Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Sump looks good! Like the power strip but why would you run a timer on your skimmer? Why no let it run nonstop? Also the light looks good, but not many specifics in the pics. Got a link to it? With the two pumps you have, you could probably get away with using either of them. I ended up going with a danner mag 3 which is 350 gph on my system which is virtually the same as yours will be. I could get away with more or less flow though Im sure. Depending on how high the water is being pumped you will loose gph as well.

Thanks Paul. I was told that it would take out to many nutrients if I ran it 24/7. I was thinking 3 or 4 times a week. I was reading somewhere that if you use powerhead a for flow you don't need a high flow with your water pump. I can send more info on the light.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Thanks Paul. I was told that it would take out to many nutrients if I ran it 24/7. I was thinking 3 or 4 times a week. I was reading somewhere that if you use powerhead a for flow you don't need a high flow with your water pump. I can send more info on the light.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I think that's nonsense. The point of it is to remove all dissolved protein and other contaminants. It's not gonna take out all your necessary nutrients. Ive always ran mine 24/7. You will probably want a couple powerheads to get the flow distributed good in the tank. You don't want the return going so fast that nothing is really getting filtered by what you have in your sump but you don't want it going super slow either. MaxSpect Gyre Pumps just came out and are way better than any other powerheads supposedly. No dead spots whatsoever in the tank with a very nice controllable flow. I hear they will have 4 different models. They are pricey, but I will be looking into them.
__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I think that's nonsense. The point of it is to remove all dissolved protein and other contaminants. It's not gonna take out all your necessary nutrients. Ive always ran mine 24/7. You will probably want a couple powerheads to get the flow distributed good in the tank. You don't want the return going so fast that nothing is really getting filtered by what you have in your sump but you don't want it going super slow either. MaxSpect Gyre Pumps just came out and are way better than any other powerheads supposedly. No dead spots whatsoever in the tank with a very nice controllable flow. I hear they will have 4 different models. They are pricey, but I will be looking into them.

Ok thanks for that info. I will run the skimmer 24/7 then. I will look into the MaxSpect powerheads to.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Ok thanks for that info. I will run the skimmer 24/7 then. I will look into the MaxSpect powerheads to.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
You only need 1 for the aquarium. They are crazy. $300 though for the one I seen.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
You only need 1 for the aquarium. They are crazy. $300 though for the one I seen.

Yeah I saw a video of one. Very nice but expensive. I have Vortechs on my 29 gallon that I am going to use for now plus extra powerheads that I am also going to use.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

Here is the 24" light I purchased. Please look it up on Amazon and see if you think it will be ok. If not, I can always send it back and get another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415805709.192306.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	255568  
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mattyfelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,111
i just read a post on nano reef about the gyres breaking down. eep :/
__________________
60G Freshwater || 10G Reef
Instagram: MATTYFELTS
Mattyfelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyfelts View Post
i just read a post on nano reef about the gyres breaking down. eep :/

Yeah I wouldn't buy them anyway until they have worked out all the bugs.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,263
The light looks to be pretty good from what I read. Should work great! That sucks about the gyres breaking down, it is a super cool idea though. Regular powerheads will be just fine, have been for years and years.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
The light looks to be pretty good from what I read. Should work great! That sucks about the gyres breaking down, it is a super cool idea though. Regular powerheads will be just fine, have been for years and years.

Ok thanks Paul. I really liked what the reviewers had to say about the light. I am suppose to be getting it in today. I also received my Y valve today. The MaxSpect Gyre is still very new and I am sure they will work out the problems and come out with a new and improved one.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
combining adult and young discus fishes and fish transfer.. laoski Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 02-14-2012 06:55 PM
Tank Upgrading and Transfer of Existing DT Rock and Livestock tlkng1 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 0 11-05-2011 09:24 AM
saltwater tank setup (going bigger need to transfer) caseydavis Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 09-04-2010 10:50 PM
new tank setup and transfer questions kaz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 04-17-2006 08:08 PM
Transfer of 10 gallon to established 30 gallon Joshsmit56001 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 10-08-2005 07:22 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.