Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Log line in place. Here are some pictures of the plumbing.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418411942282.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	258199   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418412000747.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	258203  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1418412037081.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	258204   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418412049847.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	258205  

__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
More pictures.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418412084121.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	258206   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418412099618.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	258207  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1418412107747.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	258208  
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Now for the water leak test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Ok I made a mistake and glued the pieces in my overflow box on the wrong bulkheads. I have them backwards. Can this be fixed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Well at least the water leak test passed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
I will try to heat them up with a heat gun tomorrow and see if I can soften the glue enough to get them out and reglue in the right place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Ok I made a mistake and glued the pieces in my overflow box on the wrong bulkheads. I have them backwards. Can this be fixed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Looks good, and incredibly similar to my tank! LOL. What exactly do you mean that you glued the pieces in your overflow box in the wrong bulkheads? Do you mean the elbow and the straight piece? if so this may be ok. As long as there is a decent gap between the top of the elbow and the top of the straight piece. Them being drilled at different heights was just kinda something I did on my own to allow a little more room in the box for the bulkheads and I didn't know 100% of how I was gonna adjust the height of my 2 drains for the herbie. Things just feel prefect though. If you used PVC cement I don't think a heat gun will do it. To be honest I'm not sure if anything will do it besides removal and replacement. I could be wrong on that however. I would run if full of water like you will do when the tank is up and running and see if you can adjust it and get it working right before trying to remove it. Also, the heat will loosen the silicone on the overflow box for sure. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you let me know how things go.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Looks good, and incredibly similar to my tank! LOL. What exactly do you mean that you glued the pieces in your overflow box in the wrong bulkheads? Do you mean the elbow and the straight piece? if so this may be ok. As long as there is a decent gap between the top of the elbow and the top of the straight piece. Them being drilled at different heights was just kinda something I did on my own to allow a little more room in the box for the bulkheads and I didn't know 100% of how I was gonna adjust the height of my 2 drains for the herbie. Things just feel prefect though. If you used PVC cement I don't think a heat gun will do it. To be honest I'm not sure if anything will do it besides removal and replacement. I could be wrong on that however. I would run if full of water like you will do when the tank is up and running and see if you can adjust it and get it working right before trying to remove it. Also, the heat will loosen the silicone on the overflow box for sure. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you let me know how things go.
I had glued the elbow in the lower bulkhead and the straight piece in the higher one. When I filled the tank and tested for leaks thats when i noticed that all of my water was draining through the emergency pipe and wasnt going through the main pipe with the filter sock. That's when i realized that i had the pieces in the overflow switched.

I was able to heat the pieces up with a heat gun and remove them. In order to do that I had to remove the overflow box. I also had to replace a section of pipe because the heat from the gun caused it to bend. I have the elbow and straight pieces glued back in the right place now. I just have to glue the overflow box back in now. I will do another water test one night this week and hopefully get this tank filled and cycling by the weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
I had glued the elbow in the lower bulkhead and the straight piece in the higher one. When I filled the tank and tested for leaks thats when i noticed that all of my water was draining through the emergency pipe and wasnt going through the main pipe with the filter sock. That's when i realized that i had the pieces in the overflow switched.

I was able to heat the pieces up with a heat gun and remove them. In order to do that I had to remove the overflow box. I also had to replace a section of pipe because the heat from the gun caused it to bend. I have the elbow and straight pieces glued back in the right place now. I just have to glue the overflow box back in now. I will do another water test one night this week and hopefully get this tank filled and cycling by the weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Ok. Very good, glad you was able to get that all corrected! Did you use PVC glue on those fittings? I was unaware you could heat up PVC cement and remove it.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Yea you can heat them up but depending on how you use the fittings sometimes it changes the size of the inside of the fitting because of the heat and the glue that is left behind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
combining adult and young discus fishes and fish transfer.. laoski Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 02-14-2012 06:55 PM
Tank Upgrading and Transfer of Existing DT Rock and Livestock tlkng1 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 0 11-05-2011 09:24 AM
saltwater tank setup (going bigger need to transfer) caseydavis Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 09-04-2010 10:50 PM
new tank setup and transfer questions kaz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 04-17-2006 08:08 PM
Transfer of 10 gallon to established 30 gallon Joshsmit56001 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 10-08-2005 07:22 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.