Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question New 28 gallon set up

Hi all!
About 1 1/2 months ago I bought a new 28 gallon tank and did fishless cycle. Never witnessed spike in ammonia/nitrite because I had a family ER and had to go out of town for over a week. When I got back there was a weird looking "mat-like" film of beige/brown bubbles covering the entire sandbed. LFS said it was diatoms and not to worry, they tested my water told me things were great! My home tests were perfect too ( Amm. 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Salinty at 1.024, pH at 8.0)
Then I had to go out of town again (6 days) and came back to find a slimy type of browish algae over everything. LFS said no worries, water still perfect, so they said to add blue crabs and few snails. Another week goes by, algae almost all gone, water still perfect. So after long discussion with LFS, I added my 3 fish ( clown, blue green chromis and yellow watchman goby) from my other nano tank. As they all hide in the LR whenever I put my hand in tank, I was unable to only put one in at a time ( as I had the first time around with my first tank) So all 3 fish went in the same day, along with all the LR. It has been two weeks now, and I still have not seen any ammonia/nitrite spike, and I've been home now, checking every day (sometimes 2x per day)
Do you think it will ever spike now?
The fish are all happy in the new larger digs, swimming around so nice and relaxed. I wish I could be as relaxed, but can't help but wonder if there will be a problem soon. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
BTW, my LFS says no water changes until I see spike....are they correct?

JJMS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
You should be doing weekly water changes regardless to keep the water mineral rich. The pwc will allow you to replenish the trace elements that are consumed by your tank and also it is really the best way to export the nitrates and other bad things out of the water.

If you are truly cycled then you won't ever see any ammonia or nitrite again. Unless it's a death or some other issue.
I would still monitor the tank every few days to make sure but it sounds like the cycle went ahead without you there. lol
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote

8 gallon, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com