Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not yet, I am out of town right now, I was kinda rushing to get water in it before I went out of town to start cycling it, but since you caught the issue with the stand I didn't have a chance to get it braced up before I left.
I think I might try to buff a couple scratches out. It has a few minor scratches in it and I was thinking about trying to fix them before putting water in, but I am debating it because I worry that I may make them worse in my attempt to repair them, but on the other hand if I'm going to fix them I need to do it now. So if I do decide to try and buff the scratches out I will post up pics of what I do and how it turns out.
I also ordered 5 different zoa frags to put in the tank once it gets going. I will keep them in my other tank until then.
I went through the parts and filters that came with this and found out the magnum 350 filter is leaking a little bit of air into the canister so I will have to do something with that before I can use it. I'm not sure if I will even use that yet. What do you think? Should I try to use the magnum filter or just use the built in setup? I figure the magnum may give a little extra polish and flow, but will take away from the all in one setup.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow what i good deal

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just installed new reverse osmosis filter. Bought off eBay for about $150. Still running and flushing the system have not used/tasted any yet. I'm excited!

Attachment 89362

Attachment 89363

Attachment 89364
Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok I have added a support to my shelf/aquarium stand and added sand and water.
Making some progress now.

Attachment 89610

I also added new bulbs to the light fixture and bioballs to the back. I underestimated the amount of bioballs needed. So I will have to order some more. Or I may get live rock rubble if I can find small enough pieces.
I would like to make a small refugium in one or two of the compartments in the back. If anyone has any tips on that idea I'd love to hear them. Will try to get some better pics of the back compartments. Here's a couple but it's hard to see what's going on.

Attachment 89611

Attachment 89612
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally I would ditch the bio balls and put LR in there instead.
Starting to come along........looking good.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's an acrylic tank you should honestly go ahead and install and overflow and drill it out to use a legit sump/fuge.

No risk of it breaking and you will have much better filtration.

Also just IMO that would make a sweet Mantis Shrimp tank.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a better pic of the back of the aquarium. The back of the aquarium is basically like a sump it has about 6 baffles and overflow and return built in. The two large chambers are for biological filtration, the smaller chambers are for other types like a protein skimmer. I don't have the skimmer that goes inside the chamber. I have the cup, but not the skimmer body. I could probably make my own using the cup making a simple skimmer or using the hang on back skimmer that I got with the tank.
I was thinking about a refugium in the two smaller chambers on the right(intake) side.

Attachment 89650
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like the mantis idea. I was thinking of some type of species/predator tank along with some zoas.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just got my order of zoa frags from reefs2go, They had a special on 5 different zoas, with 5 polyps per frag for $50 with free shipping advertised on this site. I thought that was a fair deal. I have an issue though, one of the bags leaked and was completely empty when I opened it up, of course it was the orange bambams my favorite one out of the bunch. Oh Well . I emailed reefs2go, lets see how they handle it. I've taken pics of everything and started acclimating them anyways maybe they haven't been without water long and still make it. I may regret that later but its worth a shot.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wonder if on the bottom of the two chambers on the intake (left facing the back of the aquarium) I could put some type of screen and put some sand and live rock rubble on top of it. I wonder would enough water be able to flow through the sand or would it restrict the flow too much. Each of the chambers are about 3.5"x4"x16". I just worry putting sand in there will create a back up of water.

Tags
build, hex, mts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com