Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New 20 gallon setup

I recently moved and had to take down my 125. Until I can get 'er back up and running, I've decided to setup a small 20 gallon. I will be running an Aquaclear 75, a heater, powerhead and of course will have live rock. I kept all the live rock from the 125 in 55 gallon barrels with a heater and powerhead so I'm hoping I won't have to cycle. I'll test the water in an hour or so, but for now I need some advice on scaping.

So far I've come up with 3 different layouts, each one using a little more rock than the one before. The first, uses about 30lbs, the second I believe has 40 and the last one has more than 60lbs of live rock.

I will be adding live sand, but not for a week or so, so for now what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1387485467218.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	212695   Click image for larger version

Name:	1387485513657.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	212696  

Name:	1387485557828.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	212697  

Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tests are as follows:

PH: 8.2
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
SG: 1.025

Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't plan on heavily stocking this tank. Was thinking a few softies and a nem - not sure about fish yet. I don't have any experience with corals, so advice is appreciated.

Lighting is a dual T5 fixture with 14W daylight 10KK bulbs

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding live sand and/or removing a bit of rock, or changing pieces of rock can help you for your aquascape... It look like you've put 40 pounds in your 20g :p

For my build I've took 2-3 bigger pieces and the rest is small piece... It look like this

A sand bed (optionnal in your case because you have a lot of LR) will help increase the eye appealing of your tank IMO.

A blue background can give a good effect, in my case I decided to not put a background.

For the lighting, the color spectrum is Ok, but the output power is not so strong. I have 60w led power on my 20g. For this lighting, I'll recommand you never add high light corals, they will suffer from poor lighting. Focus on low light species, maybe it will work.

Your nitrates are a bit high, are you using RODI water ? Or maybe your tap contains nitrates ? Do a 50% WC before you add livestock, will drop your nitrates 50% if your tap is clean or if u use RODI wata. Anyway, you have a low light setup, so nitrates will probably not be a problem for algae invasion. In my case, If nitrate raise to just a little trace of them, I have algae problems because of highlight.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Nitrates aren't to bad at 10, softies won't mind. However like mr Vincent said you will need much stronger light than that for a nem. I'd get at least a 4 bulb fixture for a nem.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I like the first rock scape as well but maybe try and make a few more caves. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies. I actually decided last night that I will be going with the third scape for two different reasons. First, after moving the rocks around a bit more I've come to really like the look of the scape. Secondly, the added live rock will give more filtration and I believe will leave more room for corals.

Mr. Vincent, I believe there is over 40lbs of live rock in the third scape. I used six 8-10lb pieces of live rock for the scape so there's definitely more than 40lbs! Unfortunately, I do not have any smaller pieces so I had to make what I had work.

I will be adding a sand bed, but won't be able to do so until after the holidays - same goes for a background if I decide on one.

As for lighting, I know this is not the ideal setup for most corals, but I'd really like to give it a try. I was mainly thinking about Mushrooms, Zoanthids, Buttons and Star Polyps. Would anything else work?

No, I do not use RODI water and my tap does not contain any Nitrates. I used water from the barrel I took the rock out of so that's probably why nitrates are showing up. I'll do a 25-50% water change this afternoon and let you know where they are at then.

Bribo, so there is no possibility of keeping a nem successfully under these lighting conditions? I was really hoping I could make it work. If not, looks like I may need to upgrade. Do you know any good quality, but cheap fixtures?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's some updated pics of the scape:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1387564141158.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	212830   Click image for larger version

Name:	1387564152288.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	212831  

Name:	1387564162609.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	212833  
Old 12-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't think it would do well under a two bulb. Odyssea makes a 4 bulb fixture that's like $60 or $70 that works well. As far as corals under that light you could do most softies like zoas, mushrooms, Kenya tree, Xenia. If you went 4 bulb you could do lps as well.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's too bad. I'll have to look into that fixture. Thanks for the suggestion!

For corals, would any Button or Star Polyps work under the current lighting?

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com