New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The overflow box is a 1200 gph but it's designed differently. Its only 2" wide but flares out on the ends and it didn't work out for me anyway on this build. I may use it in my 29 gallon tank (if it will work) when I redo that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yea I seen some like that before. Not alot of room depth wise, but nice looking.

Yea I think if I use it for my 29 gallon I would probably have to go with 3/4" PVC in the overflow box because there just isn't enough room for the 1". Do you think that will work?

Yea I think if I use it for my 29 gallon I would probably have to go with 3/4" PVC in the overflow box because there just isn't enough room for the 1". Do you think that will work?

Yea, It should. You just don't want the return pump to push more water than the drains can handle.

[QUOT E=paul87;3097254]Yea, It should. You just don't want the return pump to push more water than the drains can handle.[/QUOTE]

Ok sounds good. I will check back with you when I start a thread for the 29 redo.

I was not able to do the plumbing on the tank because I realized that I didn't have all if the joining pieces that I needed. I ordered other pieces and should get them by tomorrow hopefully.

Did anyone paint the back of their tank? If so, what kind of paint did you use?

I was not able to do the plumbing on the tank because I realized that I didn't have all if the joining pieces that I needed. I ordered other pieces and should get them by tomorrow hopefully.

Plumbing is usually like that. Its rare you get everything in one trip. I painted the back of my glass with black gloss acrylic paint with a small foam roller and brush around bulkheads. At least 3 coats.

I painted the back of mine. Black gloss - Krylon spray paint. I've painted a lot of tanks with various colors. Spray paint works very well as it give a nice even coat.

I painted the back of mine. Black gloss - Krylon spray paint. I've painted a lot of tanks with various colors. Spray paint works very well as it give a nice even coat.
Come to think of it that is what I did on my 38. Got sone on my PVC. It was a 10 gallon I rolled, but it worked out great too. I use gloss black rustoleum I believe. Krylon works just as good id imagine. I'd go with gloss in for cleaning purposes. No matter flat, satin, or whatever it will be the same from the inside through the glass. Tape off your trim and sides of tank and anything else that you don't want painted.

Come to think of it that is what I did on my 38. Got sone on my PVC. It was a 10 gallon I rolled, but it worked out great too. I use gloss black rustoleum I believe. Krylon works just as good id imagine. I'd go with gloss in for cleaning purposes. No matter flat, satin, or whatever it will be the same from the inside through the glass. Tape off your trim and sides of tank and anything else that you don't want painted.

Sounds good Paul. Thanks, I will check that out to.

The wonders of plumbing. May I ask though why you aren't just going to a hardware store or a contractor's outlet? Ordering pieces online has to be much more expensive than the local stuff. When I did my first plumbing job I didn't know very much, I just went in with the bulkhead and said I needed that to fit and how many feet I needed to cover. They'll be more than willing to help.

When it comes to the back of your tank, that is easy. I used a black oil based paint and a sponge brush on mine. Took two coats, but could have had three. The only issue with mine was that the tank and sump were up and running when I painted it, so I had to have stuff over my sump to prevent anything from spilling into the water column. I talked about it some when I did it in my build thread, which should still be in my signature, if you are concerned or confused. It might take a good amount of reading to find it. I don't even remember if it was a flat or gloss paint.

The wonders of plumbing. May I ask though why you aren't just going to a hardware store or a contractor's outlet? Ordering pieces online has to be much more expensive than the local stuff. When I did my first plumbing job I didn't know very much, I just went in with the bulkhead and said I needed that to fit and how many feet I needed to cover. They'll be more than willing to help.

When it comes to the back of your tank, that is easy. I used a black oil based paint and a sponge brush on mine. Took two coats, but could have had three. The only issue with mine was that the tank and sump were up and running when I painted it, so I had to have stuff over my sump to prevent anything from spilling into the water column. I talked about it some when I did it in my build thread, which should still be in my signature, if you are concerned or confused. It might take a good amount of reading to find it. I don't even remember if it was a flat or gloss paint.

I am using colored plumbing parts from BRS and the colored plumbing is not carried in local stores. Since the back of the tank will be visible I didn't want the standard white plumbing. I am going with black pvc and dark gray fittings.
I did go into the local hardware store just to figure out what connection I needed so I could order the right ones.
I am in the process of painting my tank now with black spray paint. I just wasn't sure in the beginning what kind of paint to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Waiting for second coat of paint to dry. The first two coated are a black satin finish and the last coat will be a Metalic black.

New phone still getting use to it. Here is the attachment.

Attachments

• 1417197254507.jpg
    1417197254507.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 84
This paint dry to the touch really fast. I just put the third and last coat on. Will let it dry overnight.

I received the plumbing parts today and will try and get this tank up and running this weekend. I will post picks when it's up and running.

This paint dry to the touch really fast. I just put the third and last coat on. Will let it dry overnight.

I received the plumbing parts today and will try and get this tank up and running this weekend. I will post picks when it's up and running.

Sounds like a winner! Paint looks good. Metallic on the last coat huh? Just an appearance idea you came up with or? Either way I would recommend a gloss on final coat to make it easy to wipe of salt creep or anything and to make it more durable. Can't wait to see this tank come alive. :)

Sounds like a winner! Paint looks good. Metallic on the last coat huh? Just an appearance idea you came up with or? Either way I would recommend a gloss on final coat to make it easy to wipe of salt creep or anything and to make it more durable. Can't wait to see this tank come alive. :)

Yea I wanted to do a more glamorous look as the last layer since the back of the tank can be seen at an angle because of where the tank is located which is right off my living room. The Metalic coat has a gloss in it so no need for additional gloss.

Yea I wanted to do a more glamorous look as the last layer since the back of the tank can be seen at an angle because of where the tank is located which is right off my living room. The Metalic coat has a gloss in it so no need for additional gloss.

Ok, nice. Sounds good.

Started on the plumbing today. Hopefully tomorrow I can work on it some more.

Attachments

• 1417303087021.jpg
    1417303087021.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 1417303099706.jpg
    1417303099706.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom