New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tank looks great, about how many critters came with all that rock, and i dont just mean the tiny ones, but noticable ones.

also what are you doing with the mantis you find? killing them or selling them? (i wont judge, id think they'd be a blight on my tank)

im thinking of doing a tank similar to yours eventually, is it alright to ask about how much it'd cost without the coral and moonlights (is that what the blue lights are im sure)

A LOT of critters, a lot of good ones to. Stars, corals, Snails, A lot of nice feathers.....

I am trying to find someone to take the mantis and hopefully it will be 2 by Saturday.

Well, I have not added up the exact cost yet, however a rough guess I know I have spent around $1100-$1200 on everything including the little stuff like salt, refractometer, sand, 5 gal buckets, than the tank and stand, skimmer, 192 watt Coralife Lunar light, LR+Shipping, Aqua Gloves, Test Kits, light timer, Power Heads......It does add up but I bought all the equip. over 2 months.

Well, things have not been doing to good.(day 7) I had at least 2-3 Mantis and I only caught 1. I basically killed all my rock with long freshwater dips but I could not take it anymore. Anyhow, I believe the Mantis is not alive in the tank. I feel really bad but I did not know what else to do. I spent 7 long days trying to find them. I gave the one I captured to an LFS.

As of today the tank has basically started over with the cycle. My Bak Pak 2 is running and I like it much better than the CSS. I also decided to go without the glass top.

Now, I have to make sure that the tank is cycling AGAIN, and if not add a piece of shrimp I hope things go better from here. My experience with LR has been misrable with bad hitchikers but I think it can only get better now.

Progress

Well here is what is happening. I am feeling much better now that the Mantis stress is over. Unfortunately I killed off a ton of life. I plan on getting some LS along with a cleanup crew and hopefully that will help. Maybe even a few lbs. of cured LR from the LFS before I add fish. Anything else that I need that I should now buy? ex. cleaner worms???

The Bak PaK skimmer is working great as the pic. shows. I do have some bubbles coming in from the return hose but I think if I bring the water line right to the top this will go away.

The amonia was off the charts today as I start my cycle AGAIN. I think there should be enough die off from the LR to produce the amonia instead of a cocktail shrimp. Agree?

Concerns:

A good amount of condensation builds up on the plastic shield of my light. Is this going to be ok? I went without a lid. I will be getting eggcrate soon, however I will still have this condensation.

I notice peoples tanks are stacked up the back wall and there is sand space in the middle. I don't have this and I am sure I want a blenny when I add fish. Is this ok? I will probably rescape but I don't have a lot of room.

GFCI---Many people use them. Is this a must in S/W? What connects to it, just equip. that has wires touching water such as, skimmer, PH, heater?

Thanks and I will keep you updated.

Attachments

• cave_955.jpg
    cave_955.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 956
  • again_102.jpg
    again_102.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 953
  • skimmer_136.jpg
    skimmer_136.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 961
Glad the mantis stuff is over. LS will help with your cycle too and maybe give you some of those "cleaner worms".

As long as the condensation is on the outside of the plastic shield and not on the inside you are fine. I get some buildup on mine too. Raising the water line and preventing splashing at the surface should help.

I stack my rock in the middle too and not on the back wall. Works fine for me. I also use a surge protector to plug everything in. I don't really know about GFCI and stuff. Sorry.

Tank is looking good!!

Now that everything is cycling ok, I want to begin to think about the fun part! I am a few weeks away I am sure but I want to have a plan. The water has cleared up nicely since the addition of the skimmer.

First I am going to add a clenup crew when the cycle ends which will be a combo of snails, hermits, and stars. I like a suggestion I read by Austinsdad to start out adding half the reccomendation so that they have enough food.

For fish all I know I want now are 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, and 1 Blood fire Shrimp. Is this ok? Which should go first and at what pace? How many small fish can I add all together once my tank is healthy?

2nd, is there any hardy coral I can add when I am done cycling just to get some color in the tank? I have 192 watts of PC over 30 gal.

3rd...I have about 45-48 lbs. of LR. How do you all have LR stacked all the way up the back? Many of you must have more than 1.5 per gal. What is the most LR I could put in my 30 before the weight is to much?

Hey Mike. Sounds as if the tank is coming along great!

My own personal suggestion would be to scratch the hermits, or limit their numbers. Why? They love to eat snails! Mine are just big bullys, and they knock over EVERYTHING! My 8 blue legged hermits and one scarlet hermit consumed 35 nassarius snails over the course of about 4 months or so. Like said, just my personal opinion. Brittle stars (surprised you didn't get any with your LR) are a good started, and I love nassarius snails. You can get a huge amount on ebay for cheap, that's how I got mine. cmmarine I think was the user ID.

Your stocking list sounds identical to what I have. 2 O. clowns and a lawnmower blenny. My advice is to hold off on the blenny. They really need mature tanks and lots of liverock to graze on. I would add the clowns first and see how they do. After a few (months) add the blenny. I would think the shrimp would be fine to add soon after the clowns.

About the corals, zooanthids are a great starter coral and they look good too. I would start off with some softies before moving on to LPS or SPS. Give it a few weeks before you add your first coral, make sure everything is well with the tank.

