New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Log line in place. Here are some pictures of the plumbing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418411942282.jpg
    1418411942282.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 1418412000747.jpg
    1418412000747.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 1418412037081.jpg
    1418412037081.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 88
  • 1418412049847.jpg
    1418412049847.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 93
More pictures.

Attachments

• 1418412084121.jpg
    1418412084121.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 1418412099618.jpg
    1418412099618.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 107
  • 1418412107747.jpg
    1418412107747.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 100
Ok I made a mistake and glued the pieces in my overflow box on the wrong bulkheads. I have them backwards. Can this be fixed?

I will try to heat them up with a heat gun tomorrow and see if I can soften the glue enough to get them out and reglue in the right place.

Ok I made a mistake and glued the pieces in my overflow box on the wrong bulkheads. I have them backwards. Can this be fixed?

Looks good, and incredibly similar to my tank! LOL. What exactly do you mean that you glued the pieces in your overflow box in the wrong bulkheads? Do you mean the elbow and the straight piece? if so this may be ok. As long as there is a decent gap between the top of the elbow and the top of the straight piece. Them being drilled at different heights was just kinda something I did on my own to allow a little more room in the box for the bulkheads and I didn't know 100% of how I was gonna adjust the height of my 2 drains for the herbie. Things just feel prefect though. If you used PVC cement I don't think a heat gun will do it. To be honest I'm not sure if anything will do it besides removal and replacement. I could be wrong on that however. I would run if full of water like you will do when the tank is up and running and see if you can adjust it and get it working right before trying to remove it. Also, the heat will loosen the silicone on the overflow box for sure. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you let me know how things go.

Looks good, and incredibly similar to my tank! LOL. What exactly do you mean that you glued the pieces in your overflow box in the wrong bulkheads? Do you mean the elbow and the straight piece? if so this may be ok. As long as there is a decent gap between the top of the elbow and the top of the straight piece. Them being drilled at different heights was just kinda something I did on my own to allow a little more room in the box for the bulkheads and I didn't know 100% of how I was gonna adjust the height of my 2 drains for the herbie. Things just feel prefect though. If you used PVC cement I don't think a heat gun will do it. To be honest I'm not sure if anything will do it besides removal and replacement. I could be wrong on that however. I would run if full of water like you will do when the tank is up and running and see if you can adjust it and get it working right before trying to remove it. Also, the heat will loosen the silicone on the overflow box for sure. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you let me know how things go.

I had glued the elbow in the lower bulkhead and the straight piece in the higher one. When I filled the tank and tested for leaks thats when i noticed that all of my water was draining through the emergency pipe and wasnt going through the main pipe with the filter sock. That's when i realized that i had the pieces in the overflow switched.

I was able to heat the pieces up with a heat gun and remove them. In order to do that I had to remove the overflow box. I also had to replace a section of pipe because the heat from the gun caused it to bend. I have the elbow and straight pieces glued back in the right place now. I just have to glue the overflow box back in now. I will do another water test one night this week and hopefully get this tank filled and cycling by the weekend.

I had glued the elbow in the lower bulkhead and the straight piece in the higher one. When I filled the tank and tested for leaks thats when i noticed that all of my water was draining through the emergency pipe and wasnt going through the main pipe with the filter sock. That's when i realized that i had the pieces in the overflow switched.

I was able to heat the pieces up with a heat gun and remove them. In order to do that I had to remove the overflow box. I also had to replace a section of pipe because the heat from the gun caused it to bend. I have the elbow and straight pieces glued back in the right place now. I just have to glue the overflow box back in now. I will do another water test one night this week and hopefully get this tank filled and cycling by the weekend.

Ok. Very good, glad you was able to get that all corrected! Did you use PVC glue on those fittings? I was unaware you could heat up PVC cement and remove it.

Yea you can heat them up but depending on how you use the fittings sometimes it changes the size of the inside of the fitting because of the heat and the glue that is left behind.

I will finish this build this weekend. I've been really sick with a bad cold since before Christmas. Just didn't feel like doing anything. I am hoping to get water in this tank this weekend. At least thats the plan. I will start mixing my water and salt tomorrow and figuring out my rock scape.

