New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could uses plastic eggcrate (light diffuser) which is cheap, but some smaller fish can still jump though. This is what I used for years. There are also DIY screen covers that I think BRS has kits for that don't affect the lighting at all and look really nice if done correctly. This is probably the best choice, though I didn't notice much light loss with the eggcrate. Ever since I started up my 40, I haven't had anything over the top. That's why I don't have a wrasse. :)

I've just always had glass covers on all my tanks. (Freshwater and saltwater) I really do like the look of not having a cover but I was always afraid of loosing to much water due to evaporation and fish jumping. I have a screen kit that I bought from Lowes but haven't done anything with it yet. I may try the egg crate and see how that works out before doing a screen cover.
I really love my light. It has shimmering effects that you can see on the rocks and across the bottom of the tank. It really looks like the shallow parts of the ocean with the light dancing on the rocks and bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've just always had glass covers on all my tanks. (Freshwater and saltwater) I really do like the look of not having a cover but I was always afraid of loosing to much water due to evaporation and fish jumping. I have a screen kit that I bought from Lowes but haven't done anything with it yet. I may try the egg crate and see how that works out before doing a screen cover.
I really love my light. It has shimmering effects that you can see on the rocks and across the bottom of the tank. It really looks like the shallow parts of the ocean with the light dancing on the rocks and bottom.

LED's have that effect with multiple light sources. :) I wouldn't go with the glass top though just because you want good o2 exchange. You want the tank to breathe.

Just curious what coral and fish food do you all use to feed your tank?

I was thinking of culturing some brine shrimp for the fish. Any thoughts?

Brine shrimp are good in that most everything will eat them, but nutritionally they are kinda lacking.
You need to "gut load" them with phytoplankton or similar foods before feeding them to your fish to really make them nutritional. One plus is that you can also gut load the shrimp with vitamins/medications/ect.

Ever see or get fish that have that pale looking, stringy poop, but otherwise are perfectly healthy? Most likely they were fed mainly/only brine shrimp for the last couple of weeks. So a balanced diet of multiple food types is still important.

As far as prepared foods go I feed Mysis, Hikari spirolina brine shrimp (gut loaded with spirolina) formula 1 & 2, formula 1 pellets & blood worms occasionally, and I have a pretty good population of different pods and amphipods in my refugium that get constantly flushed into the display. (I added about 6000 to seed it)

Since the pods have taken off I have noticed a lot brighter color in the fish, and they do like it when every few weeks the pods have a population explosion and evening party or whatever and flood the tank to the point it's cloudy,
DINNER TIME! :dance:

OK I saw the new fish this morning. Took a top view picture but only one came out.
The Strawberry Basslett.
I will try to get a better pic later.

Attachments

• 1432223057841.jpg
    1432223057841.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 65
Here is the other fish. Not the greatest picture. I will try to get a better pic later. I'm going to do a water change today and clean the front glass. Then I will try and take some more pictures.

Attachments

• 1432225479198.jpg
    1432225479198.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 59
OK I saw the new fish this morning. Took a top view picture but only one came out.
The Strawberry Basslett.
I will try to get a better pic later.

Pretty fish. It's actually a Strawberry/Purple Dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus) though. Similar to to my Orchid, but they can sometimes be very territorial.

The other fish is the black line fang blenny. Petco had it listed as a striped blenny.

Received my gel filters will try to take some shots with them tonight.
Did any of you hear that Drs Foster and Smith bought Petco. My local Petco told me the other day when I purchased the new fish. So I'm wondering or more like hoping that they turn the Petco into a Drs Foster and Smith Store with a Live aquaria fish department. That would be soooo nice!

Received my gel filters will try to take some shots with them tonight.
Did any of you hear that Drs Foster and Smith bought Petco. My local Petco told me the other day when I purchased the new fish. So I'm wondering or more like hoping that they turn the Petco into a Drs Foster and Smith Store with a Live aquaria fish department. That would be soooo nice!

Can't wait to see how those filters work out! Petco actually bought Dr. Foster and Smith is what I read. I've seen a tiny increase in coral/fish variety, but don't count on a LiveAquaria Petco...

Last I read the plans, was to keep LA as a separate entity, so I wouldn't expect something so grand. Most if these stores wouldn't be able to sell fish outside the generic or easy to keep, that's how mine is. That said, mine has got into soft coral since the merger...coincidence or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last I read the plans, was to keep LA as a separate entity, so I wouldn't expect something so grand. Most if these stores wouldn't be able to sell fish outside the generic or easy to keep, that's how mine is. That said, mine has got into soft coral since the merger...coincidence or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea mine has a couple of softys. Nothing to great.

Can't wait to see how those filters work out! Petco actually bought Dr. Foster and Smith is what I read. I've seen a tiny increase in coral/fish variety, but don't count on a LiveAquaria Petco...

Oh OK. The checkout person told me. I didn't doing reading up. Just took there word for it.

Back
Top Bottom