New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the light because i can customize it to simulate sunrise and sunset. I'm going to get some decorative chain today so I can extend my light down and cover the existing wire. I ordered another check valve and will install that when it comes in. Then I can fill the tank. The saltwater is at 1.023 salinity. I'm in the process of heating the water now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds good! That sucks though about the y-check valve, they aren't cheap! I always shot for a 1.025 gravity, but your close enough. (y)

Received my new check valve yesterday. I purchased a different one this time from BRS. I will install it tonight then start filling my tank.

Installed the new check valve. Started filling the tank. Have to mix some more saltwater to finish filling the tank.

Installed the new check valve. Started filling the tank. Have to mix some more saltwater to finish filling the tank.

Sounds great! Just curious, what does the check valve from BRS look like?

Sounds great! Just curious, what does the check valve from BRS look like?

Its a true union check valve. The reviews were pretty good on it. I figured out what was wrong with the George Fisher y check valve. The valve had a screen instead of the rubber piece that should have been in there.

Its a true union check valve. The reviews were pretty good on it. I figured out what was wrong with the George Fisher y check valve. The valve had a screen instead of the rubber piece that should have been in there.

In place of the gasket?

In place of the gasket?

It doesn't have a gasket like the GF y check valve. It has a flip up rubber lid that flips up to allow the water through and shuts down to prevent the the water from back flowing into the sump.

It doesn't have a gasket like the GF y check valve. It has a flip up rubber lid that flips up to allow the water through and shuts down to prevent the the water from back flowing into the sump.

Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

• 1422711946932.jpg
    1422711946932.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 107
Here's a picture of it.

As long as it works! I looked it up on BRS. Very good rating and cheaper than the George Fischer.
It doesn't say very much about it though. I know the spring check valves are not a good choice.

As long as it works! I looked it up on BRS. Very good rating and cheaper than the George Fischer.
It doesn't say very much about it though. I know the spring check valves are not a good choice.

I didn't realize there were two different kind of check valves when I ordered it. The new true union is working great. I tested it by turning off the pump and all went well.

Had a bit of a problem with sump. When I built it I put in a piece of plexiglass that I already had and it had holes drilled in it. Didn't think it would be a problem but it was. I had to take it out and replace with a new piece. I'm installing that today. Will hopefully get it running tomorrow evening.

My only concern with that check valve is it seems to be transparent (or translucent). In either case, if light gets to it, algae will start to grow inside there. That can cause the valve to leak back when the pump is off. a leaking check valve can cause sump overflow when the return pump shuts off (that is the inherent danger in relying on check valves rather than having ample room in your sump for complete back syphon).
I would wrap the check valve in plastic or electrical tape so absolutely no light gets to it.

My only concern with that check valve is it seems to be transparent (or translucent). In either case, if light gets to it, algae will start to grow inside there. That can cause the valve to leak back when the pump is off. a leaking check valve can cause sump overflow when the return pump shuts off (that is the inherent danger in relying on check valves rather than having ample room in your sump for complete back syphon).
I would wrap the check valve in plastic or electrical tape so absolutely no light gets to it.
It could happen. Good point Ingy and good idea. (y)

The check valve will be exposed to the sump light. That's a great idea to wrap it with in plastic. I will give that a try and see how it works out. Thanks for that tip.

I found a new saltwater store that I really like a lot. I Picked up two new frags from them yesterday at lunch time.

A rainbow hornet and a really pretty clove polyp.

Attachments

• 1423681044152.jpg
    1423681044152.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1423681373284.jpg
    1423681373284.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom