Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New 135g reef tank build

Ok, I got a Craigslist deal on a 135g tank. Traded some computer stuff for it. Leak tested it yesterday, then moved it into the garage (its been about 100 degrees out for the last week here in tennessee and not cooling soon, and no a/c in the garage) I am wondering how long is it ok to keep the tank in the garage, it's in kinda rough shape already and I plan on fixing it up, but I don't want to make matters worse by leaving it in the garage for too long. Also drilling- how do I know if any of the glass is tempered I would like to drill this tank if possible, but don't especially want to bust the glass. This is going to be a longer project because I don't have $2000 to put in this today, it's going to be a 100 here 200 there thing every couple weeks. I plan on full reef with around a 55g sump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-688079259.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	105444

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-828566999.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	105445

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update did a little looking and found a manufacturers sticker on the bottom of the tank, it is an All glass aquarium (AGA) and it was made in November 1992 by someone named Scott lol. I researched this info and found that AGA is now aqueon so I called aqueon that they said that due to the date of manufacture that she was pretty sure that the tank has a tempered glass bottom, and regular ( unhardened ) glass sides.I need to double check with some polarized glasses to be sure. I have to find some first though.
I may check out glass-holes.com for some overflow options. And then also see what can be done to fix up the stand.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The stand looks like particle board i'd lose it and build a new one and a matching canopy

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Nice tank, if the bottom is tempered maybe you could drill the sides/back as an alternative or drill the back and do a coast to coast overflow. I second replacing the stand, it looks like its seen some water damage. A DIY stand would be low budget and allow customization so you could have a 55g sump underneath.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of a good "how to" site to build my own stand? I've found one on the garf.org website and it seemed ok, but was very basic, i Will probably need something a little more detailed, I'd like a step by step with a material list. The tank measures 72''x18''x24''
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, building new stand, or actually going to get a kit to drill an overflow first just incase I bust the glass drilling, I don't want money lost building a custom stand wish me luck, I don't know anyone who's drilled glass, but I've seen a few YouTube videos so I feel confident lol.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good luck. Haha it's always better to go slow and make sure it's done right will follow this haha
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Fish R friends, not food!

I was told by a glass shop that if the glass scratches, its not tempered. So, on a tank that old, if the bottom is scratched, I would say more likely that its not tempered.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've also read a little more on the overflow subject and I've heard that U - tube type hob overflow boxes are pretty reliable, I saw a couple people post that they've been using them for 3 years plus without any flooding issues through multiple poweroutages and all. So now I'm torn, should I just do a hob overflow or take the risk and drill the side of the tank, can't drill the bottom as I'm sure it's tempered.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
I was told by a glass shop that if the glass scratches, its not tempered. So, on a tank that old, if the bottom is scratched, I would say more likely that its not tempered.
That actually kinda worries me because I haven't seen a scratch in the glass yet, but it was a freshwater tank so it may not have had much in it to scratch it, but it may also be all tempered , because after I cleaned the tank up I was kinda surprised the glass was in such good shape.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef, reef tank, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com