New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Decided not to drill my tank this past weekend. It was just to cold out side. I was going to try to do it inside but just did get around to it. Had to clean my freshwater tanks. Maybe one day during the week i can take off work a couple of hours and get it done.

Received the overflow box and all the PVC pipe on Friday. Just got to get that tank drilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok Paul, I am ready to drill my tank but I have a couple if questions. First, is your overflow box positioned at the top of your tank? Second, how far down is the main drain in comparison to the emergency drain? From the pics you posted it looks like about an inch.

Ok Paul, I am ready to drill my tank but I have a couple if questions. First, is your overflow box positioned at the top of your tank? Second, how far down is the main drain in comparison to the emergency drain? From the pics you posted it looks like about an inch.

Yes you are correct. My overflow box is flush against the plastic bracing on the top of the tank. The main drain is about an inch lower than the emergency drain. It doesn't have to be exact, but close to that is what I did. Main thing is that both bulkheads fit inside of the box without hitting each other or the overflow box. Remember don't apply pressure to the tank, let the weight of the drill do the work. Be steady and patient. Starting is the hardest part because the bit may try to slide around on you. Best to start the bit at a very slight angle. Good luck and happy drilling!

Yes you are correct. My overflow box is flush against the plastic bracing on the top of the tank. The main drain is about an inch lower than the emergency drain. It doesn't have to be exact, but close to that is what I did. Main thing is that both bulkheads fit inside of the box without hitting each other or the overflow box. Remember don't apply pressure to the tank, let the weight of the drill do the work. Be steady and patient. Starting is the hardest part because the bit may try to slide around on you. Best to start the bit at a very slight angle. Good luck and happy drilling!

Ok thanks Paul. I will let you know how it goes afterwards.

[QUOT E=paul87;3094881]Nice! Did it seem like it took forever? Lol[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes it did seem like it took a long time. I think I was a little intimidated by it at first but once I started drilling I felt more comfortable. I actually liked drilling the holes. One thing I did wrong was I didn't drill the holes close enough to each other. The bulkheads touch the sides of the overflow box so I ordered a different overflow box to remedy that problem.

Woot woot! I drilled my holes in my tank. I am so proud of myself. Now I have to put my plumbers hat on and get the plumbing done.

[QUOT E=paul87;3094881]Nice! Did it seem like it took forever? Lol

Thanks. Yes it did seem like it took a long time. I think I was a little intimidated by it at first but once I started drilling I felt more comfortable. I actually liked drilling the holes. One thing I did wrong was I didn't drill the holes close enough to each other. The bulkheads touch the sides of the overflow box so I ordered a different overflow box to remedy that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]
Oops! It can touch, just have to make sure the box sits flush against the glass. If not, a bigger overflow box will do it. The plumbing is the easy part compared to the drilling. Your on your way now! I would invest in some hand held PVC cutters to make it even easier.

Oops! It can touch, just have to make sure the box sits flush against the glass. If not, a bigger overflow box will do it. The plumbing is the easy part compared to the drilling. Your on your way now! I would invest in some hand held PVC cutters to make it even easier.[/QUOTE]

The overflow box dose fit snug against the glass so that wouldn't be an issue?
I should be getting the other overflow box in today. I will see which one I like better in that tank and u will save the other one for my 29 gallon tank.

When I move everything out of my 29 gallon tank into the 40B I will be setting the 29 gallon back up for my snowflake eel. I will drill the tank and use the extra overflow box on that tank.

I did buy the PVC cutters to make the cutting easier. I am hoping to get the plumbing done and fill the tank this weekend and check for any leaks. If no leaks I will fill it with the saltwater and add my rock.

Do you think it would be a problem to add the RODI water and salt and mix it right in the tank. The only reason I ask is that I only have 5 gallon buckets right now to mix my saltwater in.

Oops! It can touch, just have to make sure the box sits flush against the glass. If not, a bigger overflow box will do it. The plumbing is the easy part compared to the drilling. Your on your way now! I would invest in some hand held PVC cutters to make it even easier.

I should be getting the other overflow box in today. I will see which one I like better in that tank and u will save the other one for my 29 gallon tank.

When I move everything out of my 29 gallon tank into the 40B I will be setting the 29 gallon back up for my snowflake eel. I will drill the tank and use the extra overflow box on that tank.

I did buy the PVC cutters to make the cutting easier. I am hoping to get the plumbing done and fill the tank this weekend and check for any leaks. If no leaks I will fill it with the saltwater and add my rock.

Do you think it would be a problem to add the RODI water and salt and mix it right in the tank. The only reason I ask is that I only have 5 gallon buckets right now to mix my saltwater in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

Yes, as long as the box is secured and sealed along with the bulheads, you are good to go. Take a pic if you can of what the box looks like where it would sit. I don't see a problem with mixing the salt and water in the tank if that's all that's in there. Personally I would put some base rocks directly on the glass before I added my sand for security if you have a general idea for rockscape. If doing that you will want to mix in another container and add the water after sand and bottom rocks.

Yes, as long as the box is secured and sealed along with the bulheads, you are good to go. Take a pic if you can of what the box looks like where it would sit. I don't see a problem with mixing the salt and water in the tank if that's all that's in there. Personally I would put some base rocks directly on the glass before I added my sand for security if you have a general idea for rockscape. If doing that you will want to mix in another container and add the water after sand and bottom rocks.[/QUOTE]

Ok thank Paul. I will take a picture when I get home and post it so you can see. Ok I will put the base rock in first and then mix the saltwater separately. Are your PVC elbows in the overflow box 1" also.

Here is a picture of the overflow box in place. The bulk heads are actually holding the box up in place.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416589838.864000.jpg

What size PVC elbo's did you get for inside the overflow box and on the outside going down to your sump?
Is that one piece in the overflow a threaded piece of PVC?

What size PVC elbo's did you get for inside the overflow box and on the outside going down to your sump?
Is that one piece in the overflow a threaded piece of PVC?

Yes they are 1" pvc. I believe they are threaded but not positive. If not you can get slip ones and glue them. I will have to check it out she I get home. That box looks good though. Personally I wouldn't want a big no on a 40g. As long as you silicone the box in-between the box and the glass and rub a smooth bead inside and out you are good. You don't want to silicone the bulkheads though.

No problem. I may actually buy that bigger overflow box from you if you don't need it or can't return it. I may be starting a 75g upgrade! ��

The overflow box is a 1200 gph but it's designed differently. Its only 2" wide but flares out on the ends and it didn't work out for me anyway on this build. I may use it in my 29 gallon tank (if it will work) when I redo that one.

Back
Top Bottom