New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of converting a 40 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater setup at my house so I can transfer my 20 & 29 gallon reef tanks at work into the 40 gallon. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I think it will be worth it in the end.

So far I have cleaned out the 40 gallon tank and I have ordered some dry rock to place in it. I plan to cure my dry rock with some seasoned pieces out of my tanks at work. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

depends on the Flowrate you have from the tank to the sump and back , not neccesarily overkill... could be fine ..

I plan on installing a Eheim 1260 (635 gph) pump for the return and I have a TOM overflow box on both my tanks at work which I will end up using one of those on the 40 breeder. The TOM overflow box can handle up to 800 gph. I've been very happy with it on my tanks at work. Thanks for your help. Do you think the Eheim 1260 is enough flow for the 40 breeder?

Thank you. I am suppose to be getting my rock today. It was suppose to arrive yesterday but it didn't show up.
I will take a few pieces of the seeded rock home today so I can hopefully get the rock in and tank filled over the weekend.

20 gal would make a nice sump for a 40. The more water volume the better! Be careful with some of the 'lace rock' they sell that has moss and dirt on it. I used it but it needs to be scrubbed VERY well. I would go with the white clean 'reef rock' types. I currently have a 39 gallon reef tank, do very close to a 40, but not as wide front to back.

20 gal would make a nice sump for a 40. The more water volume the better! Be careful with some of the 'lace rock' they sell that has moss and dirt on it. I used it but it needs to be scrubbed VERY well. I would go with the white clean 'reef rock' types. I currently have a 39 gallon reef tank, do very close to a 40, but not as wide front to back.

39 gallon sounds nice to. I wouldn't think a gallon of water would make that much difference in size. Yeah I agree that the more water volume you have the better. On that note I may have to wait on adding rock and water this weekend until I can get another 20 gallon long and build it into a sump. Only because I have to take my cabinet apart to add the sump in.
I ordered the clean white dry rock which is arriving today. I'm not going to rush through this build. I want to take my time and get everything right. I don't want to have any regrets down the road.
I will check the prices on the 20 long and maybe pick one up this weekend. I will have to get some glass cut to section off the sump refugium.

Sounds like a plan. I'm glad to see you are taking your time on it, rushing gets you nowhere in this hobby.

Sounds like a plan. I'm glad to see you are taking your time on it, rushing gets you nowhere in this hobby.

You are definitely right about that. I would rather get it right the first time around.
Going out at lunch time to Petco to see if they have any 20 gallon long tanks.

Ok picked my 20 gallon long today for the sump refugium. So I will be taking measurements tonight for the panels I will need. What is the best way to layout the sump refugium. I've checked YouTube and I've seen it done a few different ways. Not sure which way is the most effective. Any and all thought or ideas are welcome.

Went to Lowes and decided to go with Plexiglass instead of glass for my DIY sump only because the thickest glass they had was 1/8" and I didn't think that would be thick enough to hold up over time. So I went with the 1/4" plexiglass and had them cut it for me. I will probably install the plexiglass this weekend and place the sump in the cabinet.

Ok I have a question for y'all. Do you think I should get my tank drilled for a internal overflow? Instead of using my external overflow box. I'm kinda on the fence about this topic.

Ok I have a question for y'all. Do you think I should get my tank drilled for a internal overflow? Instead of using my external overflow box. I'm kinda on the fence about this topic.

As long as its drilled and bulkhead placed properly, Im all for drilling it. Drilled the one I have now, will be drilling my new one for Christmas. I think it looks a lot cleaner and you don't have to worry about the syphon breaking. You do however weaken the glass a bit and have a chance of it leaking in the bulkheads aren't seated right, but I have never had any problems and don't expect one.

I was leaning towards drilling it. Where can you get a tank drilled at? Thanks BigRed. I appreciate the input.

As long as its drilled and bulkhead placed properly, Im all for drilling it. Drilled the one I have now, will be drilling my new one for Christmas. I think it looks a lot cleaner and you don't have to worry about the syphon breaking. You do however weaken the glass a bit and have a chance of it leaking in the bulkheads aren't seated right, but I have never had any problems and don't expect one.

Are they hard to drill?

I was leaning towards drilling it. Where can you get a tank drilled at? Thanks BigRed. I appreciate the input.

You can just drill the tank yourself. You can order diamond hole bits off ebay for a good price. If you have a drill, water, and a steady hand, then your good to go! :)

Back
Top Bottom