I will finish this build this weekend. I've been really sick with a bad cold since before Christmas. Just didn't feel like doing anything. I am hoping to get water in this tank this weekend. At least thats the plan. I will start mixing my water and salt tomorrow and figuring out my rock scape.

Sorry to hear about being sick, that stinks. Hope your feeling better. Can't wait to see this tank uo and running. Also, what did you end up getting from Andrew (BAM) and how is it doing?

Sorry to hear about being sick, that stinks. Hope your feeling better. Can't wait to see this tank uo and running. Also, what did you end up getting from Andrew (BAM) and how is it doing?

Thanks Paul. I do feel a little better. I am going to add a union on each pipe just in case I get a clog and have to clean the pipe out. So i am waiting for the 1 inch unions to come in so when I get those in place I can hopefully get this tank filled.

I need to work in my rock scape. Not sure how I am going to do the rock scape. I don't want the rocks sitting on the sand so I have to figure out a way to do that.

I did get a few frags from Andrew but they all keep dying. I have one that is still alive and that's out of five frags that I received. I don't know why they keep dying.

Thanks Paul. I do feel a little better. I am going to add a union on each pipe just in case I get a clog and have to clean the pipe out. So i am waiting for the 1 inch unions to come in so when I get those in place I can hopefully get this tank filled.

I need to work in my rock scape. Not sure how I am going to do the rock scape. I don't want the rocks sitting on the sand so I have to figure out a way to do that.

I did get a few frags from Andrew but they all keep dying. I have one that is still alive and that's out of five frags that I received. I don't know why they keep dying.

Glad you're doing better! I'm not sure why the frags are dying on you, that stinks! I've never got a coral from him that didn't do good. Maybe shipping had something to do with it, dunno. Rock scale is a tedious job, good luck on coming up with something you are happy with. Definitely want to put some base pieces of rock in before the sand for stability.

Glad you're doing better! I'm not sure why the frags are dying on you, that stinks! I've never got a coral from him that didn't do good. Maybe shipping had something to do with it, dunno. Rock scale is a tedious job, good luck on coming up with something you are happy with. Definitely want to put some base pieces of rock in before the sand for stability.

Thanks, the frags looked ok the first couple of days and I was out out of the office sick and when I came back in they had perished. I've had other frags shipped to me and they did well. The only thing I can think of is the corals were extremely cold when I received them. The heat packs Andrew is using aren't lasting long enough. I haven't told Andrew about this last batch that he sent me. I need to send him a message.

I think its also a problem with me not being here to monitor them. That's why I can't wait to move my tanks home. When I get my 40 gallon up and cycled I will start moving corals a little at a time.

Thanks, the frags looked ok the first couple of days and I was out out of the office sick and when I came back in they had perished. I've had other frags shipped to me and they did well. The only thing I can think of is the corals were extremely cold when I received them. The heat packs Andrew is using aren't lasting long enough. I haven't told Andrew about this last batch that he sent me. I need to send him a message.

I think its also a problem with me not being here to monitor them. That's why I can't wait to move my tanks home. When I get my 40 gallon up and cycled I will start moving corals a little at a time.

Yea, I didn't consider outside temp. I've personally never ordered any fish or coral unless I had the LFS or Andrew order it for me. I would let him know about the situation though. I hope you didn't loose too much money on the order! :(

I wouldn't order anything now, not until it warms up some anyways. Just my opinion.

Yea, I didn't consider outside temp. I've personally never ordered any fish or coral unless I had the LFS or Andrew order it for me. I would let him know about the situation though. I hope you didn't loose too much money on the order! :(

I wouldn't order anything now, not until it warms up some anyways. Just my opinion.

Andrew did replace the first batch that also parished. They were shipped 2 day and also arrive extremely cold. I'm going to let him know today. I dontbolan on ordering anything else until weather is warmer.

I received the PVC unions yesterday so I just have to attach those and get my rock work done and in the tank. I will probably do another water leak test before filling the tank with the salt water. I am hoping I have time to get that done this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom