New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew did replace the first batch that also parished. They were shipped 2 day and also arrive extremely cold. I'm going to let him know today. I dontbolan on ordering anything else until weather is warmer.

I received the PVC unions yesterday so I just have to attach those and get my rock work done and in the tank. I will probably do another water leak test before filling the tank with the salt water. I am hoping I have time to get that done this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hope they do good. Thats was pretty nice of him to send again no charge though, I wasn't expecting that for sure. I'm about to be in the same boat as you. Just got me a 40b today at Petco with the $1 a gallon sale!

Yeah that was really nice of Andrew. He has been really great and he is trying to help me figure out why the frags keep dying.

OK attached the unions today and glued the overflow box back in place. Tomorrow I will work on the rocks and hopefully I can come up with something good. I will also do a water test to make sure nothing is leaking. Should be able to fill it tomorrow if all goes well.

Hope they do good. Thats was pretty nice of him to send again no charge though, I wasn't expecting that for sure. I'm about to be in the same boat as you. Just got me a 40b today at Petco with the $1 a gallon sale!

Congrats on the new tank. Cant wait to see how this one comes together.

I am in the process of testing the tank for leaks. Nonleaks thank goodness. I also simulated a power outage by unplugging the pump. It looks like my sump would overflow. So how much water should drain into the during a power outage?

I am in the process of testing the tank for leaks. Nonleaks thank goodness. I also simulated a power outage by unplugging the pump. It looks like my sump would overflow. So how much water should drain into the during a power outage?

Shouldn't be much with that George Fischer Y-Check valve. A gallon tops I would guess, but shouldn't even be half that probably. you may need to lower the water level in you sump. How high do you have it?

Shouldn't be much with that George Fischer Y-Check valve. A gallon tops I would guess, but shouldn't even be half that probably. you may need to lower the water level in you sump. How high do you have it?

When I unplugged the pump the water was draining back down through the Y-check valve and filling the sump. I thought the y-check valve was suppose to prevent water from draining back into the sump.

When I unplugged the pump the water was draining back down through the Y-check valve and filling the sump. I thought the y-check valve was suppose to prevent water from draining back into the sump.

It is supposed too. Mine does. Whatever water is in the line below the y-check will drain, plus the remaining water in the drains. Maybe your valve is faulty? :( Also, is your locline fully submerged? Sometimes that can create a syphon, though the y-check should prevent it. How high id the water in your sump while running? Pics may help me help you.

It is supposed too. Mine does. Whatever water is in the line below the y-check will drain, plus the remaining water in the drains. Maybe your valve is faulty? :( Also, is your locline fully submerged? Sometimes that can create a syphon, though the y-check should prevent it. How high id the water in your sump while running? Pics may help me help you.

The water level is about 9 1/2" high on the side with the skimmer which is the first section. I raised the locline up so it would not create a syphon. Here are some pictures.

1422159460384.jpg1422159460384.jpg1422159460384.jpg

Attachments

• 1422159320363.jpg
    1422159320363.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 98
I'm kinda at a loss here. So it just keeps draining? Does it eventually stop? Can I get a pic of the entire sump?

I'm kinda at a loss here. So it just keeps draining? Does it eventually stop? Can I get a pic of the entire sump?

No the water didn't stop draining. I had to start the pump back up to prevent the sump from overflowing.
Did you want a picture of the sump while it's running? Or just a picture of it dry.

Started mixing my saltwater last night. I am hoping to get the tank filled tomorrow or Wedsenday.

I'm considering placing my rockscape on the glass and spreading the sand around the rocks. Has anyone had success with this type of rockscape?

I'm considering placing my rockscape on the glass and spreading the sand around the rocks. Has anyone had success with this type of rockscape?

That's fine, it's actually recommended to do it that way as it makes your scape more stable. I like to put some egg crate on the bottom glass with the rock on top of that and then add sand, but as long as your careful with your rock it's not necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks BigRed. Here's what I came up with on the rock scape.

Attachments

• 1422291760457.jpg
    1422291760457.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1422291786213.jpg
    1422291786213.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 78
Looks good, one suggestion I would try (and jmo) is taking the 2 rocks on top of the left side off ( the big one about 1/3 the way in from the left and the smaller one that's just a little to the left of dead center) to change up the height from side to side a little and give you some different lighting levels for different corals. You could even try adding the smaller one to the right side to add a little more height too

i really like it, that cave slightly off to the right in the front is awesome. will look good covered in corals!

Thanks Mattyfelts. I played a round with for about 30 minutes to come up with this. May play around some more not sure yet.

Looks good, one suggestion I would try (and jmo) is taking the 2 rocks on top of the left side off ( the big one about 1/3 the way in from the left and the smaller one that's just a little to the left of dead center) to change up the height from side to side a little and give you some different lighting levels for different corals. You could even try adding the smaller one to the right side to add a little more height too

OK thanks BigRed. Are you saying to make the rock scape higher on one side and lower on the other side?

OK thanks BigRed. Are you saying to make the rock scape higher on one side and lower on the other side?

I don't think you need to make it higher, but I think it would look good with a little more difference in height between the 2 sides

Back
Top Bottom