new 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a question...what do you really gain by having an expensive controller? I am an engineer and love toys...but I cannot figure out how to justify a purchase this expensive. I placed a $50 web cam on my tank and that has made me happy for now.

I like having the automation. Everything is on a timer and I can rest a bit easier. Plus it's nifty to have. lol

Well... I kinda got sold after watching a BRS video on the RKL. Basically, the main selling point to me was the redundancy of safety. Shutting down a heater if it gets stuck on, etc. I suppose I also liked the salinity, temperature, and pH probes built in.

Other than that, for me there wasn't much other than having standby modes for the skimmer and PH's during feeding times.

Quite honestly, I don't really know enough to know whether I need one or not! ;)

I love spending money on my system...I just prefer to put it in live stock generally. I am somewhat cautious about how much automation I use as that can go wrong in a heartbeat. And I know what it costs to build these devices they ask $500 for. KISS (keep it simple stupid).

TLTGF said:
Well... I kinda got sold after watching a BRS video on the RKL. Basically, the main selling point to me was the redundancy of safety. Shutting down a heater if it gets stuck on, etc. I suppose I also liked the salinity, temperature, and pH probes built in.

Other than that, for me there wasn't much other than having standby modes for the skimmer and PH's during feeding times.

Quite honestly, I don't really know enough to know whether I need one or not! ;)

TBH I'd get an LED fixture instead (the panorama one is on sale for $500) then when I've got everything I need, I'd get a controller last.

Ok so I think my bio pellets are starting to work I am getting a bunch of algae growing I was told to just let it go for 8 weeks lets see how it goes

Might be done with my tank for awhile due to the fact I just got a harley so no more big buys for awhile

Thank you..... I was torn on the Harley or stuff for my tank and as you can tell the Harley won....lol

Question can bio-pellets make ur tank cycle again cuz my tank seems to be doing that and I lost an acro and my pagoda ain't looking so hot either

Ok so now my tank is really cloudy and all my sps died so I called my lfs they told me to take out the bio pellets and keep dosing my bacteria for a week and every time i dose shut down my skimmer for 4 hrs.... They seem to think it was a strain of a bad bacteria that went out of control with me adding the pellets so I will try it and see how it works

I just don't understand how there could be "bad" bacteria. I have heard this multiple times already. Do you think it's possible that this bacteria stuff just isn't working? I've cycled all of my tanks the "old fashioned" way and have never had a problem.
I've also never had a need for bio pellets.

I agree...I'm not a fan of adding bacteria, or super charging the bacteria for this very reason...it can spin out of control. Never used bio-pellets, but I would do water changes until I was back to square one.

Back
Top Bottom