new 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand what you are saying and I was starting to agree with you. But I just tested my water and the phosphates were at .05 and nitrates were down to zero ( but I have read at first you can get wrong readings ) so I will test again and see if changes later tonight before I go to work

Tested my water again and everything seems to still be getting better but it's only been 2 weeks I will give it more time and hope all will get better

No they r gone I am really bummed about that but I also think it is my lights as well.... They r 150 watt hqi and they sit about 4 inches off the water so I am looking to get a hanging kit for them

That is one of the things I think might be the issue
2 150watt hqi
2 130 watt attinics

That is the only other thing I can think of with them only being 4 inches off the top of the water. Tested again today and water seems to be right on mark so idk

Right I think it is to much.... That's y I want to raise it up off the water so it's not as close to the surface and I hope it will help stop with the bleaching of my sps

No way. You definitely don't have too much lighting for a 55 gallon tank. You can't just toss acropora in a new tank and expect it to grow like a weed. i know a guy that has 400 watters over 12" of water and his sps is beautiful. I had 8 x 54 watt t5s over 15" of water, with the sps almost 1" from the surface.

It's like a magic trick, if he told you, you would go "oh, is that all it is?" But seriously, I am interested in the answer because I have been able to keep, then kill Acros for years. In my case I think it is an unhealthy attraction to soft corals that keeps my Acros from growing really well.

That is the issue I have with frogspawns and torch coral and hammer corals and I love all 3 of them but I can't keep them

Acropora are the most delicate sps. I would suggest starting with montipora.
When you succeed with that, then try acros.
It's just a matter of consistency really. keeping your parameters stable and the water clean is my best advice. When everything looks great, I do a water change. When something looks funny, I do a water change. I don't ever skip.
I also over filter. An oversized skimmer and a large refugium would be in place. Actually, the skimmer I use now is too small for my liking, but I just can't afford to go larger right now. I believe i have a small bio load though.
On my old systems I would also not dose or add a single thing. I replaced all elements with water changes.
It worked very well for me.

Mr. X you said to start with monti what r some easy ones to sart with I had a monti cap and it did the same thing so I am at a loss

I do weekly water changes @ 5%
I dose b-ionic everyday as soon as the lights come on
And I feed phytoplex every 3 days

Back
Top Bottom