New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to need the 90° pvc elbows instead of using the 45° elbows for bringing the pipe down into the sump. The 45° elbows are just not allowing me to line the pvc pipe up with my filter sock. Ugh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did get my overflow box glued in the tank over the weekend and I cut all of my pvc and dry fitted all the pieces.

Ok I received my grey 90 degree elbows so now I can get this tank running this weekend. Nothing else to hold me up now. I do have one questions about the shut off valve. Does it matter where you put the shut off valve?

Ok I received my grey 90 degree elbows so now I can get this tank running this weekend. Nothing else to hold me up now. I do have one questions about the shut off valve. Does it matter where you put the shut off valve?

Anywhere on the lowest drain (to sump) line. I would prefer higher up to reach it easier without needed to bend over. Also, is it a ball valve or gate valve that you got?

Anywhere on the lowest drain (to sump) line. I would prefer higher up to reach it easier without needed to bend over. Also, is it a ball valve or gate valve that you got?

Its a heavy duty gate valve. It looks exactly like yours. I ended up putting it under the cabinet so it wouldn't be seen from the back of the tank. I plan on putting the check valve under the cabinet as well. I have all the PVC done except for adding in the check valve. I will take pictures when I am done.

Its a heavy duty gate valve. It looks exactly like yours. I ended up putting it under the cabinet so it wouldn't be seen from the back of the tank. I plan on putting the check valve under the cabinet as well. I have all the PVC done except for adding in the check valve. I will take pictures when I am done.

Very cool.

The gate vale at the drain is not necessary if your sump can hold the volume of water when the pump stops. If not, you will have flooding during a brown out.

The gate vale at the drain is not necessary if your sump can hold the volume of water when the pump stops. If not, you will have flooding during a brown out.

Thanks Jeff.
I'm sure the sump can handle the water from the overflow. I'm not filling the sump all the way up. I just wanted extra security and I am using the Herbie method and that calls for a valve to be on there.

Hey Paul how did you attache the lockline return to your bulkhead?

My bulkhead was threaded on the inside. I just screwed it in. If yours isn't threaded you could get a pvc coupling that slips in and coverts to threads. Not sure if they make a slip in lockline or not but you could check that out maybe as well.

The only purpose of the gate valve only on the main drain is to adjust the water level in the overflow box. It is a necessity on the 'herbie method' to make a silent and fail-proof system. It serves no purpose for keeping water from draining into the sump. The George Fischer Y-check takes care of that, even though the sump should hold the remaining water from the return line if the water was to shut off and the Y-check was to fail. I have never known a Fischer Y-check to fail though I'm sure its possible.

If the purpose is to have a silent overflow, the only thing you need is bore a hole on top of the strainer and insert a rigid plastic tubing about 8" long. It acts as a breather and let the air pass through. Flooding can be prevented by an ATO controlling the return pump and with non-mechanical sensor at the display tank.

If the purpose is to have a silent overflow, the only thing you need is bore a hole on top of the strainer and insert a rigid plastic tubing about 8" long. It acts as a breather and let the air pass through. Flooding can be prevented by an ATO controlling the return pump and with non-mechanical sensor at the main tank.
Yes there are several methods however the 'herbie method' incorporates a full syphon with absolutely no air in the line whatsoever with a secondary or emergency drain in the main gets obstructed by anything. Very great setup. I've use it on my current tank and will being doing the same when I upgrade.

My bulkhead was threaded on the inside. I just screwed it in. If yours isn't threaded you could get a pvc coupling that slips in and coverts to threads. Not sure if they make a slip in lockline or not but you could check that out maybe as well.

OK thanks I will check on that.

Ordered the pieces I need to get my return loc line connected to my bulk head. I will start mixing my rodi water and salt tomorrow night so it will be ready to go in the tank when I am done. I will test the tank for leaks as soon as I get my loc line in place.

Ordered the pieces I need to get my return loc line connected to my bulk head. I will start mixing my rodi water and salt tomorrow night so it will be ready to go in the tank when I am done. I will test the tank for leaks as soon as I get my loc line in place.

(y) Bet you cant wait to get this thing wet!

The parts came in so now I can connect my loc line to the bulk head. I will do that when I get home today. Looks like I will get to fill my tank this weekend. So excited!

Back
Top Bottom