New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an update if anyone is still tagging along.

Both my O Clowns and the Royal Gama are all doing well and seem to be very healthy as are all the corals.

The only issue I have had is some green hair algae on a few pieces of LR. Tonight I modded a AC HOB to use as a temporary fuge to aid in nutrient export. I have also cut back on feedings, light time, and have been doing frequent PWC's.

Tonight I also discovered the mag float. What a difference. It looks like a REAL reef tank now!

I think I got what Speakerman is saying, but it only took about 15 times reading it to do so.

Congrats on your "dots", and your tank, it's lloking great. What are your light cycles, and feeding cycles?

Keep the pics coming

update

Congrats on your "dots", and your tank, it's lloking great. What are your light cycles, and feeding cycles?

I am running the lights 10 hrs a day. I am feeding Omega One Pellets every other day and mysis once a week.

I think it is amazing when I feed the mysis so I look forward to it. Every nassarius comes out of the sand, the peppermints, hermits shoot right out, the sea serpant comes out, and my fish go crazy. I really think that none gets wasted. I was originaly feefing Mysis every other day until I realized this was to much.

Here is a tank shot to show how clean my mag-float got the glass, and a shot of my serpant out for lunch as well as a pic of the xenia I got for free. I know some people do not care for xenia but I think the way it moves is very peaceful.

Attachments

• great_star_shot_761.jpg
    great_star_shot_761.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 21
  • xenia1_137.jpg
    xenia1_137.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1011_full_tank_153.jpg
    1011_full_tank_153.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 25
New Couple

Within the last week or so, my clown has taken up residence with my favorite zoo.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• clown_host_zoo_1_183.jpg
    clown_host_zoo_1_183.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 17
Another first happened for me that I thought was cool today. That brown polyp in the pic, well I looked on the rock directly underneath and there was a tiny single brown polyp.

What a week, first coraline spots on glass, clown hosting zoo, and first runner polyp!

EDIT: If you look in the shady area under the brown polyp frag, you can see a tiny single polyp. I can't believe this all is happening so fast! (And I am working on the HA!)

Attachments

• first_runner_polyp__2__802.jpg
    first_runner_polyp__2__802.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 32
Speakerman, what are you talking about. There is a tiny polyp in the shade that came off my other frag... "hair algae" I am working on it. I was talking about my first "runner polyp."

Speakerman said:
hair algea
LOL! Duh! I don't know what I was thinking. Probably because it didn't have the little line under it!

Oh, I was confused. I didn't know why he said hair algae. I thought he was telling me that the polyp was ha. ha ha ha as in laughing now, not algae!!

You know these are the brown polyps that I got for free and they turned out so nice. I usually do not like brown corals but these are a nice green under acintic and their shape is nice.

It was when I bought my muschroom coral. A little polyp got kicked up from under the sand. It was 2 polyps all closed up and I asked the LFS guy if I could have it. He asked why it is dead? I said hey, it may open up and you did not even know it was there? A month later it has over 6 polyps attached and the little runner!

The hair algae is getting much better and I believe it is because of my diligent PWC's and reduced feeding. AND, for any one who says that Emerald Crabs do not eat HA, well I have been watching 3 eat it for 5 days! They also pick at the little patch of bubble algae I still have but they are working on the hair more. And, I think they are cool little critters.

Sweet man. The couple I have are spreading too now. I had a red one and a green one, now I have an extra red and an extra green. but they are small. I can't wait for them to take over, that what I'm setting this small tank up for is soft coral.

corals

Speakerman,

Just a word from a newbie. Account for growing room when you are purchasing your first corals. I bought a bunch of corals and did not think they could possibly grow that fast but they all are.

Now, I am stuck with a bunch of expanding corals that I do not want to get rid of when they grow to big.

So it is either frag or upgrade....Oh well, I guess I will have to upgrade :oops: :( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Explanation: First 2 faces are girlfriend and Bank and the rest are LFS and online vendors..LOL

Back
Top Bottom