New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not teaching you how to suck eggs and without going right through your thread just be careful removing palys in the tank you are far better of removing them with the rock out of the tank and covering your eyes with safety glasses and Wear gloves.

I have seen posts of the damage caused by removing palys in a tank and them releasing palytoxon and crashing the tank this is one

How the tank was note palys at top left

tapatalk_1484351839474.jpg

And 24 hours later palys on left gone but this was the end result !

tapatalk_1484351844850.jpg

if I'm telling you how to suck eggs feel free to tell me to shut up just don't want to see you nuke your tank :)

Thanks Marty. I appreciate you sharing that with me. Sorry that happened to you.

I was thinking the same exact thing about taking the rock out of the tank and wearing safety glasses and gloves. The last thing I want to do is nuke my tank. I am well aware of the damage they can do from reading about it.

The plays are starting to integrate with my L.A. Lakers. So today I want to do surgery on that rock to keep them from over growing my other zoas.

The way I would remove the palys/zoas would be to remove the rock if possible and work on it outside of the tank. If you can just get rid of that rock to the LFS and just replace it with a similar piece (can be dry rock). If you want the rock I would clip them off with bone/coral cutters. To be safe in case of accidentally palytoxin spray or leakage, you should wear gloves and eye protection. The way would first try to remove them would be to clip the rock under the polyps to try to get them to break off with them attached. In a large area I would probably take it outside with a hammer and chisel. It may be a little tedious to do, but I've had great success. If it's a hard lace rock or something that doesn't chip off very well I would probably get rid of that rock. It is possible to separate the polyp off of the rock surface in some cases, but really not ideal for me anyway. This is how people probably get it in their eyes to begin with. Looking at the photo you provided, if I wanted to keep the rock, it would be going outside and getting chiselled off. Just be safe. If present, palytoxin is nothing to play with.

Thanks Marty. I appreciate you sharing that with me. Sorry that happened to you.

I was thinking the same exact thing about taking the rock out of the tank and wearing safety glasses and gloves. The last thing I want to do is nuke my tank. I am well aware of the damage they can do from reading about it.

The plays are starting to integrate with my L.A. Lakers. So today I want to do surgery on that rock to keep them from over growing my other zoas.
It did not happen to me it's one of a few posts I've seen where palys have crashed a tank :)

Thanks everyone. I do want to keep the rock. The rock has LA lakers on it as well and I want to try to save them. Paul that's a real good idea to take it out side and chisel them off. I probably will do that. I think that will be the most effective way to get them off.

Sorry to hear that Barb. Woke up and found my 6 line in my MP-60 yesterday. First loss in a long time, but still sucks.

sorry to here you lost your green corris they have a personality of there own
sean sorry bout your 6 line
I lost all 3 of the green wrasses I magically found in my tank , they mysteriously disappeared 1 by one , but I'm thinking my engineer goby ate them he's got one big mouth.

Ok guys I have a question. If I take the rock that has the invasive Paul's on it and set it outside the tank and just let the paly's dry up and then scrub the dead paly's off. Will that be ok? Or should I set the rock outside and let the sun dry them out?

I had a rock covered in unwanted palys set it outside 3 weeks rinsed before curing it again during curing those palys returned they are tough

I scraped alot of them off outside the tank but I have a few L.A. Lakers on the top of the rock that I want to try and save so I put the rock back in the tank for now.

I will scraped some more off this weekend and try and transplant the L.A. Lakers. Hopefully this will work. Once I get my L.A. Lakers off the rock then I can scrape the rock with wire scrapers to clean the rest of them off.

I was able to get a 4 polyp frag of my L.A. Lakers so far. There are 11 more polyps left to save. I've been picking the invasive polyps off with tweezers that came in my fragging kit.

Back
Top Bottom