I don't know about the LR. I have the opposite problem where I need more rock!

HTH. Can't wait for updated pics.

New Water Parameters

The cycling has made good progress since Saturday's readings of off the chart amonia alone.

Today, Friday 9-8-06

Amonia 5.0
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 2.5
PH 8.2

I hope by next week amonia drops more. I am going to buy a few more pieces of cured LR Saturday and I will post pics.

Today I went to my LFS and they had some really nice LR covered in coraline algae.

I only bought about 4 lbs. worth of little pieces and covered the existing LR that I damaged with my Mantis hunt. Hopefully the coraline spreads. I am hopefully going back tomorrow to get a big piece that I like. The LR is $8 per lb. but it is nice. I noticed that it is much lighter than the stuff I got.

I am waiting for a response on whether I can fill my Bak Pak 2 with LR rubble. Since it is the reef model with no media I don't see why I can not fill it with rubble since it is great filtration. I also added more sand tonight so I will post a pic tomorrow when it clears up of the new LR.

Hopefully if a newbie reads this thread they will learn not to panick when they have a Mantis or two and destroy all the LR like I did.

I also had a problem with my CPR Bak Pak 2 releasing bubbles into the tank from the return line. I put an Aqua Clear sponge made for their HOB's in the return line and it took care of the bubbles.

Attachments

• p9090127_903.jpg
    p9090127_903.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 341
Glad you got the problems fixed Mike. I see no reason why you can't pur rubble into the skimmer, but I could be wrong. Hows the cycle coming? Is any of the life on the rock coming back?

cycle

I am actually a little concerned about the cycle. I still have extremely high levels of amonia. I got some really nice little pieces again today that are covered in coraline and put them all on top.

I am concerned that I killed so much of the olf rock that there is to much amonia but I am staring to see Nitrites so maybe it will be ok?

All in all I have to say my experience with tampabay saltwater was not good. The LR that I have been buying at my LFS is very light and more pourus. I had to many Gorilla crabs, mantis, stone crabs......It got crazy. I may replace some of the big pieces with some of the stuff from my LFS and use the rest as what I would no consider, "base rock."

LR

I spotted a bunch of tiny white bugs last night all over my glass. I have never noticed them before. Any idea? They are to small to get a pic. I also spotted a few critters on the new LR that looked like tiny shrimp but more like bugs.

EDIT: This is a piece of the LR I have been buying to replace what I killed. The bugs are amphinods and copodes so I think. I am going to replace 1 more big piece next week and hopefully the coralline will cover the rest. All I know is I am going slow.

I don't intend to beat up tampabay saltwater, however this rock is much more porous and covered in coralline.

Attachments

• nice_lr_209.jpg
    nice_lr_209.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 24
Things are finally starting to go a little better...After putting a few nice pieces of LR I am again populated with all kinds of life. The old LR that I killed is coming back nicely little by little. Is it possible for coraline to spread to other rocks quickly? I swear it is spreading from the new rocks but they have only been there a week, is this possible or am I seeing things?

Concerns: I am starting to see a film on the water line? The skimmer is working well so do I have to raise the PH's? I don't know how to face them at an upward angle because they are on suction cups?

I am going to test agaibn tonight. I will be buying 1 more nice piece of LR from the LFS this Saturday and I will post pics. I just love this LR because it is completely covered in dark purple coraline. The last piece cost me $55+ so it should be nice.

Parmeters: I am getting there!

Last week: Amonia 5.0 Nitrite 0.5 Nitrate 2.5 PH 8.2

Today: Amomia 1.o Nitrite >1 Nitrate 20 PH 8.2

20 Nitrate? This is ok because I will be doing a 50% PWC before fish when the cycle is done?

I think I may now have an Aiptasia invasion. Check out the thread and see what the pic looks like

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=86616

But all in all I am seeing tons of life even on the LR that I killed only two weeks ago. One of the pieces that was black and extinct has a bunch of baby feathers. Unfortunately I may have killed 1 Aiptasia without knowing it and may have a bunch pop up. I am going to post more pics tonight.

I am almost ready to add my first critters slowly. Maybe another 1-1/2
weeks. I am also adding new piece of LR tomorrow before the cycle ends. I will get more pics up of everything by tomorrow.

The little bugs are Pods and are signs of a healthy tank. They are good for your tank because they serve as janitors and they get to stuff your hermits can't get to. The little white bugs on the glass are also pods just of a smaller variety.

Recent Pics

Here are some recent pics. I will post some more tomorrow after I buy 1 more piece of LR because I am going to try and rockscape it the way I want. I will also post latest parameters.

After all I have been through I can't believe I now have Aiptasia? Oh well, I guess it is all part of the adventure. I just ordered some Joes Juice.

Attachments

• moon_180.jpg
    moon_180.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 338
  • pod_346.jpg
    pod_346.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 331
  • nice_lr_shot_347.jpg
    nice_lr_shot_347.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 18
  • tank_pi_153.jpg
    tank_pi_153.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 333
Tank is looking good. I would take the Aiptasia the same way as the mantis...annoying but, as you said, all part of the adventure. Dont get too worried about it. Can't have a nice garden without pulling out a few weeds right? :)
Have fun

Back
Top Bottom