Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
I am going to need the 90 pvc elbows instead of using the 45 elbows for bringing the pipe down into the sump. The 45 elbows are just not allowing me to line the pvc pipe up with my filter sock. Ugh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
I did get my overflow box glued in the tank over the weekend and I cut all of my pvc and dry fitted all the pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #123
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
I did get my overflow box glued in the tank over the weekend and I cut all of my pvc and dry fitted all the pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Progress!!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Progress!!
Yes indeed!
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Ok I received my grey 90 degree elbows so now I can get this tank running this weekend. Nothing else to hold me up now. I do have one questions about the shut off valve. Does it matter where you put the shut off valve?
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Ok I received my grey 90 degree elbows so now I can get this tank running this weekend. Nothing else to hold me up now. I do have one questions about the shut off valve. Does it matter where you put the shut off valve?
Anywhere on the lowest drain (to sump) line. I would prefer higher up to reach it easier without needed to bend over. Also, is it a ball valve or gate valve that you got?
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Anywhere on the lowest drain (to sump) line. I would prefer higher up to reach it easier without needed to bend over. Also, is it a ball valve or gate valve that you got?
Its a heavy duty gate valve. It looks exactly like yours. I ended up putting it under the cabinet so it wouldn't be seen from the back of the tank. I plan on putting the check valve under the cabinet as well. I have all the PVC done except for adding in the check valve. I will take pictures when I am done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Its a heavy duty gate valve. It looks exactly like yours. I ended up putting it under the cabinet so it wouldn't be seen from the back of the tank. I plan on putting the check valve under the cabinet as well. I have all the PVC done except for adding in the check valve. I will take pictures when I am done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Very cool.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
The gate vale at the drain is not necessary if your sump can hold the volume of water when the pump stops. If not, you will have flooding during a brown out.
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
The gate vale at the drain is not necessary if your sump can hold the volume of water when the pump stops. If not, you will have flooding during a brown out.
Thanks Jeff.
I'm sure the sump can handle the water from the overflow. I'm not filling the sump all the way up. I just wanted extra security and I am using the Herbie method and that calls for a valve to be on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
combining adult and young discus fishes and fish transfer.. laoski Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 02-14-2012 06:55 PM
Tank Upgrading and Transfer of Existing DT Rock and Livestock tlkng1 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 0 11-05-2011 09:24 AM
saltwater tank setup (going bigger need to transfer) caseydavis Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 09-04-2010 10:50 PM
new tank setup and transfer questions kaz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 04-17-2006 08:08 PM
Transfer of 10 gallon to established 30 gallon Joshsmit56001 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 10-08-2005 07:22 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.