Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
You can just drill the tank yourself. You can order diamond hole bits off ebay for a good price. If you have a drill, water, and a steady hand, then your good to go!

Sounds good. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Sounds good. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

No problem! Its not as hard as it would seem. YouTbe has plenty of videos. You just want to be steady, make sure you got the right size for your bulkhead, and keep running water (water hose) on the drill bit while you are dilling it. Good luck!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I believe I got mine pretty cheap from a seller by the name of TexasHoleyRocks on eBay. Good quality for the $$$.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOT E=paul87;3076255]No problem! Its not as hard as it would seem. YouTbe has plenty of videos. You just want to be steady, make sure you got the right size for your bulkhead, and keep running water (water hose) on the drill bit while you are dilling it. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will give it a try this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is a good size bulkhead to get?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I decided to go with a 1.89" schedule 80 bulkhead. I am not sure how many holes to drill for a 40B. I know you need one for the intake and one for the return. I guess the question is should I drill a set of holes on both sides of the backside of tank? or drill one set of holes in the middle back of the tank? What do you all think?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I decided to go with a 1.89" schedule 80 bulkhead. I am not sure how many holes to drill for a 40B. I know you need one for the intake and one for the return. I guess the question is should I drill a set of holes on both sides of the backside of tank? or drill one set of holes in the middle back of the tank? What do you all think?

I ended up using the "herbie method" created by a member on RC. Im really glad I did because it is quite and failsafe. Here's a page that goes over it. Herbie Overflow Plumbing Guide for Quiet Reef Aquariums - gmacreef
There are plenty sites that go over it as well as videos and all. All you need is 3 holes, 3 bulkheads, George Fischer Y-check valve (for return/failsafe), PVC, over flow box, ball valve, and PCV glue. Hopefully I didn't miss anything but you can read up on it. Here is what mine looked like when I got done with it. Haven't had one problem with it yet, which is why I will probably be doing the exact same overflow design for my new 65 gallon when I get it.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

On a 40B, IMO, I would do it identical to how I have mine. It has been absolutely perfect. It can handle a lot more flow than what I have going through it too. You could always switch sides or scoot the overflow box over if you wanted. All the holes should be in the back. I forget what size bulkheads I used and why but I did a lot of research at the time. I know I used (2) 1" PVC for the drains & (1) 3/4" PVC for the return. The holes themselves need to be bigger (two different sizes for the return and the drains) for the bulkhead to fit, because they are actually bigger than the PVC. Hope all of this helps and that I didn't confuse you, tried to keep it simple!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I ended up using the "herbie method" created by a member on RC. Im really glad I did because it is quite and failsafe. Here's a page that goes over it. Herbie Overflow Plumbing Guide for Quiet Reef Aquariums - gmacreef
There are plenty sites that go over it as well as videos and all. All you need is 3 holes, 3 bulkheads, George Fischer Y-check valve (for return/failsafe), PVC, over flow box, ball valve, and PCV glue. Hopefully I didn't miss anything but you can read up on it. Here is what mine looked like when I got done with it. Haven't had one problem with it yet, which is why I will probably be doing the exact same overflow design for my new 65 gallon when I get it.

Wow! That looks very nice. I had heard and read about the Herbie overflow system a while back but didn't quite understand it all. I think that's the route I will take as well. I appreciate the advice. Your picks will come in handy when I get ready to set it up. Thanks Paul I appreciate it very much. Being a women, plumbing is not really my strong suit but it doesn't look that hard to do. I just have to make sure I get all the right parts.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Wow! That looks very nice. I had heard and read about the Herbie overflow system a while back but didn't quite understand it all. I think that's the route I will take as well. I appreciate the advice. Your picks will come in handy when I get ready to set it up. Thanks Paul I appreciate it very much. Being a women, plumbing is not really my strong suit but it doesn't look that hard to do. I just have to make sure I get all the right parts.

No problem. Its not as hard as it may seem. Get you a pair of PVC cutters and cutting the pipe will be a breeze with no mess or burrs. Glue it and insert. Aquarium safe silicone to attach the overflow box. No glue needed for bulkheads. I recommend a variable speed drill though for the drilling of the tank. Steady and patience at a constant speed, not too fast, not too slow with constant water running on the bit. Just remember, water and electricity don't mix! So be careful of the cords and drill.

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com