New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I moved some rocks around and here is what i came up with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422297959452.jpg
    1422297959452.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 93
I like that lagoon type look, leaves an area for a nice sand bed centerpiece coral. A nice elegance, plate, or one of the meat corals would go great there imo

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like that lagoon type look, leaves an area for a nice sand bed centerpiece coral. A nice elegance, plate, or one of the meat corals would go great there imo

I like it much better than the other scape. Its always good to get feedback from other aquarist. Thanks BigRed.

Here is a picture of the tank with the light.

Attachments

• 1422364370192.jpg
    1422364370192.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 88
I'm going to have to hang the light to get it up higher. The picture makes it look like there are dark areas and there are a couple shaded spots but not as bad as in the picture. I'm hoping after I hang the light from the ceiling it will look better.

Just to let you know, those glass tops can really cut the light down that's getting into the tank unless you keep it very clean. You will find yourself cleaning salt creep off it often probably. Also, from what I have read, they can reduce gas exchange and oxygen in the water which is not a good thing. This is why I got rid of my glass tops in my old 35 hex front. Im sure with a sump you will still get plenty of oxygen and gas exchange and if you don't mind cleaning it all the time you can pull it off fine. Just FYI is all. :)

Just to let you know, those glass tops can really cut the light down that's getting into the tank unless you keep it very clean. You will find yourself cleaning salt creep off it often probably. Also, from what I have read, they can reduce gas exchange and oxygen in the water which is not a good thing. This is why I got rid of my glass tops in my old 35 hex front. Im sure with a sump you will still get plenty of oxygen and gas exchange and if you don't mind cleaning it all the time you can pull it off fine. Just FYI is all. :)

Thanks for the info Paul. So your tank is open on top.

OK I just finished hanging my light from the ceiling. Here's another picture.

Attachments

• 1422371860955.jpg
    1422371860955.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 97
Does that light look to high. I extended the cable down as far as it would go.

I like to add the sand last, and I use a funnel and a length of pvc to add the sand. Easier to "aim" and it keeps the cloudiness to a minimum.

I like to add the sand last, and I use a funnel and a length of pvc to add the sand. Easier to "aim" and it keeps the cloudiness to a minimum.

Thanks BigRed. That's a good idea to use a funnel and PVC. I think I will try that.

Thanks for the info Paul. So your tank is open on top.

Yes it currently is. I used to keep an eggcrate on my top to help prevent and jumping fish until it broke here recently. Just not gonna worry about it until I get to my new 40. I will probably leave it open. There are nice DIY screen tops as well that are possibly the best.
Does that light look to high. I extended the cable down as far as it would go.

Just looking at it, it does appear high. What kind of light is it?

I have a 120 watt LED panel over my 38 and it is about 9"-10" from the aquarium.

Yes it currently is. I used to keep an eggcrate on my top to help prevent and jumping fish until it broke here recently. Just not gonna worry about it until I get to my new 40. I will probably leave it open. There are nice DIY screen tops as well that are possibly the best.

Just looking at it, it does appear high. What kind of light is it?

Do you get a lot of water evaporation with an open top. It is a pain to have to clean the glass all the time. I may do the diy screen and take the glass lid off. I do like the look of the open top.

I have a Euphotica 24 full spectrum 120 watts. To lower it I would have to get some more cable which I may have to do.

Do you get a lot of water evaporation with an open top. It is a pain to have to clean the glass all the time. I may do the diy screen and take the glass lid off. I do like the look of the open top.

I have a Euphotica 24 full spectrum 120 watts. To lower it I would have to get some more cable which I may have to do.

I wouldn't say alot of evaporation, just usual I suppose. The ATO takes makes top off too easy. Personally I didn't consider it convenient to clean the glass lids. If left uncleaned for a while it can become very hard to get clear again. That light appears to be very similar to mine except mine isn't full spectrum.

I wouldn't say alot of evaporation, just usual I suppose. The ATO takes makes top off too easy. Personally I didn't consider it convenient to clean the glass lids. If left uncleaned for a while it can become very hard to get clear again. That light appears to be very similar to mine except mine isn't full spectrum.

I really like the light because i can customize it to simulate sunrise and sunset. I'm going to get some decorative chain today so I can extend my light down and cover the existing wire. I ordered another check valve and will install that when it comes in. Then I can fill the tank. The saltwater is at 1.023 salinity. I'm in the process of heating the water now.

Back
Top Bottom