New 135g reef tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saratj1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I got a Craigslist deal on a 135g tank. Traded some computer stuff for it. Leak tested it yesterday, then moved it into the garage (its been about 100 degrees out for the last week here in tennessee and not cooling soon, and no a/c in the garage) I am wondering how long is it ok to keep the tank in the garage, it's in kinda rough shape already and I plan on fixing it up, but I don't want to make matters worse by leaving it in the garage for too long. Also drilling- how do I know if any of the glass is tempered I would like to drill this tank if possible, but don't especially want to bust the glass. This is going to be a longer project because I don't have $2000 to put in this today, it's going to be a 100 here 200 there thing every couple weeks. I plan on full reef with around a 55g sump.

image-688079259.jpg

image-828566999.jpg

Update did a little looking and found a manufacturers sticker on the bottom of the tank, it is an All glass aquarium (AGA) and it was made in November 1992 by someone named Scott lol. I researched this info and found that AGA is now aqueon so I called aqueon that they said that due to the date of manufacture that she was pretty sure that the tank has a tempered glass bottom, and regular ( unhardened ) glass sides.I need to double check with some polarized glasses to be sure. I have to find some first though.
I may check out glass-holes.com for some overflow options. And then also see what can be done to fix up the stand.

The stand looks like particle board i'd lose it and build a new one and a matching canopy

Nice tank, if the bottom is tempered maybe you could drill the sides/back as an alternative or drill the back and do a coast to coast overflow. I second replacing the stand, it looks like its seen some water damage. A DIY stand would be low budget and allow customization so you could have a 55g sump underneath.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of a good "how to" site to build my own stand? I've found one on the garf.org website and it seemed ok, but was very basic, i Will probably need something a little more detailed, I'd like a step by step with a material list. The tank measures 72''x18''x24''

Ok, building new stand, or actually going to get a kit to drill an overflow first just incase I bust the glass drilling, I don't want money lost building a custom stand wish me luck, I don't know anyone who's drilled glass, but I've seen a few YouTube videos so I feel confident lol.

Good luck. Haha it's always better to go slow and make sure it's done right will follow this haha

I was told by a glass shop that if the glass scratches, its not tempered. So, on a tank that old, if the bottom is scratched, I would say more likely that its not tempered.

I've also read a little more on the overflow subject and I've heard that U - tube type hob overflow boxes are pretty reliable, I saw a couple people post that they've been using them for 3 years plus without any flooding issues through multiple poweroutages and all. So now I'm torn, should I just do a hob overflow or take the risk and drill the side of the tank, can't drill the bottom as I'm sure it's tempered.

spoonman said:
I was told by a glass shop that if the glass scratches, its not tempered. So, on a tank that old, if the bottom is scratched, I would say more likely that its not tempered.

That actually kinda worries me because I haven't seen a scratch in the glass yet, but it was a freshwater tank so it may not have had much in it to scratch it, but it may also be all tempered , because after I cleaned the tank up I was kinda surprised the glass was in such good shape.

I used a U-tube style overflow for over 15 years. They work great. I never had any problems with it. For a 6' tank you might want to use 2. Both on the back of the tank, but 1 of the left side and 1 on the right.

I drilled a 55g tank that I use for my sump. It's pretty easy to drill, but you have to be careful and go slow. You can check out my build thread (link is in my signature) to see some pics of drilling the glass and also some pics of the stand I made.

Ok so do you think it's worth drilling I have no reason not to except only knowing if the glass is tempered by the manufacturer saying "the sides are more than likely not tempered, check with polarized glasses" or should I just play it safe and get a hob u tube overflow?

If you were in my position and have an opportunity to drill, let's say I know for a fact the sides are not tempered. Would I be a year from now cursing my hob overflow And wishing I would have drilled because the hob is too loud or floods, or has to be maintained all the time? Or would it be like I love my hob overflow why would anyone drill when these things work so great.

Part of me says drill baby drill, another says is it worth the risk (breaking the glass)and larger potential for mistakes( putting hole in wrong place or not the right size hole )

Time for the coin toss + side, drilled tanks are worth more when you resell You'll never get what you paid for the HOB over flow - side, You will need to replace a pane of glass and reseal the tank and replace the trim. I'd drill.

I think I'm going to just drill. I have someone who will do it for $25 or I may just do it myself.

How many holes will I need?

I've thought about three different scenarios with the drilling,
1 - only one hole for the overflow
2 - two holes , one for the overflow one for return
3 - three holes two for the overflow and one for return.

Which of these is best for my situation? I would imagine I'm going to get around a 1000gph sump pump and I'm going to have a tall tank stand like 36" so I hope to have around 600gph actual flow. From my tank to the sump.

even being a freshy, I enjoy these type of ground up builds...I will be following this build and can't wait to see your final tank! good luck with the build!

Drilling for the return isn't really that important since it has pressure to make it up that extra couple inches but it does look a lot cleaner so I would personally drill for the return if you're comfortable with doing so. The overflow would be best to have either 1 1.5" overflow to avoid any chance of clogging or do 2 staggered one above the other as a back up for if the 1st clogs

Ok thanks, next thing, does anyone have any experience with glass-holes.com ? I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of their overflow kits because I can't beat the price elsewhere.
I am wondering how the kits went installation wise, and the overall experience went with their products. I've watched a few of their installation videos and they seem straight forward enough, but I'm wondering if it works so well in the real world.

Ok started building the new stand, it's going to be 38" tall, I want the tank to be nearly eye level and easier to work on underneath. I have it framed up with 2x4's I still dont know what the outer walls are going to be yet, I need the wife's input on that.

image-659897278.jpg

I also ordered an overflow from eBay . It was the cheapest I could find, and it came with the box, drill bit and 2 1" bulkheads.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280394416660&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=30720361088

Ok drilled tank today. It went well no shattered glass. I drilled 3 holes two for intake and one for return. I went with a kit from ebay that was a little cheaper than glass holes. The only thing I didn't like about this kit is that the overflow box is a little flimsy but I doubt it will be an issue, and drilling the box went fine, so all and all for the money it is a good kit. Here's some pics:

image-3816241794.jpg

image-896681346.jpg

image-1440876566.jpg

Back
Top Bottom