Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

when your tank is cycled add a peppermint shrimp or two. i had a fair amount of aptasia and i added a couple peppermints. i have not seen an apatasia for over a year. even in the sump

steve r

Old 09-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Tank looks good Mike. Are you going to try and buildup those rocks? Caves are good for the fish and inverts usually like to hang out in them too.

I second the peppermint shrimp idea. They may or may not get them under control, but the general consensus is that they kick aiptasia butt. Unfortanetly, do to Katrina, they are hard to come by now and much more expensive, but they are cool, so well worth the investment IMO.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #43

Yes, I was going to get a peppermint when the cycle is done.

I am also going to build the rocks up. I am going to get my last piece of LR today and then I will get some pics when I am done.

EDIT: Added my first piece of livestolk. 1 peppermint shrimp.

Check out the new rockscape. I am very happy with it. I purchased a real nice of Tonga Branch and a nice big piece of tabletop LR. I have never seen this kind of rock before. I absolutely love it because it is flat and easy to make a few caves. Everybody should have 1 or 2 pieces of this. I now have about 5 different kinds of rock. I read that some don't like to mix rock but I love it and think it adds more diversity. I have mostly florida rock, =1 big piece of Fiji, 1 Tonga Branch, 1 tabletop, and 1 piece of LFS premium that is different from Fiji.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_1_978.jpg (29.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg front_table_861.jpg (34.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg front_caves_920.jpg (34.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg new_rock_blue_125.jpg (27.3 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg new_front_blue_751.jpg (26.7 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg new_rockscape_858.jpg (29.2 KB, 321 views)
Old 09-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Wow, Mike! Looking real good!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #45

Thanks Lindsay. I am much happier with the way it looks now. The pics really do not serve justice to what it looks like in my living room. I am also very happty that the cycle is done. I got the peppermint shrimp earlier and he is doing good. Hopefully the Aiptasia will be gone!

I just got back from getting 2 Turbo snails, 2 Pink Margareta snails, and 2 bumble bee snails. That will be it for at least 1 more week when I hope to add my clowns. We will see how the inverts do.

BTW, I didn't know Turbos got this big!!!! I will post a pic soon. The two I got are big. I hope that is ok?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #46
AA Team Emeritus

Hah. Yeah, they get big but your other snails will be fine. You may also want to get 1 or 2 more peppermint shrimp. They like buddies, and will do a better job at getting rid of that aipstasia.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had that same mantis in my tank when I was living in Washington. I took the rock out and boiled it and then had to chisel the rock to get him out. I wasn't going to chance it either. Carbonated water works great at getting stuff to come out of the rocks.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:43 PM   #48

Yeah it was a long struggle. I never did get him out of the rock though. I just put it back. I figured since it was cycling it would decompose. Even though it put me through a lot of stress I felt bad that I had to kill it. I am such a sucker for animals that live in the water and it was not the shrimps fault that it ended up in my tank.

Lindsay that is a good idea to get a few more. The thing is that since my tank is so new I want to go slow so things don't starve. I don't even have fish to feed yet so I am worried about what the shrimp will eat. What does it eat? Also, I really wanted a cherry fire shrimp. Will it be ok with a peppermint?

Does anybody have a good recomendation for a cleaning crew as in numbers. So far I have 1 pep shrimp, 2 Turbos, 2 Margarita's, and 2 bumble bees. It is 30 gal. I think I will stay away from hermits. How many more snails should I add? How about stars? I was going to put 1 serpant star.

Here is 1 of the new Turbos and a new Margarita.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb_264.jpg (119.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg turbo_101.jpg (35.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg margarita_161.jpg (31.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #49
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Looks awesome Mike! I should post a pic of mine, but have to clean the glass, I might do that tonight. I like to have a cave or two, and actually, I might add some more LR next weekend.
Watch that bumble bee snail, they like to eat your other snails. I made the mistake of buying 12 of them, without asking first. They seem to mainly munch algae, but I think, if they run across a smaller snail, they munch it. I love how they look.
Quote:
Also, I really wanted a cherry fire shrimp. Will it be ok with a peppermint?
I believe thoe two will be okay together. The fire shrimp will sometimes act as a cleanershrimp.
Hmmm, for a 30G, clean up crew, you are correct in going slow, especially for newer tanks. You need to give it time to mature. I would say add about 20 snails. I like nassarius and cerith snails.
All in all, your tank looks great and props for you in your patience!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #50

Just wondering. I have not seen my peppermint shrimp since about 6pm yesterday. Is it normal for them to hide this long?

Tags
30 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com