new 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently have had a 20 gallon tank running for about 6 months with an emerald crab, 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and some narcissus snails. I have now been given a 55 gallon tank which I am currently in the process of getting set up however would anyone have any recommendations of what colorful or interesting fish would go well in a 55 gallon tank with those? Would it be possible to keep either a fox face, yellow tang or long nose yellow butterfly fish?

woody390 said:
Currently have had a 20 gallon tank running for about 6 months with an emerald crab, 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and some narcissus snails. I have now been given a 55 gallon tank which I am currently in the process of getting set up however would anyone have any recommendations of what colorful or interesting fish would go well in a 55 gallon tank with those? Would it be possible to keep either a fox face, yellow tang or long nose yellow butterfly fish?

Yellow tang no, butterfly stay away from if you want coral. A foxface would probably work... But once it got big you'd wanna find it a new home cause it'd be cramped. Chromis, cardinals, a wrasse, firefish, goby, blenny, anthrias. All good choices. Look on liveaquaria.com We can help when we know more what you like :) name some fish

Thanks to be honest im just looking for ideas at the moment, i don't want many fish just one maybe two more but want them to be nice ones. to be honest fox face would have ben my first choice anyway but wouldn't want it to be in space which it couldn't live in. only other one thatI really like the lookof is a valentini puffer but I wouldn't want my clowns and cleaners getting eaten. One other question is would you have any idea if you can mix narcissus snails with any sort of Hermit crabs? as I need to sort out my clean up crew too

woody390 said:
Thanks to be honest im just looking for ideas at the moment, i don't want many fish just one maybe two more but want them to be nice ones. to be honest fox face would have ben my first choice anyway but wouldn't want it to be in space which it couldn't live in. only other one thatI really like the lookof is a valentini puffer but I wouldn't want my clowns and cleaners getting eaten. One other question is would you have any idea if you can mix narcissus snails with any sort of Hermit crabs? as I need to sort out my clean up crew too

I have a mix of blue leg hermits with my snails. The only thing is You might want to get various extra shells and place them in the tank so that when the crabs grow they won't kill the snails for theirs.

I find that even if you do that the hermits pick off a few here and there but replacing snails is just something you gotta deal with.

May be a stupid question but I've read lion fish can live in 55 gallon tanks I assume it would not be compatible with the shrimps, clowns etc?

Dwarf lionfish are ok in a 55. They are really cool too. A regular lionfish grows SUPER big and wouldn't fit.

Mine hasn't and my clown is really small. There are pictures of him in my profile if you click on my name you can take a look...

What type of lip fish is it? How often do you feed it and what? Sorry for the questions just would be very cool addition to a tank

Its just called a Dwarf lionfish. There are 3 types from what I can tell, fuzzy dwarf, foomanchoo and dwarf.

When I got it he wasn't weened onto frozen food yet so he ate feeder fish that I bought weekly at the pet store. I'd feed him 4 feeders (minows) twice a week. It took about 2 months but i finally got him to eat frozen Krill. Now I feed him every 2 days about 4 big krill, the whole kind not the smaller chopped up stuff. He chases it around a bit and still feels like he's hunting. Since the krill he's gotten really big, he seems to be doing great on them...

Back
Top Bottom