Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #11

I tested my water today, day3 and the amonia is off the chart as expected. I had always thought with a fishless cycle that I didn't have to do PWC to speed the cycle, however I have a lot of hermits, feathers.....should I be doing PWC to keep the amonia down?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank looks great. Lots of luck to you and please keep us posted with the great pics.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Mike, I'd do small water changes but I wouldn't really try too hard to keep ammonia really low, because you will just cause yourself alot of hassle. I don't think you'll have alot of trouble keeping things alive. I cycled with blue hermits and hithchiker snails and never lost a one.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #14

I have another question---big surprise ha?

After I added the LR I added the sand. I didn't use much at all because th LR took up so much space. Is this ok? And it is ok when I build a rock wall to have LR leaning on the back glass?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
is ok when I build a rock wall to have LR leaning on the back glass right?
Sure, make sure it won't fall (the wall) and crack the glass. If you have it leaning up against it you should be fine.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #16

Hey all,

I forgot. I have alot of different worms in the tank. I will take pics when I get home at 11pm and put them in the ID section. I know maybe 1 worm that is bad. Does anybody know a site that shows different worms so I can try to ID some.

AGGRRRRR There is absolutely another mantis so I am on the hunt. This one just does not click as much as the other but it is coming from the same side of the tank. Hopefully I can spot this one to!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 AM   #17

New tank

I forgot that I didn't post any pics of the critters I am finding on here. All in the id forum

Here are just some snails, hermits, a BIG worm, and the mantis that I caught and some corals up close.

I am still finding a lot of life and it is stressful with more than 1 mantis...Would I order from them again? I will tell you if this works out ok. IMO this is the best LR around but it is a little hard on a beginner with so many hitch hikers. The only issue I have is that it is very dense. I plan to add some other more pourus LR to build it up.

I promise the tank will look better in the end. I am not going to rockscape and clean the tank until I am down sifting through all the LR for bad hitch hikers.

I am going to post my water parameters tomorrow (day 5)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coral1_104.jpg (37.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg mantis1_170.jpg (23.6 KB, 969 views)
File Type: jpg snail2_193.jpg (23.6 KB, 957 views)
File Type: jpg snail-hermiy_556.jpg (30.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg big_worm_149.jpg (24.2 KB, 957 views)
File Type: jpg coral_201.jpg (25.5 KB, 955 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 AM   #18

I tested a few parameters today just to make sure I am cycling. Day 5, looking ok? PH going to be high enough?

PH 8.0
NH3 Off the charts
NO2 0.1

Also just a pic of a cup coral. Have found many of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cup_coral_196.jpg (32.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Awesome. Everything looking good. pH is fine too. I have many of those cup corals as well, pretty cool things.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:32 PM   #20

Well things are not going to good. I am now going crazy over another LOUD Mantis. Today I removed half of the rock into buckets of saltwater. I moved one piece until I heard the click from the tank and so on. I am left with half in and half out.

I figured I just may as well get this done with a 5 day old tank. Do you think this is bad? Start cycle from day 1? I am worried about damaging the rock but I got but I got to get him out!!

Just a quick line from my first post:

"I REALLY do not want to get mantis shrimp in my tank."

Tags
30 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com