Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #331
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bought a mini reactor from BRS and installed it on my 20 gallon long tank at work so I could take the double gfo & carbon reactors home to put on my 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #332
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just curious what coral and fish food do you all use to feed your tank?

I was thinking of culturing some brine shrimp for the fish. Any thoughts?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #333
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Just curious what coral and fish food do you all use to feed your tank?

I was thinking of culturing some brine shrimp for the fish. Any thoughts?

Live brine shrimp is good. Most fish love it. I like Reef Chilli as a coral food. I usually feed my fish frozen foods from San Francisco Bay like frozen mysis shrimp and marine cuisine. I was actually thinking on trying LRS reef frenzy next time I get this though. Andrew carries it and speaks pretty highly of it. I've heard good things on it as well. I've never had a problem with the San Francisco Bay Brand though, and it is usually available at most LFS's. I don't like dry flakes and pellets that much and I've tried omega one frozen and I didn't like it either as is clouds the water and contained a gel binder.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #334
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Live brine shrimp is good. Most fish love it. I like Reef Chilli as a coral food. I usually feed my fish frozen foods from San Francisco Bay like frozen mysis shrimp and marine cuisine. I was actually thinking on trying LRS reef frenzy next time I get this though. Andrew carries it and speaks pretty highly of it. I've heard good things on it as well. I've never had a problem with the San Francisco Bay Brand though, and it is usually available at most LFS's. I don't like dry flakes and pellets that much and I've tried omega one frozen and I didn't like it either as is clouds the water and contained a gel binder.
Thank you Paul. I appreciate the input. I have been using Coral Frenzy mixed with phytoplex and phytoplankton to feed the corals at work. I've been using mysis flat pack and rods reef food. I like the flat packs because you can take off what you need and no wasting. I add that to some aquarium water and then strain it through a coffee filter to get rid of any impurities then I add it to some selcon and mix with aquarium water. The fish absolutely love it. I only feed them three times a week (M-W-F) due to my tanks being at work and I'm teleworking Tuesdays and Thursdays. I hate starving them. That's one of the reasons I am bringing my tanks home this year.

I was asking the original question because if money gets a little tight I'd like to know I can still feed my fish but as cheaply as possible. That's why I wanted to try culturing some brine shrimp. I am already hatching them for my dwarf seahorses. I may look into culturing mysis shrimp as well.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #335
Aquarium Advice Addict

Started my brine shrimp culture today. We will see how it works out.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #336
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a picture of the tank. Waiting on some more cleaners to arrive tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431947996129.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	272451  
Old 05-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #337
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found a really nice green and purple maxi mini that will go in the 40 once all is good. He is in my 10 gallon right now with a smaller green one. Both pics taken under the blue actinics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431948475727.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	272454   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431948522393.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	272455  

Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #338
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking good! I love the mini-maxi's! Just curious is that a glass cover on the tank?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #339
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Looking good! I love the mini-maxi's! Just curious is that a glass cover on the tank?
Yes it is a glass cover. I would like to try and go without it and make a screen cover but not sure how that would work out.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #340
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Yes it is a glass cover. I would like to try and go without it and make a screen cover but not sure how that would work out.

You could uses plastic eggcrate (light diffuser) which is cheap, but some smaller fish can still jump though. This is what I used for years. There are also DIY screen covers that I think BRS has kits for that don't affect the lighting at all and look really nice if done correctly. This is probably the best choice, though I didn't notice much light loss with the eggcrate. Ever since I started up my 40, I haven't had anything over the top. That's why I don't have a wrasse.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com