New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a 15 gallon water change today. Added my carbon and phosphate reactors so hopefully no more drastic changes. My polyps are dying off. I don't know if they will come back now that I have my reactors in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yay! I received the rest of my cleaning crew this morning. I will unpack them when I get back from therapy. Can't wait.

Has anyone ever seen this before? It kinda looks like tiny bubbles. They are concentrated in one area next to the return bulkhead and that's the only spot they are in.

Oops hit the wrong button. Here is he picture.

Attachments

• 1433014818790.jpg
    1433014818790.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 101
Not 100%. Doesn't look like cyano or bubble algae. Any mirco bubble entering the water column from anywhere?

I think it is micro bubbles entering in on the return side of the sump. There seems to be a small leak in the sealant.

How do you all keep your salinity in check? It seems every so often I end up with a low salinity from adding the top off water.

Are you using a skimmer?
If so check how much water may have been pulled by the skimmer.
I have mine plumbed to a collection bottle and occasionally my skimmer will act up and fill the bottle, so when that happens my sump can lose almost a quart of water, BUT not from evap, so the salinity doesn't alter.
That may be what is happening and then you add fresh water whenever you didn't need too and get a corresponding drop in salinity.

I now keep 3-5 gallons of fresh and salt water on hand for just such an occurrence. ;)

Topping off the right amount shouldn't effect salinity at all. Sounds like you are topping off too much to lower your salinity.

I have the tunze top off system and some times it will stop working and my return chamber will get really low. When that happens I will usually fill it back up to the right spot. I unplugged the top off this tine and mixed some saltwater to add to the sump.

Are you using a skimmer?
If so check how much water may have been pulled by the skimmer.
I have mine plumbed to a collection bottle and occasionally my skimmer will act up and fill the bottle, so when that happens my sump can lose almost a quart of water, BUT not from evap, so the salinity doesn't alter.
That may be what is happening and then you add fresh water whenever you didn't need too and get a corresponding drop in salinity.

I now keep 3-5 gallons of fresh and salt water on hand for just such an occurrence. ;)

Yes I am using a skimmer. I Have a hang on back skimmer that runs 24/7 except for when I turn it off to empty the collection cup.

Does sound like skimmer overflow. I found mine overflowing and splashing out of the sump causing this issue.

I don't see anything over flowing in the cup. I am getting some really nasty skim mate. My filter sock is overflowing with bubbles. Do you think it could be that?

My filter floss will clog up sometimes making the section where my ATO is get lower and hence put more RODI top off water in....I keep it at 1.025 and when that happens it can get down to 1.023 no problem.

Just something I've run into before on my tank....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom