Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Ok thanks Paul. I appreciate all the help. This process can be very confusing when your not familiar with it. I have learned a lot through our conversations on here. I started on building my sump yesterday. I have the first stage completed and hope to have the refugium and return stages done later today. I have to get one more panel cut at lowes and then I can complete the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yes it can be confusing! This forum helped me out alot she I got started. Happy to return the favor and good luck on that sump!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Yes it can be confusing! This forum helped me out alot she I got started. Happy to return the favor and good luck on that sump!

Thank you Paul. I did get the sump completed and placed in the stand this past weekend. I wasn't that great at spreading the glue out but I kinda like having that thickness for extra strength. When I built my 10 gallon sump I ended up having a panel come loose because I didn't put enough glue on it trying to make it look nice.
I also put a industrial strength electrical strip (that has 9 plugs spread out on the strip) inside the cabinet for plugging in all of my equipment. I ordered my bulkheads, glass drill bits, filter sock holder and extra filter socks over the weekend. I am hoping to get those items in this week. Hopefully I can drill my tank this weekend coming up. I will post some pictures of my progress when I get home.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thank you Paul. I did get the sump completed and placed in the stand this past weekend. I wasn't that great at spreading the glue out but I kinda like having that thickness for extra strength. When I built my 10 gallon sump I ended up having a panel come loose because I didn't put enough glue on it trying to make it look nice.
I also put a industrial strength electrical strip (that has 9 plugs spread out on the strip) inside the cabinet for plugging in all of my equipment. I ordered my bulkheads, glass drill bits, filter sock holder and extra filter socks over the weekend. I am hoping to get those items in this week. Hopefully I can drill my tank this weekend coming up. I will post some pictures of my progress when I get home.

Sounds like your on it! Can't wait to see it all come together. Looking toward to the pics.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When I built my 10 gallon sump I ended up having a panel come loose because I didn't put enough glue on it trying to make it look nice.

Can I ask a quick question? Are you using glass or acrylic for your sump or are you mixing the 2 (ie glass tank and acrylic baffles)?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tagging along! It seems like you're well on your way to having a good setup

I'll also play devil's advocate and say that if I had the chance of choosing between a drilled tank or a HOB overflow again, I would go with the HOB. My HOB setup was way easier for me than my drilled tank has been. Just my $.02
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Can I ask a quick question? Are you using glass or acrylic for your sump or are you mixing the 2 (ie glass tank and acrylic baffles)?

Hi Ingy, I am using a standard 20 gallon long glass tank with plexiglass baffles.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywhitney View Post
Tagging along! It seems like you're well on your way to having a good setup

I'll also play devil's advocate and say that if I had the chance of choosing between a drilled tank or a HOB overflow again, I would go with the HOB. My HOB setup was way easier for me than my drilled tank has been. Just my $.02

Yeah I know it's a lot more work with the drilled tank but I want to have it fail safe and make sure of not flooding the floors. I currently have HOB overflows on the two tanks I am transferring into the 40B. Those 2 tanks are in my office at work and since I can't be there 24/7 it's a risk I am taking. I have dosing pumps to keep the syphon going but as I experienced the other day, the dosing pump on one of the tanks just quit working. Luckily there was no power outage at the time. Not to mention being on the second floor. There is a retired General that rents the floor below us and I wouldn't want the tanks to flood his offices. The building management wouldn't be to happy either.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I would like to get your thought on lighting for the 40B. I currently have several true lumen lights on m 29 gallon and I didn't want to transfer those over to the 40B. I would rather have one light fixture as appose to several.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Yeah I know it's a lot more work with the drilled tank but I want to have it fail safe and make sure of not flooding the floors. I currently have HOB overflows on the two tanks I am transferring into the 40B. Those 2 tanks are in my office at work and since I can't be there 24/7 it's a risk I am taking. I have dosing pumps to keep the syphon going but as I experienced the other day, the dosing pump on one of the tanks just quit working. Luckily there was no power outage at the time. Not to mention being on the second floor. There is a retired General that rents the floor below us and I wouldn't want the tanks to flood his offices. The building management wouldn't be to happy either.

That is completely understandable. Like I said though it sounds like you have a great plan and I'm looking forward to seeing how this build turns out.
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Ok I would like to get your thought on lighting for the 40B. I currently have several true lumen lights on m 29 gallon and I didn't want to transfer those over to the 40B. I would rather have one light fixture as appose to several.

Are you going with coral (you better be! LOL) or just fowlr?

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com