Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Sump looks good! Like the power strip but why would you run a timer on your skimmer? Why no let it run nonstop? Also the light looks good, but not many specifics in the pics. Got a link to it? With the two pumps you have, you could probably get away with using either of them. I ended up going with a danner mag 3 which is 350 gph on my system which is virtually the same as yours will be. I could get away with more or less flow though Im sure. Depending on how high the water is being pumped you will loose gph as well.

Thanks Paul. I was told that it would take out to many nutrients if I ran it 24/7. I was thinking 3 or 4 times a week. I was reading somewhere that if you use powerhead a for flow you don't need a high flow with your water pump. I can send more info on the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Thanks Paul. I was told that it would take out to many nutrients if I ran it 24/7. I was thinking 3 or 4 times a week. I was reading somewhere that if you use powerhead a for flow you don't need a high flow with your water pump. I can send more info on the light.

I think that's nonsense. The point of it is to remove all dissolved protein and other contaminants. It's not gonna take out all your necessary nutrients. Ive always ran mine 24/7. You will probably want a couple powerheads to get the flow distributed good in the tank. You don't want the return going so fast that nothing is really getting filtered by what you have in your sump but you don't want it going super slow either. MaxSpect Gyre Pumps just came out and are way better than any other powerheads supposedly. No dead spots whatsoever in the tank with a very nice controllable flow. I hear they will have 4 different models. They are pricey, but I will be looking into them.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think that's nonsense. The point of it is to remove all dissolved protein and other contaminants. It's not gonna take out all your necessary nutrients. Ive always ran mine 24/7. You will probably want a couple powerheads to get the flow distributed good in the tank. You don't want the return going so fast that nothing is really getting filtered by what you have in your sump but you don't want it going super slow either. MaxSpect Gyre Pumps just came out and are way better than any other powerheads supposedly. No dead spots whatsoever in the tank with a very nice controllable flow. I hear they will have 4 different models. They are pricey, but I will be looking into them.

Ok thanks for that info. I will run the skimmer 24/7 then. I will look into the MaxSpect powerheads to.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Ok thanks for that info. I will run the skimmer 24/7 then. I will look into the MaxSpect powerheads to.

You only need 1 for the aquarium. They are crazy. $300 though for the one I seen.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You only need 1 for the aquarium. They are crazy. $300 though for the one I seen.

Yeah I saw a video of one. Very nice but expensive. I have Vortechs on my 29 gallon that I am going to use for now plus extra powerheads that I am also going to use.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

Here is the 24" light I purchased. Please look it up on Amazon and see if you think it will be ok. If not, I can always send it back and get another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415805709.192306.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	255568  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

i just read a post on nano reef about the gyres breaking down. eep :/
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyfelts View Post
i just read a post on nano reef about the gyres breaking down. eep :/

Yeah I wouldn't buy them anyway until they have worked out all the bugs.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The light looks to be pretty good from what I read. Should work great! That sucks about the gyres breaking down, it is a super cool idea though. Regular powerheads will be just fine, have been for years and years.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The light looks to be pretty good from what I read. Should work great! That sucks about the gyres breaking down, it is a super cool idea though. Regular powerheads will be just fine, have been for years and years.

Ok thanks Paul. I really liked what the reviewers had to say about the light. I am suppose to be getting it in today. I also received my Y valve today. The MaxSpect Gyre is still very new and I am sure they will work out the problems and come out with a new and improved one.

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, setup, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com