Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #31

cycle

I am actually a little concerned about the cycle. I still have extremely high levels of amonia. I got some really nice little pieces again today that are covered in coraline and put them all on top.

I am concerned that I killed so much of the olf rock that there is to much amonia but I am staring to see Nitrites so maybe it will be ok?

All in all I have to say my experience with tampabay saltwater was not good. The LR that I have been buying at my LFS is very light and more pourus. I had to many Gorilla crabs, mantis, stone crabs......It got crazy. I may replace some of the big pieces with some of the stuff from my LFS and use the rest as what I would no consider, "base rock."
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
If you are starting to see some trites, the cycle is coming along.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #33

LR

I spotted a bunch of tiny white bugs last night all over my glass. I have never noticed them before. Any idea? They are to small to get a pic. I also spotted a few critters on the new LR that looked like tiny shrimp but more like bugs.

EDIT: This is a piece of the LR I have been buying to replace what I killed. The bugs are amphinods and copodes so I think. I am going to replace 1 more big piece next week and hopefully the coralline will cover the rest. All I know is I am going slow.

I don't intend to beat up tampabay saltwater, however this rock is much more porous and covered in coralline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nice_lr_209.jpg (34.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #34

Things are finally starting to go a little better...After putting a few nice pieces of LR I am again populated with all kinds of life. The old LR that I killed is coming back nicely little by little. Is it possible for coraline to spread to other rocks quickly? I swear it is spreading from the new rocks but they have only been there a week, is this possible or am I seeing things?

Concerns: I am starting to see a film on the water line? The skimmer is working well so do I have to raise the PH's? I don't know how to face them at an upward angle because they are on suction cups?

I am going to test agaibn tonight. I will be buying 1 more nice piece of LR from the LFS this Saturday and I will post pics. I just love this LR because it is completely covered in dark purple coraline. The last piece cost me $55+ so it should be nice.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #35

Parmeters: I am getting there!

Last week: Amonia 5.0 Nitrite 0.5 Nitrate 2.5 PH 8.2

Today: Amomia 1.o Nitrite >1 Nitrate 20 PH 8.2

20 Nitrate? This is ok because I will be doing a 50% PWC before fish when the cycle is done?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Awesome. Looking good!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #37

I think I may now have an Aiptasia invasion. Check out the thread and see what the pic looks like

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=86616

But all in all I am seeing tons of life even on the LR that I killed only two weeks ago. One of the pieces that was black and extinct has a bunch of baby feathers. Unfortunately I may have killed 1 Aiptasia without knowing it and may have a bunch pop up. I am going to post more pics tonight.

I am almost ready to add my first critters slowly. Maybe another 1-1/2
weeks. I am also adding new piece of LR tomorrow before the cycle ends. I will get more pics up of everything by tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

The little bugs are Pods and are signs of a healthy tank. They are good for your tank because they serve as janitors and they get to stuff your hermits can't get to. The little white bugs on the glass are also pods just of a smaller variety.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 AM   #39

Recent Pics

Here are some recent pics. I will post some more tomorrow after I buy 1 more piece of LR because I am going to try and rockscape it the way I want. I will also post latest parameters.

After all I have been through I can't believe I now have Aiptasia? Oh well, I guess it is all part of the adventure. I just ordered some Joes Juice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank_pi_153.jpg (27.6 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg nice_lr_shot_347.jpg (39.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pod_346.jpg (26.3 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg moon_180.jpg (20.0 KB, 333 views)
Old 09-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank is looking good. I would take the Aiptasia the same way as the mantis...annoying but, as you said, all part of the adventure. Dont get too worried about it. Can't have a nice garden without pulling out a few weeds right?
Have fun

Tags
30 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com