stand so I can make sure it fits.

This is my buddies 55 sump build he just did overflows go into skimmer chamber then over baffle to main pump main pump then returns to tank and also to refugium notice where the valves are controlling movement is key through the fuge cause this allows macro time to uptake nutrients second pic is basically same design on my 80g sump

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 126
  • ForumRunner_20120817_221949.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_221949.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 124
danbstrong said:
This is my buddies 55 sump build he just did overflows go into skimmer chamber then over baffle to main pump main pump then returns to tank and also to refugium notice where the valves are controlling movement is key through the fuge cause this allows macro time to uptake nutrients second pic is basically same design on my 80g sump

Keep in mind you only need 1000 gph goin thru sump to allow skimmer to be efficient

Saratj1 said:

Your stands gonna have to be taller than normal to give you decent access to the inside of the 55. In terms of sump designs, depends on what you want to build, do you want a wet/dry design??( empties onto bio-balls, then into the return chamber.) or a refugium ( empties into filter sock, into skimmer chamber, then into the center "natural"section, ten into the return pump)

huma-huma said:
Your stands gonna have to be taller than normal to give you decent access to the inside of the 55. In terms of sump designs, depends on what you want to build, do you want a wet/dry design??( empties onto bio-balls, then into the return chamber.) or a refugium ( empties into filter sock, into skimmer chamber, then into the center "natural"section, ten into the return pump)

I like tall stand anyway you dont have to bend over to see your reef :):)

Back
Top Bottom