Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Can't wait to see this thing up and running!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #112
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
I was not able to do the plumbing on the tank because I realized that I didn't have all if the joining pieces that I needed. I ordered other pieces and should get them by tomorrow hopefully.

Did anyone paint the back of their tank? If so, what kind of paint did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
The wonders of plumbing. May I ask though why you aren't just going to a hardware store or a contractor's outlet? Ordering pieces online has to be much more expensive than the local stuff. When I did my first plumbing job I didn't know very much, I just went in with the bulkhead and said I needed that to fit and how many feet I needed to cover. They'll be more than willing to help.

When it comes to the back of your tank, that is easy. I used a black oil based paint and a sponge brush on mine. Took two coats, but could have had three. The only issue with mine was that the tank and sump were up and running when I painted it, so I had to have stuff over my sump to prevent anything from spilling into the water column. I talked about it some when I did it in my build thread, which should still be in my signature, if you are concerned or confused. It might take a good amount of reading to find it. I don't even remember if it was a flat or gloss paint.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The wonders of plumbing. May I ask though why you aren't just going to a hardware store or a contractor's outlet? Ordering pieces online has to be much more expensive than the local stuff. When I did my first plumbing job I didn't know very much, I just went in with the bulkhead and said I needed that to fit and how many feet I needed to cover. They'll be more than willing to help.

When it comes to the back of your tank, that is easy. I used a black oil based paint and a sponge brush on mine. Took two coats, but could have had three. The only issue with mine was that the tank and sump were up and running when I painted it, so I had to have stuff over my sump to prevent anything from spilling into the water column. I talked about it some when I did it in my build thread, which should still be in my signature, if you are concerned or confused. It might take a good amount of reading to find it. I don't even remember if it was a flat or gloss paint.
I am using colored plumbing parts from BRS and the colored plumbing is not carried in local stores. Since the back of the tank will be visible I didn't want the standard white plumbing. I am going with black pvc and dark gray fittings.
I did go into the local hardware store just to figure out what connection I needed so I could order the right ones.
I am in the process of painting my tank now with black spray paint. I just wasn't sure in the beginning what kind of paint to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Waiting for second coat of paint to dry. The first two coated are a black satin finish and the last coat will be a Metalic black.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

New phone still getting use to it. Here is the attachment.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417197254507.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	256802  
Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

This paint dry to the touch really fast. I just put the third and last coat on. Will let it dry overnight.

I received the plumbing parts today and will try and get this tank up and running this weekend. I will post picks when it's up and running.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
This paint dry to the touch really fast. I just put the third and last coat on. Will let it dry overnight.

I received the plumbing parts today and will try and get this tank up and running this weekend. I will post picks when it's up and running.

Sounds like a winner! Paint looks good. Metallic on the last coat huh? Just an appearance idea you came up with or? Either way I would recommend a gloss on final coat to make it easy to wipe of salt creep or anything and to make it more durable. Can't wait to see this tank come alive.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Sounds like a winner! Paint looks good. Metallic on the last coat huh? Just an appearance idea you came up with or? Either way I would recommend a gloss on final coat to make it easy to wipe of salt creep or anything and to make it more durable. Can't wait to see this tank come alive.
Yea I wanted to do a more glamorous look as the last layer since the back of the tank can be seen at an angle because of where the tank is located which is right off my living room. The Metalic coat has a gloss in it so no need for additional gloss.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yea I wanted to do a more glamorous look as the last layer since the back of the tank can be seen at an angle because of where the tank is located which is right off my living room. The Metalic coat has a gloss in it so no need for additional gloss.

Ok, nice. Sounds good.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Started on the plumbing today. Hopefully tomorrow I can work on it some more.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417303087021.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	256925   Click image for larger version

Name:	1417303099706.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	256926  

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com